BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 16, 2013 12:02 pm  #41

Re: Amazing Grace

I admit that I watched the film just to see Ben's performance. And I like him most when Pitt and Wilberforce behave like boys and run around in the garden. It is so cute. Imagine the Prime Minister doing that.

A still from here: http://vimeo.com/37259988

After I saw the film I got interested in Pitt's life story and learned that he was the youngest Prime Minister and apparently a very intelligent man who tried to abolish slavery for years without success and finally succeeded. He is famous for his speeches in parlament. Sir William Hague wrote a biography about William Pitt the Younger.

Last edited by Be (June 16, 2013 12:03 pm)

June 26, 2013 6:58 pm  #42

Today I've been knowing this film for six months. Port! Cheers! 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

June 26, 2013 7:01 pm  #43

Congrats, time for a celebration. And a pic for you (this always reminds me of ASiP): 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 26, 2013 7:04 pm  #44

Yes, it does! Thanks! 

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

June 26, 2013 7:29 pm  #45

SusiGo wrote:

Congrats, time for a celebration. And a pic for you (this always reminds me of ASiP): 

I really need to watch this movie again, the first time I saw it was way before the floodgates of Benedict/BBC Sherlock opened for me, so I had next to no idea who he was at the time...I loved the film, and greatly enjoyed the performances of many of the actors/actresses, I can hardly remember it though...time to watch it again! 

-------------------------------------------------------

June 26, 2013 7:30 pm  #46

Excellent idea, it's definitely a film to watch more than once. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 23, 2013 11:43 pm  #47

Harriet wrote:

Lovely find from the Rufus Sewell board:
http://rufussewell.proboards.com/thread/169?page=7

"the only actor i did not know in the top credits is the young guy who played william pitt. i liked him. historically he has perfectly captured the style and manners of the era he was portraying,while he was probably the youngest actor on board. he perfectly rendered Pitt's conflicting convictions. as is very rare for a young actor, he portrayed the ravages of age with dignity and made them so believable..."

In fact, I thought Benedict was one of the few actors in the film who captured the comportment of the times.  We modern folks sit and stand so comfortably most of the time...but not so in the 1700's and 1800's.  Benedict steals the scene a number of times becuase he's the only one in the frame who is still, composed, with good posture. All a 1790's gentleman need do is tilt his head or cast a glance to speak volumes.  He conveys so much of his friendship with William with the subtle gestures.

Once again, beautiful!  

Oh, here's a nice vid that captures some scenes from the film
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqDmmV-jBcA

M: Tradition, John. Our traditions define us.

Harry: ...And Mr. Holmes, the younger.  You look taller in your photographs.
SH: I take the precaution of a good coat and a short friend.

September 24, 2013 6:51 am  #48

Thanks for the video, it's beautiful. 

September 24, 2013 1:44 pm  #49

Need to check and see if this one is on Netflix.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

September 24, 2013 1:54 pm  #50

Good luck, tonnaree. It's brilliant.

September 24, 2013 4:59 pm  #51

Thanks for bringing this thread up again, so far I have not watched this film because I thought that Ben probably only has a few lines and that's it. Now that I know that I was totally wrong about that, I'll have to watch it asap.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

September 24, 2013 5:20 pm  #52

It's a beautiful film and his part is really important. It tells not only a political story but also that of a great friendship. 

Last edited by SusiGo (September 24, 2013 5:23 pm)

September 24, 2013 5:50 pm  #53

It is an amazing story!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 24, 2013 6:13 pm  #54

And one I did not know anything about. Not even that it is an English and not a Black American song. 

September 24, 2013 8:01 pm  #55

SusiGo wrote:

It's a beautiful film and his part is really important. It tells not only a political story but also that of a great friendship. 

I already ordered the DVD today - and if I hadn't done it yet, that pic would make me do it right now.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

September 24, 2013 8:04 pm  #56

Brilliant film.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 24, 2013 8:45 pm  #57

SolarSystem wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

I already ordered the DVD today - and if I hadn't done it yet, that pic would make me do it right now.

(*nonchalantly slides some gifs of that scene in Solar's direction*)   http://cheekbonesofbenny.tumblr.com/post/26719382660
And 'yes' to above.... it's absolutely wonderful. 

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

September 24, 2013 8:48 pm  #58

Gorgeous pix.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 24, 2013 9:30 pm  #59

Oh Russell, how dare you...! How can you do this to me?! That makes me wanna see the movie right now...! And oh my, he looks so young...!

October 1, 2013 5:54 pm  #60

teaEarlGrayhot wrote:

Oh, here's a nice vid that captures some scenes from the film
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqDmmV-jBcA

Thanks for sharing! Beautiful and insightful work 

Last edited by Harriet (October 1, 2013 6:00 pm)

Board footera