BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 16, 2012 1:32 pm  #21

Re: What Dr. Watson should be or not be...

hypergreenfrog wrote:

I find "pacifist" an interesting choice of words for an ex-army doctor. I don't think he is too easy going, quite the contrary. I rather get the impression that he frequently has to fight an urge to boil over with rage, or even punch people, which is why he feels so comfortable around Sherlock, who always speaks his mind.
His figure is quiet, yes, but that makes it even more effective when he does strike out (verbally or literally).

He does control himself quite well. Remember he's suffering PTSD

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 16, 2012 3:30 pm  #22

See, when Martin explodes in rage  , it's just like when John does. I am saving my pennies so i can buy the @#$% you, I won a BAFTA t-shirt, not sure if I will wear it in public or keep it for PJs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

June 16, 2012 7:17 pm  #23

I forgot about the Bafta!  I suppose what I meant was: In the current crop of awards nominations, he isn't being included.

And I had seen that interview recently and when that word was uttered, I was like: Wow--that's acceptable on British TV?!  Wow!  (I'm not familiar at all with that particular show.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

June 16, 2012 7:29 pm  #24

It's from a talk show called The Graham Norton Show. I'm pretty sure it's okay to swear on TV if it is after a certain time. 9pm pr 10pm, depending on the country. If I was going on television I would need a list of words I couldn't use cus I swear like a drunken @#$%^& sailor. It's very liberating.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

June 16, 2012 8:02 pm  #25

It's 'after the watershed" which in the UK is 9pm. All a bit weird really what with 24 hours tv 'n' all. Same on the radio.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 5, 2012 6:25 pm  #26

As long as John stays loyal to Sherlock.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 5, 2012 7:02 pm  #27

Sherli Bakerst wrote:

I think Martin Freeman isn't getting all the credit he deserves precisely because he does come off seeming like "a normal guy" when playing Watson.  But that's in contrast to Sherlock, who clearly isn't normal.  But if Watson didn't seem to be an everyday type of guy, then I think it'd be a lot more difficult to appreciate just how different Sherlock really is, because there wouldn't be a regular foil for him to play off of.  It's much more subtle than just pairing two actors who are opposite in a physical way, such as in hair color or height or gender.

And it's a credit to Martin's acting that, although he appears to be "just like us," when he does explode--whether by shooting the cabbie dead, not stopping once he got started hitting Sherlock, or whatever--it seems completely plausible and in character for him to behave that way.  In fact, in his interactions with Mycroft, John shows his disdain and contempt with cutting sarcasm and softly-spoken words instead of lashing out physically.  Which, to me, makes him seem much more dangerous than if he merely ranted and raved at Mycroft because you just know, if John ever did blow up, the explosion would be epic.  But he doesn't need to do that because the dangerousness that is within him--as a soldier, as a loyal friend--is kept under tight control and only released when and if absolutely necessary.  And then it has a much greater effect.

I like Martin's John for a lot of reasons. One of the things I haven't seen mentioned is that he lets himself cry. I love a man who can cry on occasion and when warranted, especially if anyone else can see.

John puts up with an unbelievable amount of Sherlock's s***.  If he clocked Sherlock every time he needed clocking, Sherlock would be in traction during half the show, lol. John has unbelievable amounts of patience. Maybe too much sometimes.

As for Martin not getting the credit he deserves for his John, well.... he did win a BAFTA after all. I'd say that someone gave him some credit there anyway.

October 5, 2012 7:06 pm  #28

hypergreenfrog wrote:

I find "pacifist" an interesting choice of words for an ex-army doctor. I don't think he is too easy going, quite the contrary. I rather get the impression that he frequently has to fight an urge to boil over with rage, or even punch people, which is why he feels so comfortable around Sherlock, who always speaks his mind.
His figure is quiet, yes, but that makes it even more effective when he does strike out (verbally or literally).

Yeah, but you gotta admit-- he most often errs on the side of uber-patience. In that cringe-worthy Xmas eve scene, Sherlock deserved to be tossed out one of the front windows of 221B. Instead, all John did was stand there mutely, looking as though someone had fed him a week-old prune. His only comment I can remember was when he once quietly told Sherlock, "Take a day off, will ya?" How many men would stand by while a male friend dissed his girlfriend(s) so thoroughly? Or while his friend shut a door in his face when all he wanted was to make sure said friend was okay? Sometimes I want to take John by the lapel and shout at him, "Tell him off, will ya? He NEEDS telling off!"  I dunno, I suppose that would make the show boring and change the nature of both their characters. All I know is, someone who's uber-patient like that seems almost abnormal in his own right.

