BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 9, 2012 1:25 am  #1

Some new, small observations after playing it at lower speed

So, I finally took the time to take DVD, put Reichenbach on and play some scenes at a really low speed.
I just wanted to share some things with you I noticed by that for the first time, even though I guess there not THAT hard to notice so it's probably not news to most of you.
Anyway, still gonna do this, just because I can.

1. Okay, first of all, although nothing to do with the speed you're watching it: There's this rubber-ball-in-armpit-theory going on. Okay, I guess we have to ignore that because even though Sherlock doesn't move his arms around very much in the rooftop scene he eventually lifts both of his arms for the fall and at this point the ball couldn't stay in its position any longer. So I guess that wouldn't work.

2. The moment after Moriarty shoots himself. I just love love LOVE that moment. Sherlock goes from shock to desperation to "Alright, I'm gonna have to do this now - for my friends". Yeah, okay, that's not really an observation.

3. You can see the reflection of Sherlock jumping in one of Bart's windows. It's just a nice little thing I never noticed before

[img]http://www.upload-pictures.de/bild.php/10137,reflectionX8JXK.jpg[/img]
(tried to do a bit of a screenshot, it's a little blurry though because he's moving so fast)

Also, as people have pointed out, even though Sherlock is wearing a purple-ish shirt there is something white sticking out. It could be a mistake, just something they used while shooting or it might be just the thing that saved Sherlock's life. Whatever. Like a pillow or... something.

4. And DAMN there it was! Go and watch Sherlock's fall again, reaaaally slowly... look at the way he hits the ground. YES, HE MOVES!
You see him hit the ground which obviously gives his body a bit of a... shake. But then it definitely looks like he's turning to his side! He hit the ground on his belly but turns so he's in the position we later see him in, more on his side...

5. And regarding that: When Sherlock is falling his coat is naturally pulled back from the speed of his fall, you know, like flapping in the wind. Okay, I'm not sure exactly how to say this right now but I hope you understand. You can also see that on the picture above. But when he is lying on the pavement his coat is NOT open, instead it's rather nicely closed You know, it's a bit weird.

6. The people who arrive at Sherlock's body act really weird, as a lot of you have already mentioned. Did you see the very first thing the people who look like nurses do is not run to Sherlock's body, but kind of... holding back the other people?

[img]http://www.upload-pictures.de/bild.php/10138,paras9S5FH.jpg[/img]

Wouldn't your first reaction rather be like "omg, let's check if he's alive"?

7. A bit later then, at Sherlock's grave. Because of all the John-pain and his speech and How-the-hell-did-Sherlock-survive? I really honestly never noticed before.
Look at Sherlock. Look at his face. Look especially at his face. Just play it very slow.
Goddammit, the emotions! He looks so terribly sad!
It really almost looks like he's turning away because he's going to cry.

[img]http://www.upload-pictures.de/bild.php/10139,sadTPH1U.jpg[/img]

Okay, I guess that was all. Just some things that were "new" to me. I'm especially interested in what you think of 4th, actually!

Also I recommend the slow motion, you can see so much

(Btw. sorry for huge pictues, I don't know how you can make them smaller?!)

June 9, 2012 5:24 am  #2

Re: Some new, small observations after playing it at lower speed

Nice observations, Sammy!

Starting with this:

Sammy wrote:

Look at Sherlock. Look at his face. Look especially at his face. Just play it very slow.
Goddammit, the emotions! He looks so terribly sad!
It really almost looks like he's turning away because he's going to cry.

Yes, I think you're right.
Here we get the full meaning of Molly's "You look sad when you think he can't see you."
The slightest smirk in this very situation would make me want to slap Sherlock's face (I wouldn't even care about the cheekbone thing!). But there is absolutely none.
I also can feel his eyes filling with tears. In turning away he seems to imitate John's soldierly attitude in order to retain his composure.
Btw: Wondering if Sherlock has actually been listening to John's speech ("Are you listening to me?") … after all, there's still that bug from the shelf you know... Would be a shame not to use it in one way or another….

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 9, 2012 11:53 am  #3

Sherlock crying? Nahhh.

To me, it doesn't look like he's upset...just deep in thought.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 9, 2012 2:18 pm  #4

I think I have said before that I find his expression here almost unreadable. Perhaps sadness with a touch of resignation - he has done what had to be done. Also, I sometimes wonder if he is turning towards someone. I haven't seen it suggested elsewhere, but maybe he isn't alone there. It also begs the question: How would he know that John and Mrs Hudson intended to pay a visit to the cemetary at that time? (Does he hang out there on a regular basis?  ). Simplest explanation is that he is in touch with someone who is privy to their movements (insert name of choice here).

Lovely screenshots thank you for posting them.

Last edited by JaneCo (June 9, 2012 2:20 pm)

June 9, 2012 2:25 pm  #5

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Sherlock crying? Nahhh.

