BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 28, 2012 12:36 am  #421

Re: You know you're obsessed with Sherlock when...

Mattlocked wrote:

Ah, YES...  THAT was meant by "Saturday, 1:20"...
I would have checked tomorrow night... 

Anyway, doesn't matter... dubbed... 

I love that moving icon thingie in your posts with Sherlock whipping out the two little bags of potato chips (lunch, anyone?), walking alongside John, with Molly bringing up the rear. Look at how the gait of men differs from that of women. And I don't believe that's something they did deliberately, not acting--  I think that's just how two men walk along, and how women walk differently. Interesting, to see how their bodies move so differently-- female impersonators have to learn that female-walk.

July 28, 2012 1:52 am  #422

I think that was The Great Game. It's the same scene where Sherlock tells John he has given Mycroft the memory stick and been threatened with a knighthood "again."

I think he yells something at the TV like, "Of course, he's not the boy's father. Look at the turn-up on his jeans."

Oh, my God. I guess remembering that shows how obsessed I am. Or else I'm showing off. ("Showing off is what we do.")

Anyway, I agree. Their relationship is so -- what did  you say -- squee. I"m not sure what that means, but I think it fits.

July 28, 2012 2:05 am  #423

veecee wrote:

anyway, I agree. Their relationship is so -- what did  you say -- squee. I"m not sure what that means, but I think it fits.

Squeeeeee! is what fan!girls do when they're over the moon, literally beyond words. You know, that high-pitched-someone-stepped-on-the-mouse squeal of delight.

That makes the S/J relationship squee-worthy. Or, sometimes, thud-worthy, when you find yourself in a dead swoon and toppling off your chair about it.

July 28, 2012 2:09 am  #424

ancientsgate wrote:

loved that brief scene, don't even know what ep it was in anymore, with Sherlock bundled up his coat, legs drawn up under himself in his chair,....John has his coat on in that scene, too--  did the gas go out? *g*.

Answering myself here, how "obsessed" is that, I ask you. Anyway, I wonder if the gas actually DID go out. Remember that earlier scene with John sitting in the livingroom looking at all the PAST DUE bills that had come in the mail?  Hmmm.

You know you're obsessed when you have to go to the internet to figure out what the game of Cluedo is and find it's our Clue. OK, at least now I know what game they were talking about. Imagine playing Clue with SH? As John yelled at him, "No, it isn't actually possible for the deceased to have done it." (I'm paraphrasing)  lololol  I can picture Sherlock sitting there arguing about it, making a case for the idea. I wouldn't play Cluedo with him either.  heh

July 28, 2012 4:12 am  #425

They are bundled up in their coats inside 221B because the windows to the flat blew out in the bomb blast and apparently aren't fixed yet.  Also, the gas may be out on the whole street due to the effects of the blast - so probably not overdue bills 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

July 28, 2012 4:35 am  #426

KeepersPrice wrote:

They are bundled up in their coats inside 221B because the windows to the flat blew out in the bomb blast and apparently aren't fixed yet.  Also, the gas may be out on the whole street due to the effects of the blast - so probably not overdue bills 

Ah. Gotcha. You can tell, I often watch these episodes on DVD, in 10 or 15 minute snatches of time, when I have time to sit down with it during my day. I lose continuity big time that way, admittedly. What you say makes perfect sense. Although the not paying the bills thing appeals to my sense of humor.  heh

July 28, 2012 4:39 am  #427

Hey Ancientsgate - what are you still doing up at this hour?    I just watched the Opening Ceremonies and then like a nutcase I come right to this Forum to see what other people had to say.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

July 28, 2012 5:10 am  #428

KP, that makes sense.

Also, at least once, there's a fire in the fireplace. And I think they even run off leaving it burning. Is it a real fire or a gas one? I don't picture them having the latter, but I don't know what's common in London apartments (flats).

