BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 16, 2012 7:49 am  #541

Re: You know you're obsessed with Sherlock when...

… when you translate the sentence "... high cheekbones that cut his face into plains, and a tight mouth that looked like it could curl up in the corners, but didn't" and go on thinking "Oh, yeah, I know that man." 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 16, 2012 8:15 am  #542

What exactly are you translating right now??

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

August 16, 2012 8:31 am  #543

A so-called young adult thriller (Ghost Flower) which isn't really good, I'm afraid to say. But at least this sentence was nice. If course I'd prefer something Sherlockian like "Dust and shadow" but so far no publisher wants to do a German translation  .

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 16, 2012 10:11 pm  #544

that, indeed, is just cruel start to the day!

August 17, 2012 2:30 am  #545

SusiGo wrote:

No, I bought the sleeve at Etsy. It's the same in both pictures showing the two different sides. I guess it's not so difficult to make them but I'm not very talented in this and don't have the time. But someone who's good at this could to give it a try …

The sleeve itself would be very easy to make.I've sewn lots of things like it and much more complicated ones, too. It's the artwork and creativity that make it  special. Very nice.

Hmm, maybe my Kindle is itching for a new sleeve...

Last edited by veecee (August 17, 2012 2:30 am)

August 17, 2012 2:31 am  #546

SusiGo wrote:

… when you translate the sentence "... high cheekbones that cut his face into plains, and a tight mouth that looked like it could curl up in the corners, but didn't" and go on thinking "Oh, yeah, I know that man." 

"Plains" or "planes"?

August 17, 2012 2:56 am  #547

SusiGo wrote:

A so-called young adult thriller (Ghost Flower) which isn't really good, I'm afraid to say. But at least this sentence was nice. If course I'd prefer something Sherlockian like "Dust and shadow" but so far no publisher wants to do a German translation  .

I'm waiting on The House of Silk. It's been in "processing" for ages, but I asked a librarian and she said that she'd expedite it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

August 17, 2012 3:19 am  #548

veecee wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

"Plains" or "planes"?

I hope it's planes (the height and width of something, not to be confused with an airplane, lol). His cheeks and cheekbones aren't *that* large, to be plains. Damned English, with all its homonyms and multiple meanings for the same word.

August 17, 2012 3:34 am  #549

ancientsgate wrote:

Damned English, with all its homonyms and multiple meanings for the same word.

You're a native speaker and you admit it. Can you imagine how non-natives feel? Sometimes I'm really at a loss what a person means by using some words.
Today I've read an article about shooting "Parade's End" and there was "And Cumberbatch found his acting skills further stretched by the demands of this ancient sport. One scene, which involved a group walking and talking, culminating in Cumberbatch tee-ing off, had to be repeatedly reshot as words and bodies and timing got muddled. Finally, everything fell into place and Cumberbatch swung his club magnificently - unfortunately forgetting to hang on to it.
What does 'to hang on to it' mean in this context? What did he forget to do?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Sherlock: "I need to get some air, we're going out tonight."
John: "Actually, I've uh, got a date."
Sherlock: "What?"
John: "It's where two people who like each other go out and have fun."
Sherlock: "That's what I was suggesting."

August 17, 2012 3:38 am  #550

221B Baker Street wrote:

ancientsgate wrote:

You're a native speaker and you admit it. Can you imagine how non-natives feel? Sometimes I'm really at a loss what a person means by using some words.
Today I've read an article about shooting "Parade's End" and there was "And Cumberbatch found his acting skills further stretched by the demands of this ancient sport. One scene, which involved a group walking and talking, culminating in Cumberbatch tee-ing off, had to be repeatedly reshot as words and bodies and timing got muddled. Finally, everything fell into place and Cumberbatch swung his club magnificently - unfortunately forgetting to hang on to it.

To hang onto something is to keep a grip.

Last edited by Smoggy_London_Air (August 17, 2012 3:45 am)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't know; I saw.

August 17, 2012 3:45 am  #551

Smoggy_London_Air, that's what I supposed, thank you! But it would have been easier to understand if they wrote 'he failed to keep a firm grip' .

August 17, 2012 3:45 am  #552

221B Baker Street wrote:

Smoggy_London_Air, that's what I supposed, thank you! But it would have been easier to understand if they wrote 'he failed to keep a firm grip' .

But we do love our idioms!

I didn't know; I saw.

August 17, 2012 3:49 am  #553

Smoggy_London_Air wrote:

But we do love our idioms!

That's the problem! So there's nothing to do but to learn English further

August 17, 2012 3:50 am  #554

221B Baker Street wrote:

ancientsgate wrote:

It sounds as though he swung his golf club and accidentally let it go flying out of his hand.  Maybe it went and hit someone in the head or something. Embarrassing!  To hang on to something means to keep your hands on it, not let go of it until you're ready. You can also hang on to an idea-- maybe someone wants you to think differently about XYZ, but XYZ makes sense to you, and you want to "hang on" to your ideas about XYZ.