And I LOVE John, everything about him. I just want to give him a push sometimes. *g*

October 5, 2012 7:18 pm  #29

I'll only get really frustrated with him if he gets cross with Sherlock next episode.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 7, 2012 9:39 am  #30

I'm not entirely comfortable with labels like 'bad ass' and positively detest terms like' BAMF'.
But John is certainly a man of action and the perfect partner in the double act.

October 7, 2012 10:12 am  #31

In the first episode I really thought - my god, this man IS patient....
When Sherlock texted him and after John finally has arrived all Sherlock wanted was his phone. John got really upset then and I wondered why he didn't simply turn around and leave the flat.
Meanwhile I think he was also very desparate. "Nothing happens to me" "I was so alone"
And curious. Esp. after the warning given to him by Donovan.
So maybe in this special situation he was even more patient as he is anyway.

And I agree, it's a perfect character and IF he gets angry it is even more effective.... 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

October 7, 2012 10:19 am  #32

It's quite amusing for the audience, when John gets cross/moralising.
But I tend to be with Sherlock.  I particularly dislike ' false' sentiment.

October 7, 2012 6:25 pm  #33

Mattlocked wrote:

In the first episode I really thought - my god, this man IS patient....
When Sherlock texted him and after John finally has arrived all Sherlock wanted was his phone. John got really upset then and I wondered why he didn't simply turn around and leave the flat.....

It's not just Sherlock's place; it's also John's, and he has his own room to retreat to, if he needs to get away from Sherlock. Sherlock apparently wouldn't a) even know if John were home or not and b) if he did know he wasn't right with him, wouldn't know or care if he was upstairs in his room or in Dublin! I completely understand why John didn't turn around and leave--  if he did that every time Sherlock did something or said something pissy, John would be effectively homeless!

October 7, 2012 6:30 pm  #34

besleybean wrote:

It's quite amusing for the audience, when John gets cross/moralising.
But I tend to be with Sherlock.  I particularly dislike ' false' sentiment.

False is in the eye of the beholder. What one person might think is false/fake/baloney, another would think was true/real/just.  John's wondering aloud why Sherlock couldn't seem to show concern for others whose lives were in imminent danger, for instance-- something most people would understand and agree with-- might strike Sherlock as false sentiment, but....  what's fake or sentimental about that? I see John in those cases as being the Voice of Everyman-- he gets to say things to Sherlock that most of the rest of us are sitting there thinking. In that way, he himself (his nature, his personality and character) and the words he's given to say are a plot device inside the story.

October 7, 2012 6:41 pm  #35

I think Sherlock's: there are plenty of people dying in this hospital Doctor,is particularly pertinent.

October 9, 2012 9:05 pm  #36

besleybean wrote:

I think Sherlock's: there are plenty of people dying in this hospital Doctor,is particularly pertinent.

I love that line!

And also the, "will caring about them help save them?" and John has to admit, "no" and Sherlock replies "then I'll continue not to make that mistake." It sounds cold and heartless but it's so true - caring about them won't help save them!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

October 9, 2012 9:53 pm  #37

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

besleybean wrote:

I love that line!

And also the, "will caring about them help save them?" and John has to admit, "no" and Sherlock replies "then I'll continue not to make that mistake." It sounds cold and heartless but it's so true - caring about them won't help save them!

But most people wouldn't make a conscious decision about that.  They would just care, because that's what they do. Sherlock implies here that he can turn his caring on and off.

October 9, 2012 10:26 pm  #38

ancientsgate wrote:

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

besleybean wrote:

I love that line!

But most people wouldn't make a conscious decision about that.  They would just care, because that's what they do. Sherlock implies here that he can turn his caring on and off.

THAT'S WHAT PEOPLE DOOOO!! (sorry couldn't resist)

And yes, I think he CAN turn his caring on and off. We've seen that he can and does care about others, but at the same time he's able to detach himself and look at things from a purely logical clinical point of view, which is an essential skill for his detective work.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

October 10, 2012 7:37 am  #39

And more honest/productive than people shaking their heads,sighing and saying:  people might die here...

October 11, 2012 9:35 pm  #40

Swanpride wrote:

I don't think that Sherlock sees caring as "false", but as useless most of the time. And I guess that he sometimes wonders if there is something wrong with him, because he doesn't react like the other people.  But, to be fair, John can be very uncaring, too, if he feels the situation calls for it.

John's "uncaring" is more in the line of taking care of dirty business. The soldier in him coming out, I suppose. He's also a doctor, and they can be very resolute when they have to do things that cause physical pain, as well as tell people things that are hard to hear and deal with, etc. Either way, soldier or doctor, I think John is one of those get-things-done people, just in a much different way than Sherlock. But I would never categorize John as uncaring. Just my take on that.

Board footera