BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 10, 2012 2:19 am  #1

Stephen Hawking's Grand Design

I was walking past a television this afternoon and I swear to god there was Benedict Cumberbatch narrating a documentary on the Discovery channel.

Or am I just nuts? (To be fair, my mind kind of jumped to him when I saw Hawking's name)

Did anyone else see this, and if so do you agree that it was either him or a very scary sound-alike?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

June 10, 2012 2:21 am  #2

Re: Stephen Hawking's Grand Design

I didn't see it, but pretty sure Benedict played Stephen Hawking (in his earlier years) in a documentary or something. Seem I remember an interview where Benedict talked about how intimidating it was trying to talk to such a brilliant man...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

June 10, 2012 2:23 am  #3

Oh, I re-read your original post, and I think you already knew that--you were talking about something else? No clue. I'll shut up now. I'm lowering the IQ of the entire forum...

Last edited by Tantalus (June 10, 2012 2:23 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

June 11, 2012 2:29 am  #4

No, no, you're not! I did know that Benedict played him on Hawking, which is why they thought maybe he would make a good choice. That was a dramatisation, not a documentary, though. This, however, was a documentary.

He was actually reading stuff written by Hawking, which just strengthened the perception, because it obviously wasn't Hawking talking (it wasn't a computer, it was clearly a British man in his mid-thirties with a really sexy voice)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't know; I saw.

June 11, 2012 2:37 am  #5

Yes Benedict did narrate a documentary on Hawking called " Into The Universe with Stephen Hawking".

Here is more info on it here:

http://dallasmatier.hubpages.com/hub/Documentary-Series-Into-the-Universe-with-Stephen-Hawking

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 11, 2012 8:24 am  #6

Haha! :D
Yes, he did indeed lend his voice to Stephen Hawking several times, including a TV documentary!

Hawking and Cumberbatch together is just perfection.

June 12, 2012 12:26 am  #7

Yes! I knew it! I knew I knew that voice.

I didn't know; I saw.

October 7, 2012 4:52 pm  #8

I remain confused about this one.
Everybody kept going on about it being a new series, but I'm sure I've seen it before!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 4, 2012 5:01 pm  #9

I actually watched/listened to this a couple of weeks ago. I'm not keen on much of Hawking's theories, but Ben's voice is an aphrodisiac that's very hard for me to resist. I watched as much as I could, given the material, which is more than I would have if not for that voice. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

November 4, 2012 5:03 pm  #10

Thankfully I'm almost as  big a fan of Hawking as I am of Benedict.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera