BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 10, 2012 3:31 pm  #1

Euro 2012

I don't know if any of you are into football (or shall I say soccer? I really don't get that distinction, sorry).

In 2008 Spain won this competition (and after that the World Cup) and though I'm not a fan of football in itself, I love to see "La Roja" play and I want them to win again!
So... Go! Yes, we can!

Anyone is following Euro 2012? Which team are you rooting for?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

June 10, 2012 3:38 pm  #2

Re: Euro 2012

Yes, I do, Irene. Germany of course.
Germany 1 Portugal 0 yesterday. Will watch Spain vs Italy in half an hour.
Will watch as many matches as possible. Love football! Good luck to La Roja!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 10, 2012 3:38 pm  #3

I have a £5 bet on Holland.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 10, 2012 3:49 pm  #4

Germany - because they deserve it. Go, boys! 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 10, 2012 3:50 pm  #5

England, though I doubt very strongly that we will win!!!
So, I'll go for Spain with Irene. What's the Spanish equivalent of Vive la France?

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

June 10, 2012 3:50 pm  #6

I love watching Germany play, tobe, they are great. And I think Özil is one of the best players at the moment

Boss... Holland? Ok, they're pretty good but... I still haven't forgiven De Jong for his flying karate kick to my dear Xabi Alonso in the Final of the World Cup... 

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

June 10, 2012 7:50 pm  #7

Yes, Özil's really great but he can do better than yesterday. Let's hope for the match against the Netherlands on Wednesday!

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 10, 2012 7:59 pm  #8

let me know when the finals are,  ok?  those are the only soccer/football  games  I'll keep tabs on.  USA   almost made it,  last year.   How are they doing this year?   Ok  I'm a doofus.  I  admit it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 11, 2012 12:36 pm  #9

I have posted this on the Bored! Thread as well but I thought it might...well...get you in the mood.
To be fair in No.6 the guy does stamp on the other guy's foot.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Lim2Wgjqd0

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 11, 2012 12:48 pm  #10

Irene, there are two different types of football in the Uk where it started: rugby football ('rugby' occasionally called 'rugger') and the other type sometimes called 'soccer' to distinguish it from 'rugger'. In North America it is called 'soccer' to distinguish it from American Football.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 11, 2012 2:15 pm  #11

Davina wrote:

Irene, there are two different types of football in the Uk where it started: rugby football ('rugby' occasionally called 'rugger') and the other type sometimes called 'soccer' to distinguish it from 'rugger'. In North America it is called 'soccer' to distinguish it from American Football.

Thanks, Davina... this is something I really didn't know, now it's a bit clearer for me

Off topic: Rafa Nadal has won his seventh Roland Garros. Isn't he GREAT? 

June 11, 2012 3:06 pm  #12

He is indeed! He is one of my son's sporting heroes. He'll be so pleased he won, although he likes Djokovic as well. He's in Tenerife at the moment so no doubt he will be out celebrating his hero's win tonight.

Glad the soccer thing helped. To be honest I'm not sure even that many Brits understand where it is from.

What does make me smile is when Canadians say (and I suppose Americans do too) 'shoes' instead of 'boots'. As in what you wear on your feet to play football/soccer.

June 11, 2012 4:02 pm  #13

Just home from work. Sitting on the sofa now and watching France vs England. Go - Three Lions!

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 11, 2012 4:29 pm  #14

Who's 3 lions?

Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 

June 11, 2012 4:32 pm  #15

Three lions on the shirt - Jules Rimet still gleaming...
The team that just scored 1 : 0...

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 11, 2012 7:16 pm  #16

Bizarre! The German explaining the Three Lions to the Brit. Lol. I think Benedict was in The Three Lions film, I'm just off to check!
No. Lol. The film is The Four Lions. Still got to check if he was in it though!

Yes, he was. He played a negotiator. Now to see if I can find a clip.
No clip with Benedict in it 

Last edited by Davina (June 11, 2012 7:38 pm)

June 11, 2012 7:19 pm  #17

Yep, I've let down the whole nation; sorry Lizz!! 

June 11, 2012 7:57 pm  #18

Oh yes, the Four Lions film! I bought in London last year for just 3 pounds - and I swear that I didn't know that Benedict was in it. When I realised I nearly fell off my couch. Maybe my subconscious told me to buy it?

Last edited by tobeornot221b (June 11, 2012 8:00 pm)

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 11, 2012 8:06 pm  #19

Yes, it was definitely your subconscious. It can play hideous tricks on the brain (to quote The Smiths)

June 11, 2012 8:09 pm  #20

But then  Benedict is apparently in almost EVERY British film these days...

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

Board footera