Overall, I think they might have what my sibling and I call "movie weather." It allows one person to wear a coat while another is sleeveless. I think at the end of Hounds, Sherlock is wearing his coat, while John is sitting otuside eating in his shirtsleeves.

July 28, 2012 5:26 am  #429

veecee wrote:

KP, that makes sense.

Also, at least once, there's a fire in the fireplace. And I think they even run off leaving it burning. Is it a real fire or a gas one? I don't picture them having the latter, but I don't know what's common in London apartments (flats).

Overall, I think they might have what my sibling and I call "movie weather." It allows one person to wear a coat while another is sleeveless. I think at the end of Hounds, Sherlock is wearing his coat, while John is sitting outside eating in his shirtsleeves.

No idea if that's what a real flat in real Baker St would have, but that's a gas fire on the set. No logs, no crackling or sparks flying. Gas is much cleaner, simpler, easier to maintain, probably safer.

Sherlock wears his coat everywhere, pretty much. Unless Irene has it on.

July 28, 2012 7:22 am  #430

Of course he's not the father! Look at the turn-ups on his trousers!

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 29, 2012 7:56 pm  #431

You know you're obsessed with Sherlock if you're debating whether he has a real fire or a gas fire.

It's very canon for them to have a real fire...and it certainly looks real, although I guess they wouldn't have had a real fire on set, far too dangerous.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

July 29, 2012 8:31 pm  #432

I have friends who have a real fireplace, and they have to keep a huge stack of wood in their living room all winter in order to keep it running. So unless there's some corner of 221b that we've never seen before where they store the wood...

I wish it was real, though. You're right, it would be so canon 

July 29, 2012 11:28 pm  #433

Arya wrote:

I have friends who have a real fireplace, and they have to keep a huge stack of wood in their living room all winter in order to keep it running. So unless there's some corner of 221b that we've never seen before where they store the wood...

I wish it was real, though. You're right, it would be so canon 

Back in the days of servants (which Holmes had in the ACD stories, at least the first one, which is as far as I've read), they took care of the fires-- procured the wood somewhere, hauled the wood, stacked the wood, and did the extremely messy job of cleaning the hearth every day, sometimes twice a day (loads and loads of very dirty, sooty ashes to dispose of), as well as keeping the flue and chimney free of that dangerous creosote stuff. I imagine some people do have wood fires in modern-day London (although the air quality regs might forbid it these days, no idea), but more and more folks are going to either bottled propane or natural gas now. It's instant (flip a switch, like turning on a light), it's clean, there's no maintenance to hearth or flue, no wood storage mess (splinters, bugs, having to have the space), or heavy work hauling logs, etc.

July 30, 2012 7:33 am  #434

Log-burners are very popular here in the UK. Not so much coal fires though. Messy things they were.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 30, 2012 8:38 am  #435

When you smiled thinking about Mycroft's statement: "An imaginative range, we are assured."

That line was delivered so eloquently, and I can't help thinking of naughty thoughts. xD

July 30, 2012 10:24 am  #436

when you tell your pregnant drama teacher (who has a son called John) to call the baby SHERLOCK.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 30, 2012 11:01 am  #437

Or Hamish!

July 30, 2012 11:49 am  #438

You want to adopt two male kittens, just so you can name them Sherlock and Mycroft (no, I'm not that crazy, but the thought has occurred).

July 30, 2012 7:13 pm  #439

Shark_Blade wrote:

When you smiled thinking about Mycroft's statement: "An imaginative range, we are assured."

That line was delivered so eloquently, and I can't help thinking of naughty thoughts. xD

Ugh. I thought I was doing so well after four to five viewings, but I can't place that quote. Which episode and what was the context?

July 30, 2012 7:26 pm  #440

Scandal in Belgravia. At the palace when they're talking about Irene's royal client.
Sherlock: And this person was shown in some compromising positions  (Phrasing all wrong, sorry!)
Mycroft: an imaginative range we are assured

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

Board footera