BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 29, 2012 1:03 am  #41

Re: Who is your favourite character (not Sherlock or John)?

Some deviations from the canon make me sad, but I rather found Moriarty more refreshing and (dare I say it?) possibly even deeper as a character so I'd probably choose Moriarty.

Though I would say Lestrade comes close behind.

"Sherlock, your big brother and all the King's horses couldn't make me do a thing I didn't want to."

"You … you told me once … that you weren't a hero. Umm… There were times when I didn't even think you were human, but let me tell you this. You were the best man, the most human ... human being that I've ever known and no one will ever convince me that you told me a lie, and so ... there. I was so alone ... and I owe you so much. But please, there's just one more thing, one more thing, one more miracle , Sherlock, for me, don't be ... dead. Would you do that just for me? Just stop it. Stop this…"

September 2, 2012 11:40 am  #42

Moriarty by far. (As if that isn't obvious.) I've mentioned it somewhere before, but I've always had a "thing" for villains. The best ones (perhaps the best performed?) are all at once despicable, scary, complex, and even evoke some sense of sympathy. I don't think I sympathize with Moriarty on the whole, but the character is complex enough that there is a sort of sense of loneliness which comes through, even just a little bit, and this makes him almost pitiable. Oh...and Andrew Scott plays the character so elegantly, plus he's not difficult to look at in the slightest.

***********************************************************************************************************************
In a world of locked rooms, the man with the key is king. And honey...you should see me in a crown...

July 1, 2013 7:03 pm  #43

Lestrde is definitely my favorite. I love his lines in ASiP("Right, yeah, thanks, aaaand?" while he's leaning over the stair rail) and in TGG("And a happy new year.). And lots more. But I also like how loyal he his to Sherlock in TRF and how resistant he seems to arrest him. If you look really closely at the part when the Chief comes out with his bloody nose, (love that part with John) you can see a very faint amused expression come onto Lestrade's face. He's just so awesome in everyway! :D

Last edited by OneMoreMiracle (July 22, 2013 4:08 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I'm not a hero. I'm a high functioning sociapath! MERRY CHRISTMAS!"

~Sherlock Holmes, His Last Vow

"Hello, little brother. Enjoying your exile?"

"I've only been gone four minutes!"

~Mycroft and Sherlock Holmes, His Last Vow

July 2, 2013 12:17 am  #44

I like Lestrade too. He always seemed willing to let Sherlock help even though it could get him into trouble, as we saw in TRF. He seemed like a good friend and he got on well with John. I think Sherlock liked him despite himself; he was a decent guy

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

July 2, 2013 1:51 am  #45

Definitely Lestrade! I just have a huge soft spot for Rupert Graves, and the character is so lovable. I love how much fun he seems to be having in Hound, and the line about him filming Sherlock when he was drugged in Scandal. 

That being said, Moriarty is freakin brilliant.

July 2, 2013 8:26 am  #46

Well, it's a hard choice for me... I'd say Mycroft, mostly because it's a very different creation from original and Doyle's novels didn't give him too much attention. In canon Mycroft actually was smarter than Sherlock, what Sherlock admited a few times, but in the show it seems to be quite the opposite - I'd say here Mycroft is aware, that Sherlock is, in fact, more intelligent than him. I'm curious why's that and what the implications are going to be. The relationship beetween them so far is pretty interesting and I like the fact that despite the childhood rivaly beetween them they're always eager to help each other (well, maybe not eager, but... ).

Actually all of the supportive characters in Sherlock are pretty interesting - Lestrade is very loyal and completely adorable. I started to adore him completely after the last two episodes of the second season. Molly Hooper is definitely interesting with her fondness for Sherlock and I have a feeling that she's going to be a pretty important character. Ms Hudson - again, adorable, but besides that she's very cool under pressure - after everything she's been through, living with Sherlock, who shoots the walls and holds on human eyes in his fridge... The old lady's really able to keep her cool. And, of course, Moriarty - at the beginning I wasn't convinced about him and I started to consider him an really amazing character only when I've been watching the last episode. Oh, he was brilliant! At the beginning that was my attachment to the canon speaking, but what can I do... I love psychos.

