BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 10, 2012 10:42 am  #21

Re: Who is your favourite character (not Sherlock or John)?

Was it his idea for to play Mycroft himself or did someone else suggest it?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

June 10, 2012 10:45 am  #22

I think I remember reading that it was someone else's idea because his and Benedict's colouring/height etc. are similar. Maybe someone else can remember who suggested it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 11, 2012 2:22 am  #23

Love Mycroft and Moriarty but Irene has all the boys beat .

Disguise is always a self portrait

June 16, 2012 1:47 am  #24

Moriarty by far, I love his quirkiness and crazed manner, I love how he plays with Sherlock, how he finds almost everything fun (in a sort of insane way, but still x3) and mostly, I love how he's basically on the same intellectual plane as Sherlock, which makes him a worthy opponent.

My second favorite would have to be Lestrade because he has to put up with Sherlock and he does it quite well, better than I would have ever done at least ^_^
and because he truly does care for Sherlock, no matter how hard Sherlock can be to put up with, which I find amazing, and he doesn't get enough recognition imo

June 16, 2012 2:57 am  #25

tobeornot221b had a good way around making this decision.
I'm going to do it by using categories again.
Besides Sherlock and John, my favorite character for...
   adorableness is Mrs. Hudson (Molly close second)
   easiness on the eyes is Lestrade
   funniness is the short innkeeper (Hounds)
   interpretation and twist on the canon is Mycroft
   creepiness is the cabdriver
Moriarty is in there somewhere. I just don't know the catagory. Suggestions?

Last edited by veecee (June 16, 2012 3:01 am)

June 16, 2012 4:19 am  #26

Mrs. Hudson,  of course. 'I'm not your housekeeper!'  And yet she's there all the time.   Are we keeping score?   

My 2nd favorite is Mycroft.   It absolutely floored me that Mark Gatiss was playing him.    He's PERFECT for the role!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 16, 2012 5:39 am  #27

I have made a poll using those names mentioned in here:

http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=12716#p12716

PLEASE JUST VOTE IN THERE & KEEP DISCUSSIONS IN HERE.
Thank you kindly.

*edited to update the thread link

Last edited by kazza474 (June 17, 2012 12:53 am)

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 16, 2012 7:39 am  #28

Having mix-read veecee's one about the short innkeeper as 'furriness' I am going to say the cat Sekhmet at Connie Prince's house.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 16, 2012 3:00 pm  #29

kazza474, are you forcing us to choose by letting us vote for only one? Hmm, did you fix it so we can each only vote once?

June 16, 2012 3:01 pm  #30

Davina wrote:

Having mix-read veecee's one about the short innkeeper as 'furriness' I am going to say the cat Sekhmet at Connie Prince's house.

Hah! 

June 16, 2012 3:07 pm  #31

I've only seen the episodes once, so I haven't gotten inside all the characters too well yet but there are lots of interesting ones. I think Mrs. Hudson (is the name a combination of Holmes and Watson?) is an interesting one, considering what she has to go through. She keeps her cool rather well, considering she has a super intelligent tenant who shoots the walls and stores human heads in their fridge. Moriarty is one of the finest antagonists I've come across in any show. Mycroft is interesting because he knows how much more intelligent his brother is, but he still has to resort to his help every now and then. I'm sure this eats him up.

It's a great cast overall and I think even the minor characters are rather well written. I might comment more when I've seen the series for the second time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

June 16, 2012 3:24 pm  #32

Hm, it's a tie between the Skull and the Head in the Fridge, they are both such well-fleshed out characters, don't you agree

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

June 16, 2012 8:48 pm  #33

Moriarty, hands down.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

June 17, 2012 6:07 pm  #34

Dramagod wrote:

I've only seen the episodes once, so I haven't gotten inside all the characters too well yet but there are lots of interesting ones. I think Mrs. Hudson (is the name a combination of Holmes and Watson?) is an interesting one, considering what she has to go through. She keeps her cool rather well, considering she has a super intelligent tenant who shoots the walls and stores human heads in their fridge. Moriarty is one of the finest antagonists I've come across in any show. Mycroft is interesting because he knows how much more intelligent his brother is, but he still has to resort to his help every now and then. I'm sure this eats him up.

