BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 17, 2012 12:05 am  #1

The Gay Thing

Of course John and Sherlock aren't gay together...Sherlock is asexual for a start off. They have a unique relationship/friendship and Sherlock obviously really cares for John even though he hates to admit it, and I would go as far as to say John loves Sherlock, but not in a gay way otherwise he wouldn't forever be trying to get girlfriends...

...but it's sort of an ongoing joke throughout the series, which is amusing, and I think there's at least one reference to it in every episode, the first one being the one I have as my signature from A Study In Pink...

Care to elaborate on some the other references/jokes?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

February 29, 2012 9:22 pm  #2

Re: The Gay Thing

A STUDY IN PINK

OK I can think of three examples in this ep:

1. Mycroft asks if they can expect a happy announcement by the end of the week
2. Mrs Hudson asks if they'll need two rooms
3. The waiter refers to John as Sherlock's date, then they have that whole awkward boyfriend/girlfriend conversation

Can anyone think of anymore for this ep or shall we move on to Blind Banker?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 9, 2012 9:21 pm  #3

Blind Banker I think!

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 9, 2012 9:34 pm  #4

SHERLOCK: "I need to get some air to the brain. We’re going out tonight."
JOHN: "Actually - I’ve got a date."
SHERLOCK:"What?"
JOHN: "It’s where two people who like each other go out and have fun."
SHERLOCK: "That’s what I was suggesting."
JOHN: "No it wasn’t (breath) At least I hope not..."

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

March 9, 2012 11:25 pm  #5

Haha, yeah that always makes me laugh. And when he turns up to gatecrash John's date, priceless.

March 10, 2012 8:00 am  #6

The bit when John then says to him really loudly that he's trying to get off with Sarah and she appears in a real cringing chuckle one too.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 11, 2012 2:35 am  #7

I'm glad some people agree that they aren't gay.. ahaha.. I found a lot of fan art that makes me say : oh c'mon guys, don't ruin their image please.

brotherhood isn't a gay thing.. ;)

© unreasonablyme

I don't need a superheroes... I need hero just like Holmes. :3

March 11, 2012 10:11 am  #8

Yeah, they're just close friends and the jokes are meant just for fun.

March 11, 2012 10:37 am  #9

Exactly! I think the humour is lost on some people.

March 11, 2012 12:01 pm  #10

that's right... their imagination too wild I guess..

© unreasonablyme

I don't need a superheroes... I need hero just like Holmes. :3

November 2, 2012 6:25 pm  #11

I think their relationship is really the glue that holds it all together. They need each other and they're better together and there's nothing sexual about that. I do enjoy the running joke though. And, I'm really hoping they won't marry John off too soon. I look forward to the two of them back together again at 221B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

November 2, 2012 10:26 pm  #12

Yes, the story with Sarah has really hilarious moments. I too prefer to have both of them together in 221B, not John married off and just coming for a visit now and then. It wouldn't be the same. And ACD was quite quick in getting rid of poor Mary, wasn't he? Like you said, harleyq, their relationship is at the core of the series and of the Sherlock Holmes myth as well. He wouldn't function without John Watson.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 30, 2012 8:13 pm  #13

Well... I think nobody expects them to be all lovey-dovey or make out or something
but if you just look at every time they laugh together, look at eachother or just... don't know... talk to eachother...
they're just bound to stay together!
I can't imagine Sherlock being happy without John and neither John without Sherlock...
And them being.. not together... but something like that
Is the best way to secure them to stay together...
Also because Sherlock is sort of asexual John as something like a Friend or Brother is the nearest thing to love sherlock knows
All in all I just want them to stay like they are (or were... before the... Fall...) and maybe a little teeny-weeny bit more...
Johnlock...

MK

December 1, 2012 1:53 am  #14

That teeny-weeny bit more is what I hope and look for too Lelli.  The bromance tease of this shop is just awesome.  I keep waiting to see how far the creators dare to push the envelope.  I mean, that handcuff and fence scene in Reichenbach was positively deliberate -although there was still enough ambiguity to interprete it as just action/adventure for those not inclined to Johnlock. I doubt the writers will go far in pursuit of a "gay thing", but I do think the bromance angle will continue to be played and I for one plan to enjoy every little tease they throw my way.  And when I see Santa this year, I'm going to tell him all I want for Christmas is a great reunion scene when Series 3 comes out!

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

December 1, 2012 4:17 am  #15

I echo your Christmas wish KP. A great reunion, more bromance and happy/arguing at 221B. What more could a girl want?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

December 1, 2012 8:34 am  #16

I'll put that down at once on my wish list. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 1, 2012 9:48 am  #17

KeepersPrice wrote:

all I want for Christmas is a great reunion scene when Series 3 comes out!

THIS.

(I think it's certain that's what we're getting though.)

I love the in-jokes; they give real warmth and humanity to the scripts. I completely understand when people want to see them as a couple (because of their own preferences or perhaps simply because a lot of you have filthy imaginations  )

I see them as having a close friendship. ..*very* close... 'The Thousandth Man' kind of close (if you haven't read that poem for god's sake go and do so. I'll wait here whilst you do... done? Excellent!  )

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Non Solum Ingenii Verum Etiam Virtutis'

December 1, 2012 10:47 am  #18

Oh that poem is really nice I have a fable for poems ^^
But I think Sherlock is Johns thousandth man and not the other way round... Because Sherlock hasn't had the thousand... It's more like John is his first friend.
Oh but I really enjoyed the poem ^^ It reminds me of... things...

December 1, 2012 12:27 pm  #19

Mnemosyne, I hadn't read this poem before so I'm printing it here for those like me.  It is lovely.  I need to read more Kipling!   Thanks.

The Thousandth Man

0NE man in a thousand, Solomon says.
Will stick more close than a brother.
And it's worth while seeking him half your days
If you find him before the other.
Nine hundred and ninety-nine depend
On what the world sees in you,
But the Thousandth Man will stand your friend
With the whole round world agin you.

'Tis neither promise nor prayer nor show
Will settle the finding for 'ee.
Nine hundred and ninety-nine of 'em go
By your looks, or your acts, or your glory.

But if he finds you and you find him,
The rest of the world don't matter;
For the Thousandth Man will sink or swim
With you in any water.

You can use his purse with no more talk
Than he uses yours for his spendings,
And laugh and meet in your daily walk
As though there had been no lendings.

Nine hundred and ninety-nine of 'em call
For silver and gold in their dealings;
But the Thousandth Man he's worth 'em all
Because you can show him your feelings.

His wrong's your wrong, and his right's your right,
In season or out of season.
Stand up and back it in all men's sight
With that for your only reason!

Nine hundred and ninety-nine can't bide
The shame or mocking or laughter,
But the Thousandth Man will stand by your side
To the gallows-foot - and after!

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

December 1, 2012 3:57 pm  #20

Thanks for posting, this is really fitting for Sherlock and John. 

Board footera