BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 7, 2012 8:11 am  #1

Thought for the day!

I was going to post something deep and philosophical but nothing really sprung to mind so...

VEGEMITE!
1. What's the difference between it and Marmite?
2. What's the point, isn't Marmite already Vegetarian?
3. Do Australians just (generaly) not like the taste of malt?
4. What's so special about it that it can't be brought to the UK?

I'm sure this willl stimulate some very useful ideas (but maybe not on solving world poverty!)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

June 7, 2012 12:13 pm  #2

Re: Thought for the day!

Okay, I know I could look it up, and maybe I should already know this, but I don't have a clue what you're talking about! Vegemite? Marmite? I've heard of termites, and yes, vegetarians, but this other stuff...

Oh, and world poverty is about politics, not lack of food, but perhaps we shouldn't go there...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

June 7, 2012 12:22 pm  #3

You don't know what Marmite is?!
That's EVEN worse than the Quavers!!!
Do your revision!!
Yes ,there is a website called marmite.com!

Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 

June 7, 2012 12:24 pm  #4

Gotta go now, but I promise I'll check it out... : )

Oh, and my birthday is in July--I'll expect some Quavers from you, miss Molly! (no Marmite, though, whatever it is--just doesn't sound decent.)

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

June 7, 2012 12:27 pm  #5

It's a yeast extract used as a spread for sandwiches, toast, muffins etc. It tastes like sucking on a beef stock cube really, has a very salty/savoury taste to it. Made in Australia and is a vegetarian food. Basically every kid in Australia grew up on it.
When we Aussies travel overseas, most lament that there's no Vegemite.

It's about as Australian as you can get.

Marmite is a Beef extract. It's not as salty so to us who grew up on Vegemite, it tastes bland and 'buttery' almost. Obviously it's not vegetarian friendly.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 7, 2012 12:39 pm  #6

Kazza, Marmite doesn't have beef extract! that's bovril! of you look at the image you posted it actually says...100% vegetarian!!

June 7, 2012 12:40 pm  #7

ewww bad picture. Aussie Marmite has beef in it.
Must be the NZ or UK version.

I am not getting anything right!

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 7, 2012 12:42 pm  #8

In Germany we have something similar to Vegemite (I tried it recently when my workmate brought some from Australia). It's called "Vitam-R" and is available from health food stores. My granddad used to be very fond of it, but we kids didn't like it too much.

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 7, 2012 12:42 pm  #9

Well, you are in Australia, right?
And it's getting pretty late down there!

June 7, 2012 12:43 pm  #10

10:43pm
I should toddle off. Short day tomorrow and I get to sleep in till 6:30am yayy me!

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 7, 2012 12:44 pm  #11

Wow! are you some sort of Night-watch?!

June 7, 2012 12:47 pm  #12

No, I just need to get in & out of the places I work at as early as possible usually. Before pesky people start coming in, lol.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 7, 2012 12:50 pm  #13

People... *pah*...useless!

June 7, 2012 2:02 pm  #14

We used to be able to get Vegemite here in the UK. I'll have to check and see if you still can. I think we got some at Waitrose. It does taste a bit different from Marmite but they ae both basically yeast extract. Incidentally Marmite has been banned from sale in Denmark, something about the vitamins in it or something. I like Marmite. Is Vegemite like Marmite as in is it a love-hate thing? Do people either love it or hate it? (P.S. I really like Twigglets too- can you post a picture of them please someone?)

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 7, 2012 2:07 pm  #15

Here you go, davina, drool away!

June 7, 2012 2:08 pm  #16

Oh - Twigglets! I love them, too. Must make sure to get me some when I'll be in the UK next time.

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 7, 2012 2:10 pm  #17

Davina wrote:

P.S. I really like Twigglets too- can you post a picture of them please someone?

I'm not suppose to eat Twiglets... They make me violent.

On the Vegemite/Marmite front either will do but Vegemite is the best. I take mine with hot water and turn it into a sort of soup/tea.

-m0r

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

June 7, 2012 2:11 pm  #18

A VEGEMITE DRINK!? Interesting...

June 7, 2012 2:17 pm  #19

Take a big thick teaspoon of the stuff, it's very difficult not to, and place it in a cup, add freshly boiled water and stir for about 3 minutes.

Garnish with some Worcestershire sauce or Tabasco and there you have a virtually calorie free, tasty, nutritious meal.

-m0r

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

June 7, 2012 2:33 pm  #20

A bit like hot Bovril then without the cow in it! Now THAT reminds me of learning to swim when i was at junior school in baths abit like the one in TGG. We always used to have a cup of hot Bovril and an arrowroot biscuit. 

I must ask...how on EARTH can Twiglets make you violent? 

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera