BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 8, 2014 8:20 am  #101

Re: Amazing Grace

I won't be biased where Benedict's performances are concerned since I think it does him a disservice to blindly say that he's brilliant in every role; it sort of lessens the impact of the praise when he truly has been outstanding.
So it's in all honesty that I say that I think his performance in this Movie was one of the best in the film.
I've said earlier that I had problems with the way Wilberforce was played, but I think Ben, is unafraid to show the flaws in his characters as well as the good points, and that's why he was more engaging to watch in this.
I maybe need to watch it again on Netflix, since I was slightly disappointed in the Movie itself first time around.

Last edited by Tinks (June 8, 2014 8:37 am)

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

June 8, 2014 8:49 am  #102

SusiGo wrote:

He has the better part IMO where he can show all shades of his character from youthful ambition to the deathbed scene. Wonderful. 

Then again, theoretically the role of Wilber would have given the actor the chance to show lots of different emotions and shades of character as well... but something was missing there. It might be the screenplay, it might the actor, don't know, but...
Benedict pulled this off flawlessly, as if he truly belonged in that time, in those situations.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

June 8, 2014 8:50 am  #103

Glad it's not just me that felt that way, Solar.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

June 8, 2014 10:13 am  #104

Slowly catching up on the Benedict back log but this is one I still have to watch.   
I need a vacation.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 8, 2014 10:16 am  #105

Yep, this is a must see.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 8, 2014 1:48 pm  #106

I somehow managed to miss this one! Thank you for the comments on it, I'm going to get a copy!

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

June 11, 2014 4:01 pm  #107

Remembering the role of the director in the portrayal of any character.,

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 11, 2014 5:22 pm  #108

What do you mean, Davina? 

I'm curious because the portrayal of the characters is one of the questionable things in this movie.
I really love the movie, but its historical inaccuracies that serve the purpose of sanctifying Wilberforce on the cost of his friends and co-workers make me uneasy.
Which is quite sad, considering the important subject.

Last edited by Harriet (June 11, 2014 5:23 pm)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

June 12, 2014 11:06 pm  #109

I recorded this the other night.

Was just about to put kids to bed walked past telly and was like 

OOH ITS BENNY.

Mum sat & watched it and said she really enjoyed it 

Bear in mind mum has no taste lol she thinks Ben is a "creepy looking ba**ard"

She didnt even recognise him in it lol.

Benedict Cumberbatch

"So, I am human, I’m not as tall as people think I am... I’m nice-ish, clever, important to some people, but I tend to rub them up the wrong way."

August 24, 2014 3:03 pm  #110

Happy birthday, William Wilberforce! 

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

August 24, 2014 3:59 pm  #111

Yes, indeed. And thank you also for co-founding the RSPCA. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 24, 2014 6:06 pm  #112

Only sad that fanfiction wasn't really your cuppa, Wilber - what a pity 

"The Society for the Suppression of Vice was founded by William Wilberforce following a Royal Proclamation by George III in 1787 the Proclamation for the Discouragement of Vice, on the urging of Wilberforce, as a remedy for the rising tide of immorality.
(...) As listed in an address published in 1803, the Society's particular concerns were: "profanation of the Lord's Day and profane swearing; publication of blasphemous, licentious and obscene books and prints; selling by false weights and measures; keeping of disorderly public houses, brothels and gaming houses; procuring; illegal lotteries; cruelty to animals" "

source: wikipedia

scnr 

Last edited by Harriet (August 24, 2014 7:25 pm)

December 23, 2014 4:38 pm  #113

I recently had the opportunity to re-watch Amazing Grace and I can say I enjoyed BC's performance greatly.  His portrayal of Pitt the Younger was instrumental in toning down the preachiness of the film I think (which is essential when presenting a film with such important and socially relevent ideas like this one was).  His death scene brought tears to my eyes.  I am a big fan of IG's Hornblower series (but he wasn't my favourite in that show - Jamie Bamber was!) and so I initially watch this movie to see IG in the staring role.  But Cumberbatch just takes over the screen when he is present so it is hard not to notice his performance. 

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

March 24, 2015 3:59 am  #114

I finished watching Amazing Grace today. What an inspiring and moving film. It's not a subject I learned about at school, and I feel I learned quite a bit watching this (I do understand it is a dramatisation and may not be completely accurate – I have yet to do any of my own research). I like movies that inform me while stirring my emotions. If I wasn't already teary from the deathbed scene, I was definitely crying by the end of this movie.

It's a beautiful film to watch, I'm a sucker for a good historical/period piece with all the costumes and architecture. It must be so much fun dressing up and affecting all the mannerisms of the time. The entire cast was quite remarkable, especially Alert Finney and Michael Gambon, those two wonderful scene-stealers

I'm blown away but yet another powerful performance by BC, and I'm still swooning from the scene with Ben and Ioan playfully racing each other (I just love those gifs that were linked earlier in the thread). My continued insistence in watching everything Benedict has ever been in, is not helping my fangirl crush!

Last edited by ukaunz (March 24, 2015 4:20 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 24, 2015 7:56 am  #115

Yes, it is a very good film and I love Benedict in it. Same goes for Michael Gambon, he is brilliant. And, no, it is not historically very accurate but when Harriet is back she can tell you more about that. Especially the contribution of Thomas Clarkson has been very overlooked in the film. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 28, 2015 10:25 am  #116

Anyone celebrating a birthday with me? Today is the day to say  HAPPY BIRTHDAY, THOMAS CLARKSON!  

(Yes, I posted some links here to get a better knowledge of the context, audio and text.)

Last edited by Harriet (March 28, 2015 10:26 am)

Board footera