Like I said... It's a hard choice ;)

Last edited by Ginger (July 2, 2013 8:31 am)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi.

"Dear God. What is it like in your funny little brains? It must be so boring." - Sherlock Holmes.

http://koktajl-kulturowy.blogspot.com/

July 11, 2013 6:58 am  #47

Mycroft He has so much influence and power  

------------------------------------------------------------------
-Mystie Holmes

When you walk with Sherlock Holmes you see the battlefield.-M.H.

Are you ready for the story?-J.M. xx

Pray give my greetings to Mrs. Watson, and believe me to be, my dear fellow, 
Very sincerely yours,
Sherlock Holmes

July 11, 2013 7:27 am  #48

He's also hilarious!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 11, 2013 9:30 am  #49

I can't choose. Every character is bamf in their own special way. I think it's Mycroft, then I think of Molly and it becomes her. Then Lestrade and Mrs Hudson. I cannot choose. I love them all.

Damn the writers for causing this conundrum!

He does love to be dramatic.
Well, thank god you're above all that!

July 11, 2013 9:40 am  #50

Yes becasue even the characters that I hate, like Anderson and
Sally...they are still good characters!
Indeed, damn thr fine writing and acting!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 11, 2013 11:19 am  #51

besleybean wrote:

Yes becasue even the characters that I hate, like Anderson and
Sally...they are still good characters!
Indeed, damn thr fine writing and acting!

Exactly. I may not like Sally or Anderson but I love their scenes so much. We need more Anderson. It's such a salute to the writers that we don't want to see the back of these two. We just crave more....especially Anderson!

July 12, 2013 1:51 am  #52

Lestrade of course!  But then again Mycroft is awesome....I love the sibling rivalry that him and Sherlock have.  Sometimes it feels like Lestrade and Sherlock could have one but they actually cooperate very well together. Whether of course they want to or not.

Last edited by Chiblits (July 12, 2013 1:53 am)

July 12, 2013 7:31 am  #53

It'll be interesting to see what happens to Lestrade, post Fall.

July 12, 2013 10:38 am  #54

besleybean wrote:

It'll be interesting to see what happens to Lestrade, post Fall.

I was thinking about this only yesterday. I'm hoping Mycroft stepped in to help him. In real life surely he would've been sacked and faced an enquiry.

August 6, 2013 8:26 pm  #55

Mrs. Hudson. No doubt. When she is onscreen, I just wait for her to say anything.
I adore her.
It's not an easy choice, of course. There are so many great characters.
"Right on my bins"

October 31, 2013 1:00 am  #56

It's either Moriarty, Molly, or the people in the background! I mean Moriarty was a very good villian/mastermind! Molly is sweet, nice, and innocent! Then the people in the background just because!

January 11, 2014 4:59 pm  #57

I'd say Molly Hooper, because she seems extremely smart, brave, compassionate, and strong. I'd liked her from (almost) the start, but she won me over completely in TRF. Can't wait to see her again soon!

Lestrade and Mycroft are also infinetly interesting, I have a soft spot for Moriarty, and Irene's had a place in my heart since I saw her (fake but then later real) vunerable side. So basically, I like everyone. Even Donavan and Anderson, now. *grumbles about unlikeable characters becoming likeable*

January 11, 2014 7:17 pm  #58

MYCROFT

Mycroft, Mycroft Mycroft.

Did I mention that I like Mycroft? 

I don't know why, but scenes with him always tend to be my favorites. The great midpoint scene in ASiB, the hat deduction in TEH, the phonecall in ASoT. I think it's the sarcasm, Mark's facial expressions, and the hints of interesting backstory between the brothers. I just love everything about him. 

January 11, 2014 7:40 pm  #59

Mycroft.  He's funny. He's smart.  My dog is named after him.  

January 11, 2014 7:48 pm  #60

Lestrade i like how he just lets Sherlock get on with it and he is so laid back

“Dear God. What is it like in your funny little brains? It must be so boring.”

I was Born and Raised in Nottingham England,

Board footera