BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 3, 2012 9:36 pm  #621

Re: You know you're obsessed with Sherlock when...

Davina wrote:

And European/British chocolate is definitely better than American chocolate. American chocolate tastes like cooking chocolate. I was so disappointed the first time I tasted Hersey's Kisses!

Even Americans dislike Hershey's; we mostly eat imported chocolates.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do 'real' people have, then, in their 'real' lives?

So we go round the sun; if we went round the moon, or round and round the garden like a teddy bear, it wouldn't make any difference.

The consolation of imaginary things is not imaginary consolation. -- Roger Scruton

September 3, 2012 11:01 pm  #622

It's true, I always took our chocolate for granted until I tried chocolate from America. :O
We are lucky people! The chinese exchange student who has been living at my house had previously done a trip round europe and brought us chocolate. It was either from Belgium or Switzerland (can't remember), but... 

Wait.. why am I talking about chocolate? Off-topic, Sammy!

Now everytime I see an apple I think of Sherlock and quite often I carve an (crappy) IOU into it before eating it. Yeah. APPLES.

September 3, 2012 11:01 pm  #623

Davina wrote:

And European/British chocolate is definitely better than American chocolate. American chocolate tastes like cooking chocolate. I was so disappointed the first time I tasted Hersey's Kisses!

Excuse me? Take that back! *g*  Heshey's Kisses are... well, heaven comes to mind.

The US (world? not sure) headquarters of Lindt Chocolate is about a half mile from where I live. Their chocolate is Swiss, I believe, and absolutely to die for. Literally. But there's still room in the world for the humble chocolate from Hershey, Pennsylvania.... where the street lights are in the shape of Hershey kisses, and the whole town smells like brownies...

September 3, 2012 11:04 pm  #624

NW16XE wrote:

Even Americans dislike Hershey's; we mostly eat imported chocolates.

???? Really? Maybe in your part of the US. I guess maybe it's because I grew up with it, but to me, there's nothing as good as an old fashioned Hershey chocolate bar with almonds. Yum. It's true, it's not fancy, but it hits the spot, at about a quarter of the price of the imported stuff. We do not eat mostly imported chocolates, at least, not in my neck of the woods.

September 3, 2012 11:37 pm  #625

Davina wrote:

I was going to say that last time she posted the photo but I chickened out! Well done Hepzibah! Lol

Well, the same is with me. Everybody noticed but decided to hold the tongue  .

Chocolate thing is a very interesting topic in fact  . Among all kinds I prefer Russian chocolate of some definite brands as it has a high percentage of cocoa. I tasted chocolate from China, it really tastes of soap. Korean chocolate is a little bit better but also not chocolate at all )))
Once I got a present from my relatives in German, it was Merci bars. I don't know whether it is considered to be a good choco in Germany or not, but I didn't like it at all. Unfortunately I haven't tasted other kinds of German choco.
Bitter chocolate is my love 

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Sherlock: "I need to get some air, we're going out tonight."
John: "Actually, I've uh, got a date."
Sherlock: "What?"
John: "It's where two people who like each other go out and have fun."
Sherlock: "That's what I was suggesting."

September 4, 2012 12:36 am  #626

Apologies to my fellow Americans for my sweeping statement about our chocolate preferences.  I misspoke: some of us do not care for Hersey's, but lots of us apparently do. 

So we go round the sun; if we went round the moon, or round and round the garden like a teddy bear, it wouldn't make any difference.

The consolation of imaginary things is not imaginary consolation. -- Roger Scruton

September 4, 2012 2:14 am  #627

hepzibah wrote:

How about a heart with SH loves JW and an arrow though it? 

And did you realise that the name of the product is rather rude in English? 

HAHAHA! I was just thinking the same thing. I want a box to bring to work; medical people have very odd (and good) senses of humor.

***********************************************************************************************************************
In a world of locked rooms, the man with the key is king. And honey...you should see me in a crown...

September 4, 2012 2:21 am  #628

221B Baker Street wrote:

You know you're obsessed with Sherlock when you're observing Banbha's avatar with pleasure and at this very moment your cell rings with "Staying alive" and you think Wow! 

This avatar is very distracting. I'd set my ringtone to "Stayin' Alive," but I rarely have the sound on. Always on vibrate.

And to add to the chocolate discussion, I completely agree that American chocolate is inferior. I'm not a fan of Hershey's AT ALL, but I will agree that most Americans eat American chocolate. Many would agree that, say, Belgian chocolate is better but they won't pay for it. Anyway, I think I said this somewhere else, but if I go to Canada (I live 2 hours from the border), I will come back with loads of Aero bars and Smarties to give away (and keep!) because the chocolate is so much better, and they aren't expensive at all. You can get Canadian Aero bars here in Michigan, but the freshness is usually iffy.

