BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 13, 2012 7:34 pm  #21

Re: What music do you hear?

My music taste range is quite vaste. I could say I listen to everything except modern MTV dancepop and rap/hip hop. Other than that, everything goes. My father's a jazz pianist so I've heard jazz my whole life. I'll just list some of my favorite bands/artists/composers. One genre I especially enjoy is the 70's era prog/rock.

Extreme, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Jamiroquai, Fleet Foxes, Sufjan Stevens, Yes, Genesis, Michael Jackson, Toto, Nirvana, Transatlantic, Frank Sinatra, Queen, Gentle Giant, Sevendust, Dream Theater, Kansas, Tom Waits, David Bowie, Coheed and Cambria, Rush, John Williams, Ennio Morricone, Joe Hisaishi and the list goes on forever. Big music fan over here.

Last edited by IdigN1 (June 13, 2012 7:35 pm)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

June 13, 2012 8:09 pm  #22

Coincidentally, I am watching/listening to Morricone conducting the Roma Sinfonietta at the Piazza San Marco, Venice on the TV now.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 13, 2012 8:16 pm  #23

A couple months ago I was at this concert where this local 80-piece orchestra played John Williams' music to celebrate his 80th birthday. Being a huge Star Wars/Jaws/Indiana Jones -fan, it was one of the most amazing musical experiences of my life. Just hearing all those tunes played live by dozens of people. When the first bars started from the "Imperial March" blasted off, I hoped the concert would never end.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 13, 2012 8:22 pm  #24

Lucky you. Looking at the fantastic setting for this concert, in what is one of my favourite cities (such an extraordinary and expensive place it is) I really wish I could have been there. His music, like John Williams' is so atmospheric. What HUGE talents they are.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 13, 2012 8:33 pm  #25

I agree. These guys have composed music that is timeless and suits absolutely perfectly in the movies they're in. Back then, the music of these movies was often as famous as the movies themselves. Not many composers today can do the same. I think Joe Hisaishi is another master in this sense. His music lives in symbiose in Hayao Miyazaki's (and Takeshi Kitano's) movies. I do think Hans Zimmer is doing the same with Christopher Nolan. Ever since The Dark Knight and Inception, pretty much every trailer has that "Zimmer flavor" in them. I think Nolan will become the Hitchcock/Kubrick of our time, and Zimmer might became the Williams/Morricone of modern times some day. We'll see.

Last edited by IdigN1 (June 13, 2012 8:36 pm)

June 14, 2012 1:18 pm  #26

Davina wrote:

Coincidentally, I am watching/listening to Morricone conducting the Roma Sinfonietta at the Piazza San Marco, Venice on the TV now.

The album, "Yo-Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone", is simply one of my all-time favo[u]rites. Heavenly!

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

June 22, 2012 11:38 pm  #27

Well!!   I  am a big musical fan tooo---  the sound of music,  the king and I,  Annie,  Les Miz,  those are my favorites.  Also Grease,  WSS,  and some others,  like South Pacific.  Ok  I'm  hearing impaired.   I  wear hearing aids,  so,  yes,  I can understand the tones of music, but not always the words. The only way I could understand the words to the songs,  is if they were aired on tv  with the captioning, or if I got an album with the words printed inside  the album covers.   

My  hearing was better back  in the 70's  and 80's,  when I  listened to John Denver  (all time favorite)  Kenny Rogers,  Dolly Parton, Reba,  Loretta,  and  others.   I  also loved the Boston Pops Orchestras,   I do remember when Arthur Fieldler conducted it.  Then  John Williams,  and then Keith Lockhart.  I  LOVE  John Williams compositions,  especially  the original star wars theme.   Oh  I  fell in love  with that one. 

I  also play the flute and the piano.  In  high school  I played the flute in my marching band,  and I  and my friend were the only  'deaf' ppl in it!!  (she p[layed the clarinet  and we used to practice together)  Ok--  The John williams tunes  were a BIG part of our routines.  So,  yeah,  we played the  star wars music constantly. 

And Christmas music--Oh,  don't get me started on those.  Wait until december.   Music has always been a big  part of my life.   If I didn't have that,  I  wouldn't  be the person I am today.

Last edited by sherlockskitty (June 22, 2012 11:38 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 23, 2012 12:45 pm  #28

As Shekespear wrote: if music be the food of love, play on.

June 25, 2012 1:44 pm  #29

Tantalus wrote:

Davina wrote:

The album, "Yo-Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone", is simply one of my all-time favo[u]rites. Heavenly!

Hahaha, sorry, I had to laugh so hard at this!
It just sounds like... some piece of HipHop music. You know how they use to say "Yo Ma(ma) is so fat..."? Sorry, I'm being extremely foolish here

Dramagod wrote:

A couple months ago I was at this concert where this local 80-piece orchestra played John Williams' music to celebrate his 80th birthday. Being a huge Star Wars/Jaws/Indiana Jones -fan, it was one of the most amazing musical experiences of my life. Just hearing all those tunes played live by dozens of people. When the first bars started from the "Imperial March" blasted off, I hoped the concert would never end.

