BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 6, 2014 10:29 pm  #361

Re: Recently watched movies.

Chris Pine is not my cup of tea either but he did totally nail a "Young Kirk."

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

March 7, 2014 6:26 am  #362

Oh I really like Chris Pine, bur Zachary....sigh.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 7, 2014 8:55 am  #363

tonnaree wrote:

Chris Pine is not my cup of tea either but he did totally nail a "Young Kirk."

Perfect, wasn't he!
I read somewhere that he he sent a letter to Shatner when he first got the part, and Shatner returned his seal of approval!

March 7, 2014 8:56 am  #364

besleybean wrote:

Oh I really like Chris Pine, bur Zachary....sigh.

Must be why we're attracted to Ben...so unique looking.

March 7, 2014 12:47 pm  #365

I"ve been a fan of Zachary since I first saw him as a villian on Heros.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

March 7, 2014 5:29 pm  #366

I was a late comer to his gorgeousness.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 8, 2014 11:03 pm  #367

I watched Deserter the other night. It has the eversogorgeous Tom Hardy in it. Basically, it is about a young, naive British lad who joins the French Foreign Legion. It is set around the time of the Algerian independence and the reaction of the Pieds Noirs. It is a moving, challenging and often tragic (ultimately very much so) story which is based closely upon real events. Tom is, as ever, quite wonderful. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 15, 2014 8:35 pm  #368

I watched today "The Grand Budapest Hotel". I wasn't disappointed : Wes Anderson is truly a magnificent director 

"Storming, enjoying, planning, loving, cautioning,
Backing and filling, appearing and disappearing,
I tread day and night such roads."
Walt Whitman

March 15, 2014 10:57 pm  #369

Ozymandias wrote:

I watched today "The Grand Budapest Hotel". I wasn't disappointed : Wes Anderson is truly a magnificent director 

Really want to see this;)
I watched Gravity this evening. I thought it was OK - I was glad that I waited and watched it at home though, rather than making a trip to the cinema to see it.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

March 15, 2014 11:02 pm  #370

I watched 'Mr. Nobody' with Jared Leto on the telly tonight. Brilliant and beautiful film if you ask me! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

March 15, 2014 11:06 pm  #371

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

I watched 'Mr. Nobody' with Jared Leto on the telly tonight. Brilliant and beautiful film if you ask me! 

True. I saw it in cinema at that time. But I had some issues to understand the whole concept of the movie.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

March 16, 2014 10:10 am  #372

Tinks wrote:

I watched Gravity this evening. I thought it was OK - I was glad that I waited and watched it at home though, rather than making a trip to the cinema to see it.

Hm, that's actually one of those movies that I think should really be watched on the big screen. I thought it was amazing, I was bound to my seat from the first to the (almost) last second.The ending was a bit cheesy, although I see the message. But all in all I was glad I saw it at the cinema. We saw it again recently at home and it's just not the same.

I saw "Grand Budapest" yesterday and absolutely loved it. It's quite breathtaking with how much detail Anderson composes each single frame... the camera work is stunning. And of course the story and the characters... absurd, funny, weird...

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

March 16, 2014 1:02 pm  #373

I appreciated the beauty of the cinematography Solar (if that's the right word!)
It was beautifully shot - we watched in 3D and it was - how can I put it? A nice thing to look at, and from that point of view, I can see your point about being better on the big screen.
I can't fault the acting, either (not enough Clooney though;))
Despite all this, it didn't really engage me enough - I felt if I'd seen it at the cinema I may have been disappointed.
I've noticed though that I'm a bit superficial with Movies; a lot of you are so much more appreciative of the art and the production of Movie making; I feel this is something I have to learn more about, and be more aware of

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

March 16, 2014 5:30 pm  #374

I'm usually not such a big fan of Sandra Bullock, but in this case she totally convinced me, Tinks. When she gets into the space station and takes her space suit off and the camera just stays with her for quite a while... I had tears in my eyes.

As for being superficial with movies: come on! It's totally okay to not analyse things to bits and pieces and just go with what your heart tells you about a film. I've got a degree in film studies, so this sort of analytical view always stays with me at least a bit, even if I don't really want it to. What I really always register is the camera work, but apart from that I first and foremost try to go with the emotions a film evokes in me.

Last edited by SolarSystem (March 16, 2014 5:45 pm)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

March 16, 2014 10:27 pm  #375

I do feel tempted sometimes, though, Solar, to take a basic film studies course of some kind (I don't think I'd ever be able to tackle a degree in the subject, I'm afraid!)
Just to be a bit more aware of what's gone into the process.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

March 30, 2014 12:39 pm  #376

The Expendables with Jason Statham and Sylvester Stallone. Well that's a couple of hours of my life I will never get back. Utterly, appallingly terrible! Apparently, they have made a sequel...words fail me!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 4, 2014 7:22 pm  #377

Just about to watch Trance.  Will let you know what I think afterwards.

April 5, 2014 9:14 am  #378

And? What's your verdict?

I saw "Trance" in the course of last year (I believe...?) and quite liked it. James McAvoy is one of my favourite actors anyway and I love films that mess with my brain. A little at least.

The last film I watched at the cinema was August: Osage County" and left quite disappointed. Nothing negative to say about the actresses and actors, they did their jobs well, but the story as such... I like drama, I really do, but enough is enough. At some point you just can't take it anymore and let your mind wander off.

Last edited by eurydike (April 5, 2014 9:16 am)

You get so alone at times that it just makes sense.

(Charles Bukowski)

April 5, 2014 10:43 pm  #379

Trance was great but it definitely messes with your mind (and his). James McEvoy is great in it (those eyes, gosh!). I also though the other actors were great too, including Danny Boyle's ex Rosario Dawson. We see quite a bit of her in it, don't we. I think, I actually need to watch it again, to try and make more sense of it. I like a film that makes me think and leaves me wishing to see it at least one more time.

April 7, 2014 9:13 am  #380

I watched Bernie last night, with Jack Black, Shirley MacLaine and Nathew McConnaughy.
A really intriguing, thoroughly watchable Movie, with Jack Black showing what he's capable of when given the right role.
I enjoyed it a lot.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

Board footera