BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 19, 2014 4:29 am  #341

Re: Recently watched movies.

Cypher (2002) with Lucy Liu...watched last weekend @ film4.
Mindbending mystery from the start and very clever even if you find the ending seems obvious.Pay attention., ask questions..who are theese brainwashing advertisement agencys..who do they represent.. and how do we escape them..and their influence/ control?
More to this film than the usual blah wow fx blah wow sexy girl....usual bs.
A clever and interesting film for thinkers..with much below the surface...if thats what u like.

Last edited by lil (February 19, 2014 4:33 am)

February 19, 2014 7:12 am  #342

I will see American Hustle. Agree with Miriel58. I think the word I would choose for Wolf is 'self-indulgent' ( and I am not referring to Leo's character but rather the director.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 19, 2014 12:30 pm  #343

I watched American Hustle two days ago. Fantastic movie. Christian Bale is great, Jennifer Lawrence just beautiful (and a great actress) and I love Bradley Coopers hair

February 19, 2014 9:43 pm  #344

HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN - Dull but has some funny violence and splatter and some of the worst dialogue I've ever heard in a movie.

TRANCERS - An 80s scifi flick that tries to be everything from BLADE RUNNER to classic film noir. Really bad acting and script but funny in it's badness here and there.

ROBOCOP (2014) - Some interesting ideas and looks pretty nice. If you're a fan of the original I recommend to watch this on the big screen. All the satire and graphical violence are gone from the original that is one of my favorite films from the 80s.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

February 19, 2014 11:50 pm  #345

I watched Little Favour yesterday and I'm still in some kind of 'What the hell was that'-state.

--------------------------------

"Yes, of course I forgive you."

February 21, 2014 12:00 am  #346

One of my friends went to see Robocop the other day. Her comment? 'That is two hours of my life I will never get back.'  No satire! What a wasted opportunity.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 23, 2014 8:12 am  #347

I was thinking of seeing Robocop as I'm a Gary Oldman fan and don't seem to see him n enough films these days.
I think I might wait until I can watch it at home though.
Yesterday I had a bit of a Movie Day and watched Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - a favourite Movie of mine.
Chekov's The Duel, with Andrew Scott - an interesting piece, well acted by him.
And Ghandi - a little dated in it's production now, but still an excellent and thought provoking work.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

February 23, 2014 11:34 pm  #348

Have you seen him in Batman: Dark Knight Rises? He is great in it. I love the way he underplays his roles. Such a talent!

February 24, 2014 6:24 am  #349

Davina wrote:

Have you seen him in Batman: Dark Knight Rises? He is great in it. I love the way he underplays his roles. Such a talent!

I'm planning to give that another watch soon
My absolute favourite performance of his is in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, for that very reason - the quietly underplayed elegance of it

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

February 24, 2014 9:09 am  #350

Yes, he is wonderful in it.

February 24, 2014 10:34 am  #351

He was fantastic in the Christopher Nolan's Batman films. He made a brilliant Commissioner Gordon   
Planning on watching The Fifth Element soon,

Last edited by ConsultingSociopath (February 24, 2014 10:40 am)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"It is simplicity itself"
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

March 5, 2014 10:55 pm  #352

I'm about to put 'On The Edge' with Cillian Murphy on my DVD player... haven't watched that in a while! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

March 6, 2014 6:35 am  #353

Watched Thor:the dark world.
Not my choice to be honest, and not really my thing.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

March 6, 2014 8:40 am  #354

I changed my mind and put on 'Breakfast on Pluto' instead... Gosh I've not watched this movie in ages!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

March 6, 2014 1:28 pm  #355

Went out last week and saw The Lego Movie.  It was loads of fun.  Much better than I ever thought it could be.
Finally watched Frozen too.  It was lovely.  Visually stunning and I loved the music.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

March 6, 2014 6:34 pm  #356

I finally watched the first of the new 'Star Trek' movies...basically, so I can be seeing the Khan/Benedict one (which I will watch on Sunday!).
Hubby and I thought it was really good! And the cast worked soooo well. Chris Pine made a perfect Kirk and I-forget-his-name played a brilliant Spock! I am a fan of Karl Urban (even since seeing him in Xena - Warrior Princess) and he made a fab Bones too.
Can't wait to see Into Darkness now!!!! I'd watch it right now but hubby is busy with work and thinks it's nice to watch new movies (that neither of us have seen before) together, so I shall be patient and wait.

March 6, 2014 6:51 pm  #357

How on Earth can you forget the drop dead gorgeous Zachary Quinto?!
By the way, if you think this one was good...
Wait til you see Into Darkness.
It will blow you away and Benedict just steals the show.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 6, 2014 7:08 pm  #358

besleybean wrote:

Ah, that's it, thanks - Zachary!! Yes, I found Spock sexier than Kirk, but then I've never gone for really conventionally handsome guys, I like them to look a bit different, if ya know what I mean.

Yes, I'm dying to see Into Darkness! But I promised hubby I'd wait...sigh!

March 6, 2014 9:33 pm  #359

I finally watched "The Hunger Games". Wow, I'm quite impressed.

-----------------------------
“Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.”
Terry Pratchett - A Hat Full of Sky

March 6, 2014 10:07 pm  #360

SpiralStaircase wrote:

besleybean wrote:

Ah, that's it, thanks - Zachary!! Yes, I found Spock sexier than Kirk, but then I've never gone for really conventionally handsome guys, I like them to look a bit different, if ya know what I mean.

Yes, I'm dying to see Into Darkness! But I promised hubby I'd wait...sigh!

Yes, I must admit I preferred Quinto in the first film, too.
Chris Pine played his part well, but I don't find him attractive - and then in the second film Benedict comes along and blows everyone else out of the water 

Last edited by Tinks (March 6, 2014 10:08 pm)

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

Board footera