BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 23, 2012 8:15 pm  #21

Re: Some new, small observations after playing it at lower speed

I wonder about the ball, though. Was it just in the scene to show that Sherlock was trying to pass the time? He does frequently seem to be fiddling with something. He's got so much energy and has to release it somehow. I think I heard BC in the commentary say something about how he's always fiddling with something. To me it is in character. But back to the question at hand (no pun intended) - how does one stop one's pulse with a rubber ball?

Note: Sherlock does put his hands over his head while he's still on the roof. And, yeah, there seems to be a tear or two.

I have to say, that even if someone said he was a doctor, I'm not sure the EMTs (emergency medical team/techs) or nurses would just let him run up and touch a body/injured person. Still, it does seem like they're keeping people away, as Sammy said.

Sammy, thanks for the shots and ideas.

June 23, 2012 9:29 pm  #22

m0r1arty wrote:

Is it Heath Ledger's Joker from The Dark Knight Kazza?

Sherlock is a machine (Or as close to one as a person can get), he's not sad at the graveside - he's observing his plan in action.

Nice remarks Sammy! Always good to go over the details and speculate on the potential ways it occurred.

-m0r

Small shameless plug. My boyfriend's son is an actor in The Dark Knight movie. He gets pushed by Heath Ledger at the cocktail party.

Sherlock is definitely sad. Agree that the nurses/medical people act totally out of character. I think Sherlock pulls the ball out of his pocket after he lands.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disguise is always a self portrait

June 24, 2012 1:35 am  #23

Sentimental Pulse wrote:

Small shameless plug. My boyfriend's son is an actor in The Dark Knight movie. He gets pushed by Heath Ledger at the cocktail party.

OH MY CROFT, REALLY? REALLY!?
He.. what... aahhhh. You know someone who is an actor... who was in The Dark Knight... who met Heath-fucking-Ledger!?
Wow. :O
How can you... just drop that information as if... argh.
This forum is full of way too cool people.

Oh my. I love that movie way too much. Yet another reason to re-watch it.
I might... know all of The Joker's lines by heart. I'm not crazy, though. Really. Okay, maybe a bit.

Totally off-topic, sorry!

June 24, 2012 2:23 am  #24

Sammy wrote:

Now I'm thinking about how Sherlock might have slowed down the pulse in his arm if not with the rubber ball... (which seems more and more unlikely the more I think about it)

Well, there's SOME reason for the rubber ball, Sammy, and I still like the pulse theory.  Maybe that's why he turned on the ground -- to place the ball under his arm?

That's a beautiful shot you chose from the cemetery.  I don't recall seeing a front-on view all the times I've watched it!  My sense was that he was just clinically assessing the situation, thinking of what his next steps were to be.  But this freeze frame, to me, looks as though his heart is hurting and heavy with sadness.  I'm of the belief that Sherlock is thawing, for lack of a better word, and that the pain his "death" is causing John makes him so sad.  I know it's not according to canon, but I want "our" Sherlock to have some happiness. 

June 24, 2012 4:01 am  #25

They have to be careful though. If they go too far with the thawing, the tension of hoping he'll thaw will be gone. It's like with Spock in the original Star Trek. They had one episode where he went completely emotional, but it had to be due to a drug and then he went back to being himself. (Wait a minute. That sound familiar.) Otherwise, he wouldn't be Spock. And Sherlock wouldn't be Sherlock.

Not sure I'm being clear.

June 24, 2012 10:20 am  #26

veecee wrote:

They have to be careful though. If they go too far with the thawing, the tension of hoping he'll thaw will be gone. It's like with Spock in the original Star Trek. They had one episode where he went completely emotional, but it had to be due to a drug and then he went back to being himself. (Wait a minute. That sound familiar.) Otherwise, he wouldn't be Spock. And Sherlock wouldn't be Sherlock.

Perhaps they're saving this scenario for "The Adventure of the Dying Detective".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 24, 2012 12:29 pm  #27

Sammy wrote:

Sentimental Pulse wrote:

OH MY CROFT, REALLY? REALLY!?
He.. what... aahhhh. You know someone who is an actor... who was in The Dark Knight... who met Heath-fucking-Ledger!?
Wow. :O
How can you... just drop that information as if... argh.
This forum is full of way too cool people.

Oh my. I love that movie way too much. Yet another reason to re-watch it.
I might... know all of The Joker's lines by heart. I'm not crazy, though. Really. Okay, maybe a bit.

Totally off-topic, sorry!

Thanks but I'm not all that cool just lucky enough to be part of a wonderful accomplished family. Jim is just breaking into acting. Mostly he does stunt work. I agree with you about the people on this board. We have a group of totally brilliant, witty and inspiring people, including you!

June 24, 2012 12:41 pm  #28

veecee wrote:

I like the term thawing. But you are right he will never totally defrost, nor should he. I've always believed after reading the canon that Sherlock has never been incapable of feeling. He is just very selective in what touches him and he does not display it via conventional means. Knowing how prideful and arrogant and disdainful of open emotional displays he is imagine how hard and painful it was for him to tell John that he had only one friend. I think it underscores the depth of his connection to John.

June 24, 2012 1:31 pm  #29

veecee wrote:

You ARE being clear and you have a very good point.!

June 25, 2012 8:52 am  #30

Sentimental Pulse wrote:

Thanks but I'm not all that cool just lucky enough to be part of a wonderful accomplished family. Jim is just breaking into acting. Mostly he does stunt work. I agree with you about the people on this board. We have a group of totally brilliant, witty and inspiring people, including you!

