BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 1, 2012 12:01 am  #1

Howdy!

Lurked here a few days, decided to register so could join the fun and post. 

Ever since watching the first episode of the first season online in April--yes, I know, I came late to the show but I'm making up for it in my zeal to read everything about it now!--and especially after watching TRF, I have hardly been able to stop thinking about Sherlock.  I've seen each episode twice and just bought the DVDs and am starting in on the third round so I can see what was edited out.

So, obviously, I'm from the US.  I have been very involved in another TV fandom for about four years: Alias Smith and Jones.  To the extent that I write fanfiction about it, participate in several message boards devoted to that show, and helped produce Virtual Seasons of episodes--thank god Sherlock isn't at that point!  Clearly, for those of you familiar with that show (and if you're not, check it out on IMDb.com), I have a strong interest in the history of the Old West of the US.  In RL, I'm an educator in a public school. 

I've travelled a lot and lived in other countries, including China, which made The Blind Banker rather enjoyable for me since I recognized early on that the graffiti were numbers.  I'm now reading ACD's work; I'd only read one story way back when so it's really interesting to compare the stories with the TV episodes, having just finished The Hound of the Baskervilles and A Scandal in Bohemia.  No offense, but I like the BBC versions better!

Sherlock is my new favorite show!  Eventually, I'd like to try and write some fanfiction for it but for now, I have a lot of catching up to do just in reading!  I look forward to participating here.  Thanks for creating this board!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

June 1, 2012 12:30 am  #2

Re: Howdy!

Welcome Sherli! Glad you've found a place to share your thoughts (and obsession!) with this brilliant TV show.

There's quite a bit of fanfic about the show - a lot of Johnlock thought which I don't really go in for - but some of it is great.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

June 1, 2012 12:43 am  #3

Thank you, Wholocked!  Yes, I was both pleased to see how much fanfic is out there and surprised that so much of it is slash.  As long as the writing is good and the characters are true to the show, I'll read it.   

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 1, 2012 1:04 am  #4

Welcome to the forum = ).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Wanted! Schrödinger's cat. Dead and alive."

June 1, 2012 1:09 am  #5

Hiya Sherli glad to have you on board.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 1, 2012 1:27 am  #6

Thank you, Milkomeda and kazza474!

June 1, 2012 1:56 am  #7

Howdy Sherli!

Welcome to the forums.

I have to be making of a sadly as my favourite fan fiction writer has danuabed from the world; Hans Von Hozel (Had you read him?)

I hope that once you are ready you can create pieces which please me as much as his one Sherlock piece did.

You'll enjoy it here!

-m0r

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

June 1, 2012 4:54 am  #8

Hi Sherli---   welcome to the forum.   Alias Smith and Jones?  yeah  I remember those two.  I  to  was a fan of the old west and the western shows.   I  must admit I didn't watch this show faithfully;  my  main interests back then was Bonanza  or Gunsmoke or Big Valley.   I too like the BBC versions better.   But I  HAVE  read all 60  canon stories by ACD.    Hound of the Baskervilles  (ACD)  was a joy,  but that creepy mansion......

anyhoo  welcome!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 1, 2012 6:07 am  #9

Welcome, fellow countryman! (or is that countrywoman...countryhuman...oh, never mind.)

Have fun!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

June 1, 2012 6:16 am  #10

Hey there - nice of you to join us! Welcome...

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 1, 2012 6:48 am  #11

Hello Sherli (oh that scene in Airplane) welcome aboard this ship of merry Sherlockians! Alias Smith and Jones! I absolutely loved that programme until poor Pete departed this world  .
Hans Von Hozel is, without doubt, one of the geniuses of the literary world I have to agree with m0r and I feel it would be hard to surpass his fanfic for its sheer brilliance.
Anyhow, welcome indeed and I hope you enjoy the escape to this alternative universe away from the school kids.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 2, 2012 12:08 am  #12

Thanks to: m0r1arty, sherlockskitty, Tantalus, Sherlock Holmes, and Davina for your welcomes.

No I haven't read Hans Von Hozel and the descriptions make me wish I had.  But the only fanfiction I'd ever read up until last weekend was for Alias Smith and Jones so I missed out on this writer's Sherlock work.  I have to say, m0r1arty, that I was rather perplexed by your message until I googled Hans Von Hozel and read a couple things he wrote, whereupon all was made clear!  I'm glad to find another person here who remembers Pete and ASJ, sherlockskittyTantalus, I think I'll let you figure out my gender on your own--it shouldn't be too hard!  Sherlock Holmes, this is an awesome message board!  And Davina, yeah, I thought of the movie when I created my alias (do people in this fandom say alias for user name?  I kinda feel like I have to learn a new language to fully comprehend things here!) but, I'm sure you and everyone else can figure out how I came up with it.  And, just to let you all know, I tried to create an anagram of "Sherlock Holmes" for my user name but online anagram creators generated over a thousand possibilities and none of them were only two words--very boring.

June 2, 2012 1:22 pm  #13

Ah, Hannibal Hayes and Kid Curry! They don't make westerns like they used to. Though I did enjoy Seth Bullock and Sol Star in Deadwood (Timothy Olyphant, yum, yum)

Anyway, welcome to the madness!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

June 3, 2012 6:45 pm  #14

Thank you, hepzibah!  I never got into Deadwood but I do maintain a blog about movie Westerns under another name, which gives me a reason to watch lots of old movies.   

June 3, 2012 6:50 pm  #15

Sherli, showing my ignorance once again! How do you colour writing, is it like with images but you put [red] instead of [img]?

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

June 3, 2012 7:48 pm  #16

Funny you should ask, Molly Hooper!  Because I've been debating whether or not to eliminate the color, since no one else seems to have used it, at least not anyone whose comments I've read so far.  Although I suppose that makes me special, and I don't have a problem with that.   

If you want to change your signature, in your Profile, go to the Avatar and Signatures section, make sure the BBCode (I just read that as BBC code!) is on, and type your signature.  See the Edit note below for the code to use; I tried to put it here but it only changed the color of the text (oops).  Obviously, change the color from "brown" to whatever one you want.  I think it has to be one word, though; I tried "dark brown" and it didn't work.  Don't leave any spaces before or after the code and the text whose color you want to change.

If you want to change the text in a comment, just use the same code around whichever word or words you want to colorize.

Hope this is clear!

Edit: Nope, it wasn't.  I have to type out the code in words as otherwise it colorizes the text within the code, instead of showing the actual code.  So, before the text, type a bracket [ then the word "color" followed immediately without spaces by an equal sign and then a bracket ].  At the end of the text, type a bracket [ followed by a /and without spaces, the word "color" and then another bracket ].

Last edited by Sherli Bakerst (June 3, 2012 7:53 pm)

June 3, 2012 7:53 pm  #17

Um, What do you type again?! I think your just came up in colour!

And, no, I don't think you should stop writing in colour. Life is dull enough already and it needs a splash on sunshine!! When I learn to do this I will write everything in rainbow, no matter how long it takes! 

Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 

June 3, 2012 7:54 pm  #18

Just edited my instructions.  Hope it's clear now!  That's what I get for not previewing them first.

Last edited by Sherli Bakerst (June 3, 2012 7:55 pm)

June 3, 2012 7:57 pm  #19

Like this?

June 3, 2012 7:58 pm  #20

Oh, it came out black... where do you type the actual colour rather than just the word?

Board footera