BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 1, 2013 2:40 am  #261

Re: Recently watched movies.

Currently watching Ghostbusters.  It's Halloween, gotta have a ghost movie

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

November 1, 2013 6:04 am  #262

sj4iy wrote:

Good idea!! *Runs to get copy from shelf*

================================================================

November 1, 2013 10:20 am  #263

Mattlocked wrote:

I agree. I really liked Gravity. Very impressive! At some time I almost got lost and felt dizzy. I could also feel her fear at times.
Although I don't like all those extreme long movies - this one could have been a bit longer, IMO. At some scenes I needed more time to really "get into it".
I think we might buy the dvd, but it probably won't be the same on a small tv screen....

I agree, it could have been at least half an hour longer.
There were moments when I was completely lost in the story and the pictures... amazing. And at one point I even had tears in my eyes, when she finally enters the space station, takes off her space suit und just floats in that embryo position in zero gravity for a really long time... that was so beautiful, I couldn't believe it...  

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

November 1, 2013 10:44 am  #264

horserider99 wrote:

I just watched Now You See Me. It was a very interesting movie...I still haven't quite figured it out. 

The ending was surprising, but I got all the other twists. When one watches a movie about trickery, one should suspect being tricked.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The world is big enough for us, no ghosts need apply"

November 1, 2013 11:26 am  #265

Thor - The Dark World. 

A great film, better than the first one and very different from the Avengers film. Loki was all sassy (and handsome ) and everyone cheered for him. The film was also very funny and emotional at times.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

November 1, 2013 1:18 pm  #266

Someone should put Loki and Khan in a room... eh, movie together.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

November 1, 2013 6:13 pm  #267

teaEarlGrayhot wrote:

Argo was great.  I saw it with two former State Department folks who were acquainted with people in the actual events and who said it was really true to detail and the spirit of the event.  The story was very well-paced. 

Cool!   And they liked it, in general?  I agree - great pace, awesome story.  Just was curious about their view, as one of the 'minor technicalities' I mentioned in my post was that they really cut out a lot about how much the Canadians helped with the whole thing (which I read about afterwards, since I enjoy reading the 'trivia' section from IMDB on a film afterwards for fun background info).

sj4iy wrote:

Ack!  Yes -- meant to do something of the like, too!    I don't usually remember to watch a related movie for fun on certain holidays (i.e. 'Independence Day' on the day of ours, some lovey rom-com on Valentine's…) and worked all night Thursday, so that might be fun for tonight.  Not being a 'horror' type, you reminded me nonetheless of some awesome old sentimental 'lighter' favorites… may have to break out 'Nightmare Before Christmas' or 'Hocus Pocus' now….   

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

November 1, 2013 11:10 pm  #268

Has anyone seen the latest Romeo and Juliet with Hailee Steinfield and Douglas Booth? I've been thinking about seeing it, but I was wondering if it is even worth it...

Last edited by horserider99 (November 2, 2013 8:38 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Geniuses are often obsessive, and their clarity of intellectual insight can be depressing and isolating: by nature geniuses march to a different drum." - Ron Bracey

November 2, 2013 11:31 am  #269

Mary Me wrote:

Thor - The Dark World. 

A great film, better than the first one and very different from the Avengers film. Loki was all sassy (and handsome ) and everyone cheered for him. The film was also very funny and emotional at times.

I hate Loki, I am a Thorist

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The world is big enough for us, no ghosts need apply"

November 2, 2013 4:18 pm  #270

Sacrilege!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 2, 2013 6:43 pm  #271

Splutters! Hate Loki!?!? Were you dropped on the head as a baby? As for the film with Loki & Khan we sort of have had that...well the actors anyway...War Horse.

I watched Good Fellas for the first time in years last night. Gosh Joe Pesci is just epic in that film.

Last edited by Davina (November 2, 2013 6:44 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

November 3, 2013 1:50 pm  #272

Just saw "Gravity" with Sandra Bullock and George Clooney.  Amazing special effects!  A must see on the big screen in 3D. My summary is that it is was a very realistic movie with an unrealistic story line. But that's okay. It was worth seeing and kept me on the edge of my seat.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

November 3, 2013 7:04 pm  #273

Jacco111 wrote:

Mary Me wrote:

Thor - The Dark World. 

I hate Loki, I am a Thorist

You're dead to me.

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

November 3, 2013 7:07 pm  #274

I know, such heresy!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 3, 2013 7:52 pm  #275

I watched "The Fifth Estate" twice in four days.  Once the original, once the dubbed version. And I liked many things about the film. Most of all Benedict. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 3, 2013 8:52 pm  #276

SusiGo wrote:

I watched "The Fifth Estate" twice in four days.  Once the original, once the dubbed version. And I liked many things about the film. Most of all Benedict. 

What a shame I haven't watched it yet.  I bet Benedict's performance was stunning.

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

November 3, 2013 8:53 pm  #277

I can see me waiting for the DVD!

November 3, 2013 9:18 pm  #278

Yes, it is stunning. He is a totally different person, more so than in most other movies. His gestures, movements, voice, everything is different. And yet there are some moments in which you see a hint of Sherlock. The film has its flaws but I think it is definitely worth watching. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 4, 2013 3:28 pm  #279

Mary Me wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

What a shame I haven't watched it yet.  I bet Benedict's performance was stunning.

I haven't seen it yet either, really REALLY want to though! 

I recently watched Young Frankenstein (for the bazillionth time) and The Rocky Horror Picture Show (for the second time) ....'twas awesome 

Last edited by SilverMoonDragonB (November 4, 2013 3:28 pm)

-------------------------------------------------------

November 4, 2013 5:43 pm  #280

SilverMoonDragonB wrote:

I haven't seen it yet either, really REALLY want to though! 

I recently watched Young Frankenstein (for the bazillionth time) and The Rocky Horror Picture Show (for the second time) ....'twas awesome  

Ha… neat… I was this close to watching YF this weekend, too!  I had been musing the fact that I don't always remember to have fun breaking out a related movie for certain holidays such as Halloween, and that it would be fun to with a friend.  Turns out the only themed movies I had ever gotten in my collection though, were YF (a long-ago gift I don't even remember if I'd seen all of), and Hocus Pocus.    Of course, the latter one with it's cheesiness and youthful sentimentality won out. 

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

Board footera