BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 24, 2013 10:27 am  #181

Re: The Sherlock Holmes Riddle

Errr, No. 
I probably should...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

February 24, 2013 10:31 am  #182

Hmm, yes, try. I don't know how exactly you're supposed to replace the number in the Caesarian shift with z. Unless you mean using 26. But that would be redundant. Also, there's the matter of the keyword. I mean, what are you supposed to do with that. But you try your idea. Maybe I'm just overthinking things.

"I demand to be incarcerated in the Tower immediately! With my co-conspirators, Sandshoes and Grandad"
"If you really are me, with your Sandshoes and your Dicky bow, then that calculation is still going on."
"Well, me and Chinny, we were surprised, but you came looking for us."

February 24, 2013 10:46 am  #183

Bogtkxgvd
Nope.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 

February 24, 2013 10:50 am  #184

I didn't think so. The only one I know that uses everythig we have is the Keyed Vigenere cipher. But I just couldn't get that to work. 

"I demand to be incarcerated in the Tower immediately! With my co-conspirators, Sandshoes and Grandad"
"If you really are me, with your Sandshoes and your Dicky bow, then that calculation is still going on."

February 24, 2013 10:59 am  #185

How do you know it's a cipher?

February 24, 2013 11:01 am  #186

Well, what else would it be? I tried anagraming it, but nothing came up. What do you think it is?

February 24, 2013 11:03 am  #187

Yeah, there's not really much else it could be...

February 24, 2013 11:08 am  #188

It's killing me. I have to finish it, I just have to. 

February 24, 2013 11:14 am  #189

Yeah, it's seriously anoying. And there's no-one to get hints from! 

February 24, 2013 11:17 am  #190

I know. is there anyone here who has actually solved this?

February 24, 2013 11:19 am  #191

Kazza has solved quite a few but she hasn't been on here for ages. Apart from that I can't think of anyone...

February 24, 2013 12:33 pm  #192

I don't know who Kazza is. Well, I know she's a modertor, but that's about it. So she doesn't frequent the board anymore?

February 24, 2013 1:12 pm  #193

She hasn't been on for ages and she was a bit of a wizz at these riddle-things.

February 24, 2013 1:16 pm  #194

I see. I keep thinking. And the most obvious one would be a Caesar shift. I mean... the inscription is in Latin and it's probably the best known cipher there is. But I have turned those letters in every way I could think of using every kind of Caesar shift I could think of and nothing seems to work. 

February 24, 2013 1:28 pm  #195

Yeah, I have no idea what to try. I'm really not very good when it comes to ciphers!

February 24, 2013 1:31 pm  #196

Is the magnifier that thing on the desk in chapter three?

--------------------------------

"Yes, of course I forgive you."

February 24, 2013 1:38 pm  #197

I think for that you have to look outside the book.

February 24, 2013 3:04 pm  #198

Lily wrote:

Is the magnifier that thing on the desk in chapter three?

No, did you zoom in on chapter four? 

February 24, 2013 3:28 pm  #199

Yes but I couldn't find it there, so I thought it might be on another page...

--------------------------------

"Yes, of course I forgive you."

February 24, 2013 3:31 pm  #200

Oh no, you're not going to see it in the picture. Just look around for something that is extra, unlike on the usual pages. (hint: what you're looking for is not in the actual picture)

Board footera