BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 7, 2012 3:48 pm  #1

Other Adaptations Influencing BBC's Sherlock

I heard somewhere that the scene when Jim is walking up the stairs to the flat and the step creaks is directly taken from one of the old movies, including the fact that Sherlock is playing the violin, they both stop, then Sherlock carries on playing and Jim carries on walking. Can't remember which movie it was though...I haven't actually seen it.

But it made me wonder if there were other little "nods" not just to the canon but to other versions of SH that Moftiss and Co are fans of.

I noticed one myself the other day whilst watching a Basil Rathbone movie - "The Adventures Of Sherlock Holmes", in which Moriarty plots to steal the Crown Jewels.

Does anyone else know of any?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 7, 2012 4:12 pm  #2

Re: Other Adaptations Influencing BBC's Sherlock

(No SH adaptation, but John running through that college building in PINK always reminds me of James Stuart running through Albert Hall in "The Man Who Knew Too Much". Sorry, missing your point, SH. Delete if you please)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 7, 2012 4:49 pm  #3

Boss! I think they refer to it in the commentary.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 7, 2012 4:52 pm  #4

Ooh I discovered another one.

Apparently in Jeremy Paul's 'The Secret Of Sherlock Holmes' the whole premise of the story is that Sherlock made up Moriarty, except in this case it's actually supposed to be true.

June 8, 2012 7:49 am  #5

I do not know if it had any influence on "The Reichenbachfall", but there is the short novel by Michael Dibdin, "The Last Sherlock Holmes Story". It is the ultimate deconstruction of the Holmes myth as it reveals himself to be Jack the Ripper, his evil deeds triggered by his cocaine addiction. I must admit I find the whole idea horrible and I did not finish the book. But there you have the idea of Holmes committing crimes himself because the criminals have become so boring .

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 8, 2012 7:52 am  #6

Oo! Interesting thought though isn't it. Perhaps it is the source.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 10, 2012 10:46 am  #7

I watched a Basil Rathbone movie last night called Terror By Night. It was really awesome! But anyway, it basically involved Holmes and Watson going on a train journey for the whole of the film because SH has been privately hired to look after a precious piece of jewelery because the owner thinks an attempt is going to be made to steal it.

Anyway, the point is, at the beginning of the film when they're boarding the train Holmes runs into Lestrade with a load of fishing rods. Lestrade says he's off on a fishing holiday. Holmes pulls him to pieces and basically says "no you're not, you're here on police business" and it really reminded me of that scene in Hounds!

July 3, 2012 9:13 pm  #8

Today I watched Dressed To Kill (Basil Rathbone), and it basically had the part from ASIP in Angelo's where Sherlock says he got Angelo off a murder charge.

They're in a bar and Holmes introduces Watson to the bar manager who says that Holmes got him off a murder charge and Holmes replies that he proved at the time of the murder he was in another part of town safe breaking.

July 4, 2012 2:59 am  #9

This isn't a Sherlock one, but I laughed when I saw him bouncing that racquetball off the wall because it reminded me so much of House. Sorry, off topic.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sherlock: "It's this or Cluedo."
John: "Ah, no. We are never playing that again."
Sherlock: "Why not?"
John: "Because it's not actually possible for the victim to have done it, Sherlock!"

August 17, 2012 9:28 pm  #10

I was re-watching Rathbone's The Pearl of Death - which is probably my second favorite Rathbone SH adaptation next to HOUN - and noticed a striking similarity between 'The Golem' from "The Great Game" and 'The Hoxton Creeper' (masterfully played by character actor Rondo Hatton) whose specialty is using his immense strength to break his victim's backs (at the third vertebrae), similar to The Golem's chocking MO.

Last edited by always1895 (August 17, 2012 9:30 pm)

---------------------
matt laffey
@always1895 on Twitter
Always1895.net
Priory Scholars of NYC
Always1895 on Twitpic

August 18, 2012 2:29 am  #11

SusiGo wrote:

I do not know if it had any influence on "The Reichenbachfall", but there is the short novel by Michael Dibdin, "The Last Sherlock Holmes Story". It is the ultimate deconstruction of the Holmes myth as it reveals himself to be Jack the Ripper, his evil deeds triggered by his cocaine addiction. I must admit I find the whole idea horrible and I did not finish the book. But there you have the idea of Holmes committing crimes himself because the criminals have become so boring .

Revenge of the Dibdin. *shudders*
I need to post a warning sticky note in the front of that book. Too many Sherlock fanatics at my school not to have some sort of caution system.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

Board footera