BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 28, 2014 1:03 pm  #81

Re: Amazing Grace

It's on Netflix!  Cool.  *adds to que*

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

February 28, 2014 1:03 pm  #82

Interesting observation, Tinks, about Gruffyd. Matches in some way the script writers' decisions, imho.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

February 28, 2014 1:16 pm  #83

Harriet wrote:

Interesting observation, Tinks, about Gruffyd. Matches in some way the script writers' decisions, imho.

Do you think it was a deliberate approach then?
Maybe I'm being unkind to Gruffyd in that case - I just felt that at times he was almost detached from the rest of the Movie, and as a viewer, i felt detached from him at times.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

February 28, 2014 1:21 pm  #84

No, I don't think so. But the script is a somewhat overdone sanctification of Wilber and it could be this influenced the actor.
Can you tell the most striking scenes?

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

February 28, 2014 1:34 pm  #85

In all honesty, I don't think I could point to an individual scene; it really was an overall impression I got throughout the film, and a lot of it was in his bearing and expression so that's why I pointed at his performance rather than the script - maybe it was a bit of both.
The best way I can describe it is that he reminded me of a Dickensian Hero - wholly and completely good (I love Dickens but it's one of the features of his writing that good is good and bad is bad).
I suppose what I'm really saying is that I found his performance a bit one dimensional.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

February 28, 2014 10:19 pm  #86

Dickensian Hero - you have really interesting ideas. Wilberforce was probably much of a Victorian even still in Georgian times.
And the point of view that is being expressed in the movie goes also back to Victorian influences.

February 28, 2014 10:21 pm  #87

We do know that the Georgian period was before the Victorian one?
And the term 'Victorian' would have been unimaginable at that time.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 28, 2014 10:29 pm  #88

Still Wilberforce and the Clapham Sect anticipated a lot of the Victorian spirit.

And the script is also rather based on a certain Victorian Wilberforce biography.

Last edited by Harriet (February 28, 2014 10:32 pm)

February 28, 2014 10:36 pm  #89

I apologize if I seem to be difficult.
I just have real probelms with terms like ' Vitiorian' spirit.'
For me it's just something like' Britsih values', it seems a nonsense.
I don't know what people mean when they use terms like that.
Why does anything have to belong to a particular culture/era/nature/
So what do you mean by ' Victorian spirit'?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 1, 2014 9:41 am  #90

Well, you might wish to read the article "The Georgians: A true age of sexual discovery" http://www.amanda-foreman.com/express.shtml# by Amanda Foreman

The Georgian era was ended by the rise of evangelical Christianity, the prolonged war with France and the growing power of the middle classes. By the 1830s, Britain was far more sober and serious. Lord Palmerston found himself the only politician still wearing rouge in Parliament.

or the book by Ben Wilson "Decency & Disorder - The Age of Cant 1789-1837"
for a start and you will find an answer.

March 1, 2014 10:52 am  #91

Thank you.
Though presumably this is Georgian, not Victorian!

March 1, 2014 10:56 am  #92

Like I said, read some material about Wilberforce and his group 

Last edited by Harriet (March 1, 2014 11:22 am)

March 1, 2014 11:12 am  #93

I went to his museum years ago, I must pay a return visit.

March 1, 2014 11:22 am  #94

Instead of my 12:15 edit #92

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clapham_Sect
The Clapham sect have been credited with playing a significant part in the development of Victorian morality, through their writings, their societies, their influence in Parliament, and their example in philanthropy and moral campaigns, especially against slavery. In the words of Tomkins, "The ethos of Clapham became the spirit of the age".

March 28, 2014 8:49 pm  #95

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, THOMAS CLARKSON! 

(scnr)

March 28, 2014 8:54 pm  #96

Many happy returns, Thomas Clarkson. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 17, 2014 7:20 pm  #97

For German fans who are interested and are able to receive Servus TV ... just spotted by accident that the film is shown at 11pm tonight. Dubbed version ... unfortunately ...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

June 8, 2014 7:20 am  #98

This was on telly last night on a channel I don't normally get - and I missed the first 45 minutes😡

But what I saw I thought it was a great film and, I know im probably biased, but benedict was by far the stronger actor and played Pitt wonderfully.

And what can we say about the running scene?? Swoon

Aside from anything else HOW FAST is he?? What an athlete he appears to be too! Is there anything he can't do?

I'm clueing for looks

June 8, 2014 7:39 am  #99

I didn't watch it, as I have the DVD.
But yes, it is wonderful;.
You're not biased, cos my parents thought Benedict was totally brilliant in this!

June 8, 2014 8:18 am  #100

He has the better part IMO where he can show all shades of his character from youthful ambition to the deathbed scene. Wonderful. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Board footera