BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 6, 2013 6:23 am  #161

Re: National Theatre "Live"- Frankenstein

No, you're right.
That's the whole point of the story!
Incidentally and this is just my oopinion:  why would you visit this thread if you didn't want spoilers?!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 6, 2013 7:20 am  #162

SolarSystem wrote:

I saw it tonight and still am a bit lost for words. The whole show and especially Benedict as Creature was amazing, breathtaking, extraordinary.
I can't even say what I liked best... the first ten to fifteen minutes, when the Creature 'is born' and evolves from barely being able to move to finally running around... so, so awesome. I sometimes just held my breath and didn't dare to stir in my seat.
I was totally mesmerized by Ben's acting - not just in this first scene, but throughout the whole show. God, I knew it before, but now it's definitely official: he is talented beyond belief.

I am lazy and just quote what Solar wrote. I watched it yesterday and it was AMAZING! I knew he was a good actor but this was ... well. The way he uses his whole body, his voice that was so much stronger than any other voice in the ensemble, the total fearlessness of the performance - wow. 
(There is no smiley to express this better). 

Last edited by SusiGo (December 6, 2013 7:47 am)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 6, 2013 7:41 am  #163

Sigh... perhaps there is still the chance of a release on DVD someday.... I'd give my right arm to watch this...

Last edited by gently69 (December 6, 2013 7:42 am)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

December 6, 2013 8:53 am  #164

You are so right, Susi, the way he acted with his entire body... Benedict must be totally exhausted after such a performance. I mean, it's not just walking on stage, delivering your lines and giving an outstanding performance. It's so much more in this case. From head to toes, he really was the Creature...!
I was also quite amazed by the way in which they brought humour into the show. It probably goes back to the play, I know, what nevertheless.. the way in which Benedict delivered those slightly humorous lines was just... sometimes I was quite close to tears, it was that moving.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

December 6, 2013 8:58 am  #165

Yes, it was very moving. The learning scenes with the old man were lovely and it was heartbreaking how the Creature knew that everything would be destroyed the moment the young people saw his face. 

During the curtain call he was still out of breath. No wonder. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 6, 2013 9:08 am  #166

SusiGo wrote:

Yes, it was very moving. The learning scenes with the old man were lovely and it was heartbreaking how the Creature knew that everything would be destroyed the moment the young people saw his face.

I would say he was the most intelligent human being of all of them.Once he learned how things in the world work, he knew that there just would never be a place for him.
And Placebo is right, when he was 'born' he was pure, inncocent, like a child. His whole learning process was that of a child, just a lot faster. When he came into touch with humans, he learned it all, the good stuff and the bad stuff. And the way they reacted to him made him into a monster.
And I have to say, even though I knew how the old man's son and his wife would react to the Creature, it was so gripping to see Benedict convey the Creature's feelings and his fear... wow, just wow.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

December 6, 2013 9:09 am  #167

So an indisputable confirmation of his acting skills again?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tony Hadley)

December 6, 2013 9:20 am  #168

Yes. Indeed. It is really breathtaking. I was so glad it finally came to a cinema in my area. 

December 6, 2013 9:22 am  #169

And I missed it.

(Tony Hadley)

December 6, 2013 9:38 am  #170

So sorry. Hope there will be another time. 

December 6, 2013 9:41 am  #171

You were in Düsseldorf? Spotted this date too late.

(Tony Hadley)

December 6, 2013 10:23 am  #172

Yes, we were. A shame they showed it only for one day and just one version. Would have loved to see both. 

December 6, 2013 10:48 am  #173

How long was the play?

(Tony Hadley)

December 6, 2013 10:53 am  #174

Approximately two hours.

And yes, Susi, I'd also love to see the other version. It would be so interesting to see the differences in terms of their acting and also in terms of the effect the whole show has on the audience. Might the effect be a slightly different one when they switch roles?

December 6, 2013 11:18 am  #175

Certainly it depends on their presence in the different roles.
Well they should have shown a second screening on another day.

(Tony Hadley)

December 6, 2013 11:22 am  #176

It was interesting how they described their preparations for the part of the Creature. While Benedict mentioned observing patients in rehabilitation clinics JLM was inspired by his two-year old child. I would love to see how this influenced their interpretations. 

December 6, 2013 9:24 pm  #177

Oh yes, it was a blast! And mind-blowing. As you said before: I knew, that Benedict is a very good actor. But this was.....nearly no words to describe. So happy to see him as the creature. And sorry, no one of the cast could reach him. Outstanding performance!

I´m also very glad that I´ve met SusiGo & Schmietzi. It was a lovely evening, girls!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage"

December 6, 2013 9:33 pm  #178

I'm happy that you enjoyed this! I was hopping mad that I missed the whole thing - but I felt too sick for travelling yesterday. Would have been lovely to finally meet you, Sava.
But there'll always be a next time..

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

December 6, 2013 9:36 pm  #179

@tobeornot221b: maybe Jan. 12 th ;-)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage"

December 6, 2013 9:46 pm  #180

Sava wrote:

@tobeornot221b: maybe Jan. 12 th ;-)

*fingers crossed*

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

Board footera