BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 13, 2013 9:29 pm  #21

Re: "I need an assistant!"

My theory is that Sherlock can see right through people and makes no effort to be friends with people he deems unworthy. Anderson could be a serial adulterer which wouldn't go down well with Sherlock if we are to believe his own father was one too. He also shows little respect for Anderson's expertise therefore he could see him as incompetant.

He introduces Sally Donovan to John as an 'old friend' and isn't as ruthless with her - until provoked - as he is with Anderson. This could be interpreted as him having.once had respect for her but she lost it or her obvious dislike because she sees him as a phsyco has made him antagonistic towards her.

He must have spent years knowing exactly what people think of him and that cannot be nice. He is bound to fight back against people who cannot accept him for who he is.

When you think of his established relationships where he has no problem, and doesn't verbally attack these people, it shows he can be more civil if he thinks you are worth it and all of these people accept him as he is. Mrs Hudson, Molly, John, Lestrade and Mike Stamford (Mike may not be in it for long but he obviously accepts him).

When he first meets John he must see an honest, hardworking guy so he is willing to give him a try. If he had deduced John was dishonest, etc he would've walked away without a second thought. He saw John's worth from the beginning and the rest is canon x

He does love to be dramatic.
Well, thank god you're above all that!

June 14, 2013 6:39 pm  #22

I think that Sherlock likes having John around for two reasons:

1. "That's the frailty of genius, John- it needs an audience."  John's probably the first person to ever be in awe of him instead of thinking he's a freakish stalker.  But, at the same time...

2. John can see through Sherlock's bulls**t immediately.  He says:
"That's how you get your kicks, isn't it?  You risk your life to prove you're clever."
"Why would I do that?"
"Because you're an idiot." 

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

June 14, 2013 6:43 pm  #23

I really don't think Sherlock does risk his life, to prove he's clever.I think he risks his life when he feels he has to and that it's the right thing to do.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 14, 2013 7:06 pm  #24

besleybean wrote:

I really don't think Sherlock does risk his life, to prove he's clever.I think he risks his life when he feels he has to and that it's the right thing to do.

But he didn't have to with the pill- he had already beaten the cabbie at his own game.  He only went back because the cabbie was like "are you smarter than me?"  Sherlock just wants to play the game until he meets Moriarty.  Sherlock thinks he's like Moriarty, and could be Moriarty (and Moriarty wants him to be), but Sherlock cares too much about John at that point.  To me, that's really when Sherlock truly learns right from wrong.  The Reichenbach Fall is when Sherlock finally learns about sacrificing himself to save the people he loves.  The writers have done an excellent job of showing the journey from a "great man" to a "good man", as Lestrade puts it.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.

June 14, 2013 7:08 pm  #25

Sherlock is not risk averse. He also assesses risks and takes what he sees as acceptable risks. How much he actually puts his life at risk is a moot point.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 14, 2013 7:24 pm  #26

Davina wrote:

Sherlock is not risk averse. He also assesses risks and takes what he sees as acceptable risks. How much he actually puts his life at risk is a moot point.

Very much this.  The question is, how good is his perception? lol

June 14, 2013 7:27 pm  #27

Thankfully, to date, his perception has been flawless..

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 14, 2013 7:45 pm  #28

Perception or calculation?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 14, 2013 7:47 pm  #29

Both...kind of!

June 14, 2013 7:55 pm  #30

I would say that Sherlock found the person he can't calculate in Moriarty.

June 14, 2013 7:56 pm  #31

I do think he was caught out by the suicide...

June 14, 2013 8:01 pm  #32

Moriarty's sucide or his own?

June 14, 2013 8:04 pm  #33

He didn't commit suicide...oh, but I see what you mean!
I think outside Kitty's he possibly did work that out, tho he maybe just thought Moriarty was going to kill him.

June 14, 2013 8:09 pm  #34

Ah.  I sorta think that he was depending on Moriarty to kill himself, so he knew how to make him do it.

June 14, 2013 8:18 pm  #35

I don't think so, but I could be wrong.

June 14, 2013 8:29 pm  #36

Well, that's the fun of it- we're all guessing until we see it ;)

June 14, 2013 8:30 pm  #37

You've got me thinking, tho...

June 17, 2013 11:16 am  #38

besleybean wrote:

I don´t think he´s believing to do the right thing when taking the pill. It´s also not necessary to do that. For me the whole scene shows one aspect of Sherlock´s addictive personality (cabbie: "still the addict"). The cabbie nearly got him, but John rescues his life (Sherlock: "It´s chance. A 50:50 chance"), which is the start of a wonderful friendship .

Last edited by anjaH_alias (June 17, 2013 11:17 am)

June 17, 2013 4:06 pm  #39

I can agree with that and now Sherlock has tried to save John.

June 23, 2013 1:11 pm  #40

I've always assumed he told Lestrade "I need an assistant" as an excuse to bring John along with him.

I like to think he had already planned to take John with him, not because he really needs him though. I think it does that at first because he kind of already like John (above all at this point because John admires him, unlike Anderson and Donovan, for example), possibly thinks that a bit of "spice" in John's life would only do him good, and maybe also to annoy Anderson.

Later, he'll say "You've never been the most luminous of people, but as a conductor of light you are unbeatable" but he wasn"t aware of this yet at in ASIP.

Apparently, he has already often worked with Anderson before ASIP, so why would he suddenly tell Lestrade that it bothered him? Once again, I think that's because he had already planned to bring John with him and John being a doctor obviously make things easier. I can't really imagine Sherlock tell Lestrade on the crime scene "Well, this is John Watson, he's a social worker/a teacher/a hairdresser/a cooker... whatever/ and I need his opinion on the victim's body"

Just like old times...

Board footera