BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 1, 2012 1:45 am  #1

Hi from Seattle!

Boy, you guys are GOOD! 

I, too, have become obsessed with Sherlock as a result of this series.  I've learned so much from all of you, and your theories and explanations are impressive!

Several have suggested that the ACD offerings are a must, so  I purchased the Complete Sherlock for my iPad.  I just don't know if I can tear myself away from this forum long enough to actually read them!

Thanks so much for offering such an intelligent, thought-provoking, classy forum!  It's much appreciated.

June 1, 2012 2:00 am  #2

Re: Hi from Seattle!

Welcome Maren,

Seattle is a lovely and friendly city - as are most of the people I met there.

It is certainly worthwhile reading the Victorian era original stories as not only are they rich prose which have influenced so much of modern culture but they are consistently referenced throughout the BBC Sherlock shows in subtle ways.

The forum is only as classy as its members and I'm sure you'll bring further class with your presence.

-m0r

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

June 1, 2012 2:11 am  #3

Thanks so much for the gracious welcome, m0r!

Not sure how much I'll be posting, but I'm here watching, reading and learning.  I'm looking forward to getting to know the original Sherlock and Watson.  I've no doubt it will be a delight and deepen my appreciation of this series.

June 1, 2012 2:45 am  #4

Welcome Maren. Great to have you here posting.
You will fall in love with Sherlock Holmes all over again when you read through the canon stories.
And be prepared to stop constantly thinking ' ohhh so that's where they got that bit from?!'

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 1, 2012 4:00 am  #5

Thanks, kazza474~  I just now came from looking at a thread you started (one of many, to be sure).  I feel like I already "know" you all -- that's how much time I've been spending here.

I think I'll love getting into ACD and soon will be reverently referencing canon (in hushed tones, of course).

*need a little waving smiley to go here* 

June 1, 2012 4:10 am  #6

Maren,

Welcome to the forum! Washington is one of the 5 states I haven't visited. I would love to see Seattle, but it's soooo far away!

I heartily recommend Leslie Klinger's The New Annotated Sherlock Holmes for all Sherlockians. It's a massive 3-volume set that contains all 60 original stories, plus hundreds and hundreds of neat notes about the stories, Victorian England, etc. Course, it's rather cumbersome to carry around, so, yeah, enjoy the e-book, too!

Have fun hear!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

June 1, 2012 4:44 am  #7

Hi Maren!! Welcome  from a fellow American  frm Californy.    I  used to live near Seattle.   I've been on the Space Needle many times.  Went to School in Seattle too.  At least I think it was there.   

So  you  have an ipad--  could you tell me what site you use to download books to it?   I've been wanting to get a kindle,  cos Amazon has the dr who books I want...

Yeah  I  have a major leather bound volume of ALL  60  sherlock holmes stories.   This one has a story called "How Watson learned the trick"  Been awhile since I've read it.   I  hope you get a chance to read the stories.   Then you'll find out where the bits and pieces are in the BBC  Sherlock  series.   Oh....such  fun!!  I  hope you like this forum and will post.  yes,  you'll find threads where you can discuss the canon.  it's here somewhere.     

Last edited by sherlockskitty (June 1, 2012 4:45 am)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 1, 2012 6:34 am  #8

Hello Maren! Glad to have you on board. I've not visited Seattle, though I've met quite a few people from there over the years. The city of Frasier and Nils and coffee drinkers, which I hope, one day, to visit. I hope you carry on enjoying the forum and feel free to add your own tuppenyworth whenever you want m'dear.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 1, 2012 5:14 pm  #9

Tantalus wrote:

Maren,

Welcome to the forum! Washington is one of the 5 states I haven't visited. I would love to see Seattle, but it's soooo far away!

I heartily recommend Leslie Klinger's The New Annotated Sherlock Holmes for all Sherlockians. It's a massive 3-volume set that contains all 60 original stories, plus hundreds and hundreds of neat notes about the stories, Victorian England, etc. Course, it's rather cumbersome to carry around, so, yeah, enjoy the e-book, too!

Have fun hear!

It may have been a recommendation from you that I read regarding Klinger's books.  Unfortunately, I didn't see it on my iPad Book Store but I didn't look all that closely.  I primarily wanted to get The Empty House, but I'm thinking I'll become seriously hooked and will ultimately get Leslie Klinger's version. 