Just all part of the plan.
OMG and now I am gonna die cos I cannot remember the cartoon dude that me & my grandson watch that says " its all part of the plan"!!!!
Its on Nick Jnr I think ... omg he is gonna kill me for not remembering!

What IS that show?????????

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 9, 2012 2:31 pm  #6

Is it Heath Ledger's Joker from The Dark Knight Kazza?

Sherlock is a machine (Or as close to one as a person can get), he's not sad at the graveside - he's observing his plan in action.

Nice remarks Sammy! Always good to go over the details and speculate on the potential ways it occurred.

-m0r

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

June 9, 2012 2:34 pm  #7

No I know Heath did it but it is definitely a cartoon due. will check it now as I have tabs for my grandson to use when he is here.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 9, 2012 2:38 pm  #8

Special Agent Oso.

Seemingly.

-m0r

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

June 9, 2012 2:38 pm  #9

SPECIAL AGENT OSO

omg how could I forget!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9U0Jhnyh_M

He mucks things up & says " all part of the plan" he's very cute... nah really he's breeding the next generation of Sherlocks trust me... he's very smart!

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 9, 2012 4:59 pm  #10

Speaking of reflections, tell me that in the fourth (right-most) window on the top floor we don't see a reflection of part of the crane that was holding Benedict up during filming...

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

June 9, 2012 11:29 pm  #11

Tantalus wrote:

Speaking of reflections, tell me that in the fourth (right-most) window on the top floor we don't see a reflection of part of the crane that was holding Benedict up during filming...

Hmm... that could be :/

I do think he looks upset and I actually think his expression at the grave seems more genuine than when he was crying on the rooftop.
There really is no need to put on a facade in that particular moment. The way he looks breaks my heart..

Do you think the nurses were in on the secret?
I mean, they could be colleagues of Molly and she might have, you know...

June 10, 2012 7:06 am  #12

Tantalus wrote:

Hmmm...judging from a photo I took (with lots of cranes being on the rooftop)

...I'd say the reflection we see must be that of a camera crane beneath or in front of the building. The reflections in Bart's windows on my photo are exclusevly from the opposite buildings.

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 10, 2012 7:09 am  #13

OMG! YOU have been to st. Bart's?!?
(Don't make your answer as cryptic this time, OK?)
;)

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

June 10, 2012 7:14 am  #14

Cryptic? Me? I'm an open book...
Yes, I've been to Bart's. Obviously. I'm currently working on a post concerning some observations I made there.

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 12, 2012 6:45 pm  #15

Wow, that's awesome!
I have to go there on my next trip to London... which will hopefully be soon. But more likely in more than a year's time, meh.

Now I'm thinking about how Sherlock might have slowed down the pulse in his arm if not with the rubber ball... (which seems more and more unlikely the more I think about it)

June 13, 2012 2:36 am  #16

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Sherlock crying? Nahhh.

He cries on the rooftop, though. In one face-on shot, you can see a tear drip off his chin onto his scarf as he speaks to John down below. A couple of shots later, you can see a tear track down that same right cheek. Even knowing as he did that he was NOT about to die, I cannot imagine anything much more terrifying than actually leaping off a high building while your best friend/partner is forced to watch you fall to what he believes is your death. Gah! Makes *me* want to cry.

June 13, 2012 2:41 am  #17

Sammy wrote:

The best way to keep a secret & make it a success, is to not have too many in on it.

I would honestly believe very few were 'in on it'.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 13, 2012 2:44 am  #18

Sammy wrote:

...Now I'm thinking about how Sherlock might have slowed down the pulse in his arm if not with the rubber ball... (which seems more and more unlikely the more I think about it)

Interesting how one of the onlookers grabbed hold of John's hand and didn't allow him to check for a pulse. He announced, "I'm a doctor!" as he approached Sherlock, so everyone there (who IMO all had to be in on the make-Sherlock-seem-dead conspiracy), would've known to make sure John didn't get a chance to feel for himself that S was actually alive.

I vote for what immediately follows that as some of the most heart-wrenching moments of the whole series to date-- John partially collapsing in on himself as he struggles to accept what he can see with his own two eyes-- all that blood, Sherlock inert and unresponsive. John slumps down and groans, "Jesus, no...." and "God, no...."  Broke my heart to watch that.

June 23, 2012 5:17 pm  #19

Yes, I agree that it was very suspicious. Like the man really wanted John to check the pulse on that arm..
I guess Sherlock might have took some precautions to slow the blood flow in that particular arm before, just not the one with the rubber ball.

Yeah, the scene always breaks my heart..
And the "He's my friend, he's my friend..." 

Of course it's easier to keep a secret when there are less people "in on it" but depending on Sherlock's plan he might've needed some people to help him.

June 23, 2012 6:02 pm  #20

kazza474 wrote:

Sammy wrote:

The best way to keep a secret & make it a success, is to not have too many in on it.
I would honestly believe very few were 'in on it'.

The only way to keep a secret between two people is if one of them is dead, so they say.

Board footera