If I'm in the mood for chocolate, I will usually buy Lindt or Cadbury from the grocery store.

Someone once told me that the reason American chocolate is inferior is because our FDA allows there to be more wax used as filler than other countries do. I don't know how to verify that so...take it as you will.

Last edited by Banbha (September 4, 2012 2:25 am)

***********************************************************************************************************************
In a world of locked rooms, the man with the key is king. And honey...you should see me in a crown...

September 4, 2012 6:18 am  #629

221B Baker Street wrote:

Davina wrote:

I was going to say that last time she posted the photo but I chickened out! Well done Hepzibah! Lol

Well, the same is with me. Everybody noticed but decided to hold the tongue  .

Chocolate thing is a very interesting topic in fact  . Among all kinds I prefer Russian chocolate of some definite brands as it has a high percentage of cocoa. I tasted chocolate from China, it really tastes of soap. Korean chocolate is a little bit better but also not chocolate at all )))
Once I got a present from my relatives in German, it was Merci bars. I don't know whether it is considered to be a good choco in Germany or not, but I didn't like it at all. Unfortunately I haven't tasted other kinds of German choco.
Bitter chocolate is my love 

Merci is definitely not the best German chocolate. When I want to give something special I buy Feodora or "Braune Blätter" (brown leaves) from Hachez that really look live leaves and are delicious. But I must admit, Swiss chocolate is really, really good and there is a great variety at all prices. BTW, I recently missed the Cadbury bars with these fancy turquoise mint slivers in it you could buy from the automats at train stations.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 4, 2012 7:02 am  #630

Swiss or Belgian chocolate is the best. I always got Lindt teddy bears for Christmas when I was little. The Brits do however also make some great chocolate products. Yay! Smarties!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 4, 2012 7:15 am  #631

221B, if you don't like Merci, you have to taste Milka. *joking!*
These are the "cheap", common chocolates I don't like much either. They contain lots of milk and sugar, but not much cacao.
They seem to improve in bitter chocolate here now, there are many more to buy than some years ago and they are changing from the taste of cooking chocolate to something you can really enjoy.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

September 4, 2012 7:18 am  #632

I like Milka, I really do. And dark chocolate as well. And champagne truffles. And Choco Crossies. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 4, 2012 10:11 am  #633

Sherlock: No, John, this way.
John: And why are we sneaking out the back?
Sherlock: We are trying to avoid the notice of those women. Obviously, they are...( makes squashy face)...fans.
John: Sorry, why is that obvious?
Sherlock: Really, John-- they are discussing chocolate.
John: Erm....chocolate? Like Smarties, you mean?
Sherlock: Hurry up! I am *not* signing photos, especially not that stupid hat picture!
John: I haven't eaten yet today, I've been chasing round with you...I could fancy some Smarties....

Last edited by NW16XE (September 4, 2012 10:15 am)

September 4, 2012 10:37 am  #634

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

September 4, 2012 3:14 pm  #635

Smarties are chocolate where you're from?? Mmmm... chocolate. I really like Hershey's. And Cadbury. And Dove. And all the other kinds.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sherlock: "It's this or Cluedo."
John: "Ah, no. We are never playing that again."
Sherlock: "Why not?"
John: "Because it's not actually possible for the victim to have done it, Sherlock!"

September 4, 2012 3:31 pm  #636

My absolute favourite brand of chocolate is from Austria: "Zotter". Everything is handmade, organic and fairtrade.
There's only one shop here in Germany - fortunately less than 30 minutes away from my place. This little shop ist just wonderful: You can taste a lot of different types of chocolate and I would never leave without at least one "Mitzi".
http://www.zotter.at/en/homepage.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

September 4, 2012 3:56 pm  #637

Ha! Here Dove is a type of soap.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 4, 2012 5:57 pm  #638

You know you're obsessed with Sherlock when you decide it would be fun to scrunch and fluff up your short dark hair when drying it so it will come out in Sherlock curls.  Then, in the middle of asking your husband if he thinks it looks cute that way, you say to yourself, "Oh wait, do I want him to find it cute if I look like Sherlock....hmmm...better not go there!" 

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

September 4, 2012 6:31 pm  #639

Curly Sherli - cutest thing ever:

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

September 4, 2012 6:37 pm  #640

The hair is lovely. It's a pity he doesn't like it himself and thinks he looks like a woman. I mean, what's wrong about being a woman? 

Board footera