And I'm having so much fun already!  As I mentioned, you folks are so helpful and well-informed.  I've pretty much moved in here and spend too much time reading all the posts!

Thanks for the welcome, and see you around!

June 1, 2012 5:23 pm  #10

sherlockskitty wrote:

Hi Maren!! Welcome  from a fellow American  frm Californy.    I  used to live near Seattle.   I've been on the Space Needle many times.  Went to School in Seattle too.  At least I think it was there.   

So  you  have an ipad--  could you tell me what site you use to download books to it?   I've been wanting to get a kindle,  cos Amazon has the dr who books I want...

Yeah  I  have a major leather bound volume of ALL  60  sherlock holmes stories.   This one has a story called "How Watson learned the trick"  Been awhile since I've read it.   I  hope you get a chance to read the stories.   Then you'll find out where the bits and pieces are in the BBC  Sherlock  series.   Oh....such  fun!!  I  hope you like this forum and will post.  yes,  you'll find threads where you can discuss the canon.  it's here somewhere.     

Well, first of all I had to look up the definition of "canon" as I was only familiar with it from my Roman Catholic upbringing!  Learned it was first used in literature in reference to ACD's work.  Interesting! 

I'm surprised I'm so obsessed just as a result of this series.  It's made me hunger for more info, more stories, more Sherlock!

I just went to the Book Store that was loaded on my iPad - no brainer is my MO.  I looked after I read your post but it doesn't offer Dr. Who.  A friend just got The Complete... for her Kindle, and she prefers the Kindle to an iPad for reading, so I think you'd be very happy going that route.  She loves hers.

The Space Needle is still standing and the food in the restaurant is still meh.   

Thanks for the welcome!

June 1, 2012 5:27 pm  #11

Lol, you'll be able to use that well know and oft-used phrase "it's canon!" or it's opposite phrase "not canon!" I like to use both on a fairly daily basis...

Welcome to the forum, I'm sure you'll have lots of fun here!

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 1, 2012 5:29 pm  #12

Davina wrote:

Hello Maren! Glad to have you on board. I've not visited Seattle, though I've met quite a few people from there over the years. The city of Frasier and Nils and coffee drinkers, which I hope, one day, to visit. I hope you carry on enjoying the forum and feel free to add your own tuppenyworth whenever you want m'dear.

Thank you, Davina!  I've got so many questions, and I keep finding the answers here!  Not to mention fabulous thought-provoking theories and projections.

This is an exceptional message board -- I'm so impressed by the caliber of posters and knowledge and intelligence.  I'll be hanging out a lot!

June 1, 2012 5:32 pm  #13

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Lol, you'll be able to use that well know and oft-used phrase "it's canon!" or it's opposite phrase "not canon!" I like to use both on a fairly daily basis...

Welcome to the forum, I'm sure you'll have lots of fun here!

Already having loads of fun, Sherlock Holmes.    What an outstanding group of people!  Thanks for the welcome! 

Oops -- got carried away with the smilies.  I promise not to make a habit of it.

Last edited by Maren (June 1, 2012 5:33 pm)

June 2, 2012 1:31 am  #14

Welcome ; ).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Wanted! Schrödinger's cat. Dead and alive."

June 2, 2012 3:19 am  #15

Milkomeda wrote:

Welcome ; ).

Thank you -- I'm thrilled to be here.

A friend emailed me the Schrödinger's cat joke this morning -- I roared!

June 2, 2012 4:27 am  #16

what is the joke?  without knowing it,  I'm laughing anyway.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 2, 2012 4:32 am  #17

Maren wrote:

Oops -- got carried away with the smilies.  I promise not to make a habit of it.

"No, it's…fine."    Welcome Maren,  nice to have you here!

June 2, 2012 1:17 pm  #18

Hi Maren, welcome to the madness!

Sherlockskitty, I think the joke is "Wanted! Schrödinger's cat. Dead and alive."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

June 2, 2012 7:10 pm  #19

Maren wrote:

Well, first of all I had to look up the definition of "canon"

Me too! At first I thought they were writing cOnAn as in Conan-Doyle but know I'm Back in the know... 

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

June 4, 2012 2:21 am  #20

sherlockskitty wrote:

what is the joke?  without knowing it,  I'm laughing anyway.

If you didn't see hepzibah's post:

Schrödinger's cat -- Wanted Dead And Alive!

(if you're not familiar with it, here ya go: http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/Schrodingers-cat )

Board footera