Well, it is pretty awesome
And, aww, thank you! I agree, we are a great community. I still expect someone of the Sherlock team to join us, who will give us exclusive information.. 

veecee wrote:

Oh yes, it's clear and I agree.
It's this "Will he? Or will he not?" that creates some tension. And if they would change him too much... well, he wouldn't be Sherlock anymore, like you said.
But of course there is always space for character developement and you can already clearly see how much John taught Sherlock and how he "humanized" him.

June 25, 2012 5:39 pm  #31

Sammy wrote:

Sentimental Pulse wrote:

Well, it is pretty awesome
And, aww, thank you! I agree, we are a great community. I still expect someone of the Sherlock team to join us, who will give us exclusive information.. 

veecee wrote:

Oh yes, it's clear and I agree.
It's this "Will he? Or will he not?" that creates some tension. And if they would change him too much... well, he wouldn't be Sherlock anymore, like you said.
But of course there is always space for character developement and you can already clearly see how much John taught Sherlock and how he "humanized" him.

Oh, yeah. We want to see some character development. Did you notice the look on John's face when Sherlock apologized to Molly at Christmas and even gave her a peck on the cheek?

June 25, 2012 5:44 pm  #32

Sammy wrote:

So, I finally took the time to take DVD, put Reichenbach on and play some scenes at a really low speed.
I just wanted to share some things with you I noticed by that for the first time, even though I guess there not THAT hard to notice so it's probably not news to most of you.
Anyway, still gonna do this, just because I can.

Also, as people have pointed out, even though Sherlock is wearing a purple-ish shirt there is something white sticking out. It could be a mistake, just something they used while shooting or it might be just the thing that saved Sherlock's life. Whatever. Like a pillow or... something.

4. And DAMN there it was! Go and watch Sherlock's fall again, reaaaally slowly... look at the way he hits the ground. YES, HE MOVES!
You see him hit the ground which obviously gives his body a bit of a... shake. But then it definitely looks like he's turning to his side! He hit the ground on his belly but turns so he's in the position we later see him in, more on his side...

5. And regarding that: When Sherlock is falling his coat is naturally pulled back from the speed of his fall, you know, like flapping in the wind. Okay, I'm not sure exactly how to say this right now but I hope you understand. You can also see that on the picture above. But when he is lying on the pavement his coat is NOT open, instead it's rather nicely closed You know, it's a bit weird.

I will take a closer look when I reach TRF on this go-round, but I wonder about the "white thing." Could it just be his (fabulously in shape, slim, flat) stomach as his shirt gets pulled out?

We don't see him hit, do we? Maybe I blocked it out of my mind.

As for the coat, are you saying Sherlock has continuity problems?

June 25, 2012 6:21 pm  #33

veecee wrote:

Hi veecee

We see the top of his head and his back. My feeling was that it had been very carefully shot so that you didn't see the actual impact. Yes I know, sounds horrible to say that so bluntly. What I mean is that if there was no skullduggery (love that word ) then we would at least have been shown him hitting the ground from a distance. But we know that there was skullduggery ( ) because he survived without a scratch on him apparently! So what he hit may not have been the ground!!  . But I don't think you ever see the whole of the laundry/garbage truck with the wire sides either. I may be wrong here and am happy to be corrected, but I think that this type of truck may have drop down sides rather than a 'tailgate' - that would be rather convenient to allow something to be removed or placed inside it quite easily and quickly. Even perhaps something relatively large.

A few thoughts to throw into the mix. You never know when they might come in handy.

June 25, 2012 6:40 pm  #34

JaneCo wrote:

veecee wrote:

Hi veecee

We see the top of his head and his back. My feeling was that it had been very carefully shot so that you didn't see the actual impact. Yes I know, sounds horrible to say that so bluntly. What I mean is that if there was no skullduggery (love that word ) then we would at least have been shown him hitting the ground from a distance. But we know that there was skullduggery ( ) because he survived without a scratch on him apparently! So what he hit may not have been the ground!!  . But I don't think you ever see the whole of the laundry/garbage truck with the wire sides either. I may be wrong here and am happy to be corrected, but I think that this type of truck may have drop down sides rather than a 'tailgate' - that would be rather convenient to allow something to be removed or placed inside it quite easily and quickly. Even perhaps something relatively large.

A few thoughts to throw into the mix. You never know when they might come in handy.

I'll watch again next time through. Maybe I involuntarily close my eyes at that point.
It seems like that truck must play a part, doesn't it?

July 2, 2012 6:20 am  #35

Okay, I know I'm grasping at straws now, but does that line of bricks next to Sherlock's body spell something? Almost looks like lettering.

July 2, 2012 7:25 am  #36

I am pretty sure that the brick rectangle which runs to the kerbside is actually there are Barts. Can one of the members of the forum who have been there please confirm this, or not as the case may be.

It is in a thread somewhere, I think, but I cannot find it.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 2, 2012 9:39 am  #37

Davina wrote:

I am pretty sure that the brick rectangle which runs to the kerbside is actually there are Barts. Can one of the members of the forum who have been there please confirm this, or not as the case may be.

It is in a thread somewhere, I think, but I cannot find it.

It's on page 4 in on the "post your theories" thread but here's the pic that I posted there:

It's  just decorative brickwork.

http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=6&p=4

Last edited by kazza474 (July 2, 2012 9:42 am)

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

July 2, 2012 10:43 am  #38

Thanks Kazza, I knew you'd remember where it was.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 2, 2012 11:03 am  #39

Davina wrote:

Thanks Kazza, I knew you'd remember where it was.

Lol. My mind is like a filing cabinet; you should see what's in some of those drawers. I don't open them often.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

July 5, 2012 8:10 pm  #40

Yeah, I've been there and seen it "in the flesh". It's just random markings, nothing special and nothing to do with the fall, sadly.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

Board footera