It's a great cast overall and I think even the minor characters are rather well written. I might comment more when I've seen the series for the second time.

In the canon, Sherlock readily admits that Mycroft is actually smarter -- but apparently lazy. There's quite an example and description given.

In The Final Game, you may remember that when Sherlock asks Mycroft why he doesn't look for the lost plans himself, Mycroft answers disdainfully that it would involve "legwork," the word uttered with great distaste.

Last edited by veecee (June 17, 2012 6:08 pm)

June 17, 2012 6:13 pm  #35

veecee wrote:

Dramagod wrote:

In the canon, Sherlock readily admits that Mycroft is actually smarter -- but apparently lazy. There's quite an example and description given.

In The Final Game, you may remember that when Sherlock asks Mycroft why he doesn't look for the lost plans himself, Mycroft answers disdainfully that it would involve "legwork," the word uttered with great distaste.

Thanks. I'll give this a thought when I watch the seasons for a second time. I'm sure I've missed a LOT of stuff since I watched them so rapidly because I was so excited about the show. Next time, I'll put "Sherlock" under a microscope. Let him taste his own medicine.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

June 17, 2012 6:30 pm  #36

Dramagod wrote:

veecee wrote:

Dramagod wrote:

Thanks. I'll give this a thought when I watch the seasons for a second time. I'm sure I've missed a LOT of stuff since I watched them so rapidly because I was so excited about the show. Next time, I'll put "Sherlock" under a microscope. Let him taste his own medicine.

Hah!
Well, our Sherlock never admits Mycroft is smarter. And I don't either!

Last edited by veecee (June 17, 2012 6:30 pm)

June 17, 2012 7:38 pm  #37

It's hard to choose, they are all so well cast...
If I had to pick one, it would probably be Moriarty, for the following (hugely superficial and biased) reasons:
- He is one of the most iconic villains in literature, and every girl loves a bad guy 
- His accent is beautifully Dublin, not the typical "oirish" you get so often in English TV-shows and films
- He is left-handed (we're such an underrepresented folk)
- You should see him in a crown
But most importantly: he is played by a fantastic actor I have loved for years, who deserves all the credit he gets

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"There is no such word as 'impossible' in my dictionary. In fact, everything between 'herring' and 'marmalade' seems to be missing." Dirk Gently

Finally, I have made it to Cipher Expert :-))))) (8.8.2012)

June 18, 2012 9:03 am  #38

It is hard to pick just one...but I really love Mycroft. He is smart like Sherlock and his relationship with his brother is quite interesting. He didn't figure much in the canon, that is why I love the series because Mycroft's got so much airtime :D
Genius is chromosomal <3

August 26, 2012 11:22 am  #39

I've got to go for Greg Lestrade because I think he sees Sherlock for what he is, he says he is ' a good man, and one day, with luck he'll be a great man' (from memory). To my mind Greg sees the potential in Sherlock and has hopes for him.

Also, unless I'm mistaken, Lestrade never doubts that Sherlock is genuine and omits obtaining a warrant and the caution, thereby causing Sherlock's arrest to be a false arrest, making his predictable escape justifiable and legal and Lestrade doesn't seem in a great hurry to pursue the boys when they set off running. Another reason is that when in Dartmoor he indicates he was happy to go to Grimpen whether Mycroft had sent him or not.

Mrs Hudson is without a doubt remarkable too so I have to have two picks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We solve crimes, I blog about it and he forgets his pants, so I wouldn’t hold out too much hope. (Scandal in Belgravia)

I asked you for one more miracle. I asked you to stop being dead..........I heard you.(The Empty Hearse)

August 28, 2012 8:46 pm  #40

Morton wrote:

Also, unless I'm mistaken, Lestrade never doubts that Sherlock is genuine and omits obtaining a warrant and the caution, thereby causing Sherlock's arrest to be a false arrest, making his predictable escape justifiable and legal and Lestrade doesn't seem in a great hurry to pursue the boys when they set off running.

Wow, I never thought about the fact that Sherlock's arrest wasn't actually legal. Nice point.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

Board footera