That sounds amazing!
For a while here they played music from video games with a huge orchestra live, would have loved to go to one of those concerts. It sounded great!
You know, like the music from games like Final Fantasy, Kingdom hearts etc...
I know this might sound ridiculous to people who don't play video games - but especially Final Fantasy has some beautiful soundtracks.
And even more than with film music the emotional attachment is just great. You know how you hear a piece of music in a movie and afterwards when you hear the song it makes you think of that movie and it's just awesome?
Well, play a video game for 50 hours or more (or less, of course)...

June 25, 2012 1:56 pm  #30

I love videogame soundtracks. Final Fantasy is one of my favorite game series and VII has my favorite compositions. Uematsu-san's music was a big part of the greatness of that game. I also love Harry Gregson-Williams's work on the Metal Gear Solid games and all the classic tunes from 8-bit NES games and Commodore 64 games. Big videogame/videogame music fan over here.

June 25, 2012 7:16 pm  #31

Yes, I totally agree with the Final Fantasy VII music! And have you ever heard the soundtracks from Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core? It's also brilliant. The Price of Freedom... *sigh*

June 25, 2012 7:33 pm  #32

Haven't heard that one, no. From the newer games I like Deus Ex: Human Revolution's soundtrack a lot. The mood is a bit similar to Vangelis's soundtrack in Blade Runner.

June 27, 2012 6:41 am  #33

My 21 year old niece loves Taylor Swift. I said that all her songs sound the same to me (sorry, Taylor fans) and niece said it wasn't the music but the lyrics that she connects to. It's funny but I have always related to the music, and the lyrics generally don't matter. I guess that explains the popularity of people like Bob Dylan (sorry, Dylan fans!)

My absolute favourite song is Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen, sung by either Jeff Buckley or kd lang. Makes me cry every time.
Glad to see there are so many Les Mis fans here, I saw it 3 times in Brisbane many years ago, so excited that Hugh Jackman and Russell Crowe are in the movie coming out eventually. Aussies rool!

I love the famous bits from operas and ballets, you know, the bits they use in movies and commercials! Love Yo-yo Ma, Bruce Springsteen, U2, kd lang, Jack Johnson and quite a bit of modern top 40 stuff.

Best concert I ever saw was Midnight Oil (ever heard of them?). The lead singer, Peter Garrett, is now a politician. What a waste.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

June 27, 2012 12:27 pm  #34

Leonard Cohen is a genius. I went to the wedding of a couple of good friends about 3 years ago in Cornwall and, apart from the most perfect weather and setting, the lady's daughter sang Allellujah at the wedding ceremony and it was mind-blowingly, emotionally, fantastic! 

July 2, 2012 7:12 am  #35

I like Element of Crime, Coldplay, The Smiths, Leonard Cohen, Kraftklub, Bach, Mozart, The Waterboys, Johnny Cash, Jacques Brel, some film soundtracks (no, not only Sherlock), Max Raabe, Brian Eno, R.E.M. (not everything, but Automatic for the People is one of my favourite CDs of all time)
Some favourite songs: The Scientist, Famous Blue Raincoat, Kein Liebeslied, Strassenbahn des Todes, Ne me quitte pas, There is a light that never goes out, Remembering Marie A. (sung by David Bowie)
Some favourite pieces: Air on a G-string, Adagio for Strings by Samuel Barber

Last edited by SusiGo (July 2, 2012 7:18 am)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 10, 2012 5:54 am  #36

My music preferences changed a lot in the last year and I'm still surprised at those changes). I used to listening to club-music or pop. But then I turned into 'old-hits' lover .

I adore Chris Rea! Listen to his songs most of the time while working.

I took a strong fancy to piano music recently, especially Mozart  . That's why I'm the most devoted fan of the Abacus FM ever .
I like saxophone very much too.

Also I like the music in French style (I don't know how to call it right), like the tracks from "Midnight in Paris". I attached a link below for an example.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkdCr9HlRE0

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Sherlock: "I need to get some air, we're going out tonight."
John: "Actually, I've uh, got a date."
Sherlock: "What?"
John: "It's where two people who like each other go out and have fun."
Sherlock: "That's what I was suggesting."

July 10, 2012 10:00 am  #37

@221B -  If you like that sort of music (the french style), pretty much every movie by Woody Allen is filled with that kind of music. And he plays that kind of music with his own band as well.

July 29, 2012 11:47 pm  #38

Dramagod wrote:

@221B -  If you like that sort of music (the french style), pretty much every movie by Woody Allen is filled with that kind of music. And he plays that kind of music with his own band as well.

I never knew he had his own band. I think I ought to find it out and listen, thank you .

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Sherlock: "I need to get some air, we're going out tonight."
John: "Actually, I've uh, got a date."
Sherlock: "What?"
John: "It's where two people who like each other go out and have fun."
Sherlock: "That's what I was suggesting."

August 11, 2012 5:52 pm  #39

I listen a lot of stuff mostly Indie Rock / Indie Pop and also Electro music, Rap, Post-Rock... etc

Last edited by TicTacToe (August 11, 2012 5:53 pm)

October 16, 2012 3:55 am  #40

My range of music is very eclectic as well, but my favourite genre is soundtrack(especially Sherlock ).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Geniuses are often obsessive, and their clarity of intellectual insight can be depressing and isolating: by nature geniuses march to a different drum." - Ron Bracey

Board footera