Every language has something called colloquial expressions (slang), which further complicates things. English has scads of them, and in English's case, it's further complicated by the Brit/American/Australian thing, since we all have our own colloquialisms, depending on where we live.

Colloquialisms include words (such as y'all, gonna, and wanna), phrases (such as old as the hills, raining cats and dogs, and dead as a doornail) and aphorisms (such as There's more than one way to skin a cat).

Y'all means you all. As in, "Hello, there, y'all!" and "Y'all going to the movies tonight?" I think it's mostly a Texan US thing.
Gonna is going to, but we pronounce it gonna, and it's often written gonna in dialogue, between informal speakers.
Wanna is want to, but we pronounce it wanna, for the same reasons.
Old as the hills has nothing to do with hills-- it just means that someone or something is very, very old--- ancient.
Raining cats and dogs is just an expression-- no cats and dogs are coming down from the clouds. It just means it's raining really hard.
Dead as a doornail has nothing to do with doors and their nails-- it just means dead, completely dead, and going to stay that way. People and animals can be DAAD, but so can ideas.
There's more than one way to skin a cat has nothing to do with cats or sharp knives-- it just means there's more than one way to get something done.

Our homonyms are infamous and difficult for even native speakers who are lousy spellers-- there, they're, their.  Pair, pare and pear. Plane and plain. Alter and altar. Bear and bare. Censor, censer, sensor. Medal, meddle, metal, mettle, all of which are just about indistinguishable in regular speech. You can google English homonyms for an extensive list, but get ready to be confused.

August 17, 2012 3:51 am  #555

221B Baker Street wrote:

I studied French idioms, and realized the only reason that I understand the English ones is because they've been hammered into my head since before I was born.

I didn't know; I saw.

August 17, 2012 3:54 am  #556

221B Baker Street wrote:

Not easier for us. Easier for us would be whatever is most commonly used for a certain idea, so it won't sound all stilted-- in this case, he didn't hang on to the thing! His grip could have been loose, come to think of it, and he *still* could have hung onto it.

By the way, only people are "hanged"-- remember that opening of The Great Game (or was it the banker one? whichever, you know the scene I mean) where Sherlock told that prisoner guy that he wouldn't get hung for what he'd done--  hanged, maybe.... wiseass! *laugh*  We hang our clothing on a hook (or on a hanger, not to be confused with a hangar, which is where an airplane is parked for the night), but then it's hung. Not hanged. Only people get hanged. And no, I don't know why.

Last edited by ancientsgate (August 17, 2012 3:56 am)

August 17, 2012 4:03 am  #557

ancientsgate, you must be a teacher or a tutor, I think  .
I have no problems with phrases like 'it rains cats and dogs'. The most difficult for me is when a verb acquires an enormous number of possible prepositions, such as hang on, hang out, hang over, hang up, etc. I know most of them but sometimes they drive me mad .

Last edited by 221B Baker Street (August 17, 2012 4:04 am)

August 17, 2012 4:05 am  #558

Smoggy_London_Air wrote:

221B Baker Street wrote:

I studied French idioms, and realized the only reason that I understand the English ones is because they've been hammered into my head since before I was born.

Male Canadian French-speakers can call their wives, female lovers, etc. "mon petit chou" (forgive my spelling-- it's been a long time) which means literally my little cabbage, but the expression has nothing to do with cabbages. I believe all languages have these idiomatic colloquialisms. Not sure, but I know French and English both do. I also studied German about 100 years ago in HS, but I've forgotten more of that than I ever knew, unfortunately.

August 17, 2012 4:08 am  #559

Smoggy_London_Air wrote:

221B Baker Street wrote:

I do believe every language has its own peculiar difficulties. In Russian we have seven!! cases and million endings. In comparison with Russian English is an easy thing  .

I think we are OFF the thread's topic, sorry.

August 17, 2012 4:10 am  #560

221B Baker Street wrote:

ancientsgate, you must be a teacher or a tutor, I think  .
I have no problems with phrases like 'it rains cats and dogs'. The most difficult for me is when a verb acquires an enormous number of possible prepositions, such as hang on, hang out, hang over, hang up, etc. I know most of them but sometimes they drive me mad .

I am a nobody, but I have done some writing, and I've also done extensive beta reading work for several fan fic authors. I guess I have... a gift for my language. My daughter in law has a college degree in English-- I'm sure she knows lots of stuff I have no idea about. I do love reading and spelling and fixing grammar, though, so.... frustrated teacher maybe. I think English is a beautiful language, even though it all lives in the back of our throats, the way German does, lol.

The hang thing is interesting. As a native speaker, I never give the differences between all those a thought. Wow... it must be *hard* to keep straight. We even have an expression when we say, "Hang it all!" when we get frustrated and are at the end of our patience. There's hang in, too-- "Hang in there, it'll get better," means don't give up.

Board footera