BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 19, 2012 6:18 am  #741

Re: You know you're obsessed with Sherlock when...

veecee wrote:

...you've actually gotten your husband to the point where he complimented you on your PDoS.

Please enlighten me - what's a PDoS as opposed to a PSoS?

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 19, 2012 7:18 am  #742

A typo-purple Shirt of Sex? Querty keyboard?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 19, 2012 8:29 am  #743

ancientsgate wrote:

Mattlocked wrote:

... when you go to town, searching for nothing but a scratchpad... and finally end up with this:

Why do they sell such things in Germany? They look like something foreign tourists in London would pick up as a memento of their trip. No? Love them, though-- do. A lot. Hooray for the red, white and blue, as we say here in the States.  heh

We don't have much interesting in our little town - BUT we have a small British Shop! 
I also found 'William & Kate' mugs there and the salesgirl told me that people here acutally buy them.

http://www.der-englische-laden.de/

Last edited by Mattlocked (September 19, 2012 8:35 am)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

September 19, 2012 9:07 am  #744

Mattlocked wrote:

We don't have much interesting in our little town - BUT we have a small British Shop! 
I also found 'William & Kate' mugs there and the salesgirl told me that people here acutally buy them.
http://www.der-englische-laden.de/

Ah. A British shop, that makes sense. I'd have to find one of those here to find such items, too.

September 19, 2012 9:20 am  #745

We have one to. Must be a German passion. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 19, 2012 10:17 am  #746

SusiGo wrote:

We have one too. Must be a German passion. 

British fudge?

Does the store have any of those little Union Jack pillows like the one in the sitting room at 221b?

September 19, 2012 10:21 am  #747

Fudge is delicious, do you have it north of Boston as well? As for the pillow I'll go and have a look these days. A pillow would be nice. Or a skull. I know for sure they have these English breakfast sausages in the freezer. So maybe there'll be body parts as well. 

September 19, 2012 10:41 am  #748

Seems much bigger than our little shop.
Some jam, shortbread and tea here, but no "fresh" food. And no Union Jack cushions.. 

September 19, 2012 4:34 pm  #749

SusiGo wrote:

Fudge is delicious, do you have it north of Boston as well?

Yes. Yum.

I was just surprised to see a British shop in Germany with a name that includes the fudge word. Are the Brits famous for their fudge? Or is that just a name Germans would recognize as meaning "sweets" (what we call candy)? Like a candy shop? Just curious.

As for the pillow I'll go and have a look these days. A pillow would be nice. Or a skull. I know for sure they have these English breakfast sausages in the freezer. So maybe there'll be body parts as well. 

lol

September 19, 2012 4:55 pm  #750

ancientsgate wrote:

I was just surprised to see a British shop in Germany with a name that includes the fudge word. Are the Brits famous for their fudge? Or is that just a name Germans would recognize as meaning "sweets" (what we call candy)? Like a candy shop? Just curious.

I think only few Germans know what "fudge" is. We'd call fudge "Weichkaramellen" (soft caramels) - the hard type is called "Sahnebonbon" (cream candy). "Sweets" in general are "Suessigkeiten".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

September 19, 2012 5:22 pm  #751

tobeornot221b wrote:

I think only few Germans know what "fudge" is. We'd call fudge "Weichkaramellen" (soft caramels) - the hard type is called "Sahnebonbon" (cream candy). "Sweets" in general are "Suessigkeiten".

We just call fudge fudge, unless we want to say it's chewy fudge (the softer kind) or hard fudge (the kind you need your teeth to bite into). Americans don't use the sweets word, although we certainly would know what someone meant, if they called candy sweets.

Sometimes here we see or use the word confection for candy-- a confections shop, and the candy-maker could be a confectioner. But usually it's just a candy shop, and the people are candy-makers, and it'd be a place that sold everything from fudge, to bon bons and truffles, to candied fruit slices, candy corn, chocolate covered strawberries, you name it. Yum.

Sweet, to Americans, is more a word that means something has a lot of sugar in it-- sometimes it's a complaint, "That's too sweet!" Cookies, cake, donuts, brownies, cupcakes, candy are all sweet. But we don't call them sweets. Baked sweet foods are sold in a bakery, and the guys who make them are bakers. Which reminds me of Baker Street, and so see? We are on topic after all!

How does anyone learn to speak English?  heh

September 19, 2012 5:54 pm  #752

All this fudge and candy reminds me of an old song I really like:

...you can even eat the dishes....  Lalala...

September 19, 2012 6:36 pm  #753

Candy is also a slang word though for certain illicit substances isn't it? Gives a whole different meaning to The Candy Man and the lyrics. This is on topic too for the 7% solution.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 19, 2012 6:41 pm  #754

SusiGo wrote:

veecee wrote:

...you've actually gotten your husband to the point where he complimented you on your PDoS.

Please enlighten me - what's a PDoS as opposed to a PSoS?

I was wearing a purple dress.

September 19, 2012 6:55 pm  #755

ancientsgate wrote:

tobeornot221b wrote:

We just call fudge fudge, unless we want to say it's chewy fudge (the softer kind) or hard fudge (the kind you need your teeth to bite into). Americans don't use the sweets word, although we certainly would know what someone meant, if they called candy sweets.

Sometimes here we see or use the word confection for candy-- a confections shop, and the candy-maker could be a confectioner. But usually it's just a candy shop, and the people are candy-makers, and it'd be a place that sold everything from fudge, to bon bons and truffles, to candied fruit slices, candy corn, chocolate covered strawberries, you name it. Yum.

Sweet, to Americans, is more a word that means something has a lot of sugar in it-- sometimes it's a complaint, "That's too sweet!" Cookies, cake, donuts, brownies, cupcakes, candy are all sweet. But we don't call them sweets. Baked sweet foods are sold in a bakery, and the guys who make them are bakers. Which reminds me of Baker Street, and so see? We are on topic after all!

How does anyone learn to speak English?  heh

I think we do use "sweets" to refer to all those things at once, as in "I  like sweets," meaning "I like anything sweet." And someone who likes/eats a lot of sweets is said to have a "sweet tooth."

I've never heard of chewy fudge vs hard fudge. Just fudge. Northern Michigan is supposed to be famous for fudge. You see Mackinac Island fudge  all the time here. (I live in southern Michigan.) I used to work with a guy whose family had a well-known fudge business up North, so he literally grew up in a candy store.

As for being on topic, we could agree that Sherlock is eye candy, no?

September 19, 2012 7:14 pm  #756

veecee wrote:

Yes - especially when BLACK (...two sugars, please):

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

September 19, 2012 8:22 pm  #757

Tobe, you always find an opportunity to post a nice photo, don't you? 

September 19, 2012 9:07 pm  #758

Davina wrote:

Candy is also a slang word though for certain illicit substances isn't it? Gives a whole different meaning to The Candy Man and the lyrics. This is on topic too for the 7% solution.

Didn't Heath Ledger star in a movie called Candy? He and the GF were druggies. It was a real hard movie to watch. I have no idea if that slang word for cocaine or whatever it was is a thing of the past or what. Blessedly, I don't travel in such circles, so I don't know.

September 19, 2012 9:09 pm  #759

veecee wrote:

Mmmm.

September 20, 2012 10:48 am  #760

...when your husband comes home and finds you watching TRF again; and when he asks how often you've seen it, you don't remember and you answer: "Not often enough"
And then you are afraid he might call the doctor, but all he answers is: "Fine, because I'd like to watch it together with you next weekend."

Board footera