BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 11, 2012 10:09 pm  #1

Semtex

As far as I know it's not actually possible to detonate semtex with a gun so when Sherlock points the gun at the bomb at the end it's really a bit redundant. There is a chance that he could shoot the lemon detonator but it's not 100% that he will blow them all up. If you shoot the actual semtex itself nothing will happen, you would have to shoot the detonator and even then there's a chance that it would just malfunction and not do anything.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 12, 2012 11:01 am  #2

Re: Semtex

Yeah, an explosive plot hole, I'm afraid.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 12, 2012 11:32 am  #3

Pfftt
Sherlock's an expert marksman, how dare you question his abilities in this aspect.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 12, 2012 8:12 pm  #4

what brought THIS on?  I  didn't even know this.   What I do know is this--- any kind of bomb will explode,  if you know WHAT to shoot.   I've seen  it  done in Blazing Saddles....and other movies....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 13, 2012 2:36 am  #5

Ah well if they do it in Blazing Saddles, it must be so.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

July 8, 2012 10:32 am  #6

Sorry, how do we know it was semtex?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We solve crimes, I blog about it and he forgets his pants, so I wouldn’t hold out too much hope. (Scandal in Belgravia)

I asked you for one more miracle. I asked you to stop being dead..........I heard you.(The Empty Hearse)

July 8, 2012 11:36 am  #7

Lestrade says " somewhere out there some poor bastard is covered in Semtex"
Also, the explosive is red = Semtex
Also, Wiki wouldn't lie " Semtex is also the explosive used by Jim Moriarty (portrayed by Andrew Scott) in episode three, The Great Game, of the popular series Sherlock."

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

July 8, 2012 4:36 pm  #8

Haha brilliant, love wiki.

July 9, 2012 2:49 pm  #9

Thanks for the confirmation I was meaning the explosive on John's vest. I'm watching on my PC and couldn't see if it was meant to be Semtex.

edited add on - bad case of seeing explosives and not observing the type. I can now see it is the orange coloured  Semtex and as it was the commentary of the Great Game I played while working I know  what had initially thrown me was Mark Gatiss referring to it on that commentary as Gelignite.

Mystery solved : )

Last edited by Morton (July 10, 2012 10:34 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We solve crimes, I blog about it and he forgets his pants, so I wouldn’t hold out too much hope. (Scandal in Belgravia)

I asked you for one more miracle. I asked you to stop being dead..........I heard you.(The Empty Hearse)

July 12, 2012 8:52 am  #10

I had this idea that Sherlock knew it wouldn't blow up if he shot it, but he also knew that Moriarty probably didn't know that. He's a criminal mastermind who is great at orchestrating things, pulling strings, threatening people etc...he doesn't claim to be a chemistry expert unlike Sherlock. Also, there's no reason why John would know that either, despite his military career he was really only on the medical side and wouldn't have had to have a great deal of knowledge on explosives. So basically Sherlock was bluffing, knowing that Moriarty would back down anyway.

July 12, 2012 6:56 pm  #11

Cool idea 

But if Semtex doesn't blow up when it's shot at, wouldn't the marksman have been pointless, too? Stupid errors 

July 12, 2012 9:00 pm  #12

The Semtex won't blow up but the detonator would if that was shot.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 12, 2012 10:15 pm  #13

True. I'm just saying that the marksman would have to be a pretty good shot to blow it up, too. And he was waving the laser thing (whatever the heck it's called) around a lot...

Oh well. I suppose we just have to assume they're both expert marksmen. 

July 16, 2012 3:27 pm  #14

Well Sebastian Moran is supposed to be one of the greatest in the world so I should imagine Moriarty has all top men working for him.

July 17, 2012 4:52 am  #15

And Sherlock certainly is, he excels in all areas because, he is Sherlock.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

Board footera