BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 28, 2022 8:09 pm  #1

Inside Man

Any Brits watching this new BBC production?
Created and written bt Steven, produced by Sue and directed by good ole' Paul McGuigan.
Also starring David Tennant, for those who consider him the best Doctor...
fine actor, anyway.
The rest of the cast is top class, too.
A thoughtful show, of course.
I really watched it  to see the dedication to Beryl, at the end!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 29, 2022 9:59 am  #2

Re: Inside Man

No, I haven't watched it yet but it was on my radar.  Thank's for the reminder!  I have a feeling there was another Steven Moffat TV thing planned with Peter Capaldi, who I consider was actually the best Doctor!  Love David Tennant, though. 

October 9, 2022 6:57 pm  #3

Finally caught up with it!  It reminded me a lot of Sherlock, which maybe isn't surprising!  I particularly enjoyed the deduction parts. 

October 12, 2022 7:22 pm  #4

I just looked this series up and it appears it's on Netflix, which I didn't know. Might have to give it a try. I know my dad has told me about other David Tennant stuff he's seen on Netflix, but can't remember if this is one of them or not.

Clueing for looks.

November 6, 2022 6:04 pm  #5

I watched the first episode last night. My feelings about it are mixed. I enjoyed the opening scene, the women helping each other through a terrible situation on the subway. I thought it was interesting to see a character like Sherlock, in terms of his ability to make deduction and as someone who helps individuals with mysteries in their lives, who is also an inmate and murderer (a little bit like Hannibal Lecter, I realize now).

The scene where everything starts to unravel with the flash drive, the son taking the blame for it because he doesn't know what's on it (also, I noticed Louis Moffat in the role! He's so big now!) was quite interesting. I'm kind of curious why David Tennant's character seems prepared to take the fall for this, what else he's protecting that young man from besides the abusive mother. I don't understand why he went so off-the-rails with his violent behaviour towards Janice. That's the mystery, I suppose. But at first, before we see her trying to get some power in what is happening to her, it really felt like she was a strong woman being indirectly punished for who she is.

Also, the way the Stanley Tucci character and his prison buddy make light of the situation with the money transfers towards the end...it rubbed me the wrong way. They were laughing about something I thought was actually quite sad. I guess they are inmates, murderers, so they are maybe not supposed to have the same morals as the rest of us, but I found it an odd choice that put me off. I've seen other people online over the years criticizing the ways Steven Moffat has portrayed women in his various shows. In previous instances, I've not really agreed, but I'm not sure I like how the women are portrayed here, even if we do have a woman in the important journalist role.

Overall, it was a combination of curious and off-putting, and I'm not sure it was my mum's cup of tea, so I don't know when or if I'll watch more. 

Last edited by Yitzock (November 6, 2022 6:05 pm)

Clueing for looks.

November 6, 2022 6:07 pm  #6

Er, that isn't Louis Moffat...

AH, it all becomes clear.
I recognised him as well...
checked and of course the name threw me.
So thanks for allowing me to sort that out.
He's very good.

Last edited by besleybean (November 6, 2022 6:09 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 6, 2022 8:15 pm  #7

He is, isn't he?  His parents must be proud.  I didn't recognise him, but it's obvious now you've pointed it out! 
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Yitzok.  I suppose in favour, all the women in the show are quite strong characters.  But that also gives a message that they should be strong characters.  I do remember one of the things I didn't like so much about Sherlock was that violence was used for humour at times and seemed to go a bit too far. I think particularly about the scene where Sherlock has apparently repeatedly thrown somebody out of a window.  But I don't think it's meant to be a reflection of real life morality. 

November 6, 2022 8:19 pm  #8

Funny that the throwing out of the window one, didn't bother me at all...
the worst for me is listening to Mark and Steven on the commentary, laughing at the execution of CAM.
Anyhow, by coincidence, we are having the same discussion of Louis Moffat on my other Sherlock Forum!

November 7, 2022 3:40 pm  #9

When I first saw the credits I thought maybe it was just someone who looked a lot like Louis Moffat, but then I checked online and saw that it was him.

It's been a long time sincce I have thought about that bit about Sherlock throwing someone out of a window multiple times. I can't remember how I reacted to that the first time I watched it. I don't remember being that bothered, but I can understand why you would have been, LIberty.

I didn't know about the commentary, as I only have heard excerpts from commentary on the first episode on YouTube. Perhaps the humour about violence is just a quirk of Steven's that doesn't always work for me because of where they've taken it in this show. I thought it was kind of a clever deduction, but it bothered me the way they tried to turn it into something funny. 

Last edited by Yitzock (November 7, 2022 3:49 pm)

Clueing for looks.

November 7, 2022 7:50 pm  #10

It didn't really upset me but more made me uncomfortable.  It was clear it was meant to be funny, but actually torturing somebody wasn't that funny to me.  I felt the same (although not as much) about John repeatedly beating up Sherlock at the reunion, but I think for Moftiss it was hilarious.  The thing is, I don't think that necessarily means they think either of those things would be OK in real life. I think maybe Inside Man bothered me a bit less, because I wasn't so invested in the characters.   But it still made me uncomfortable - although I suppose it was meant to.  There were some really dark themes! 

November 15, 2022 7:38 pm  #11

Yes, definitely dark themes! I still haven't gotten around to watching more.
But I get what you mean about John repeatedly beating Sherlock up. I think for me it was funny that he kept getting angry, even with Sherlock's repeated attempts at explanations, not necessarily the actual beating him up part.

Clueing for looks.

November 15, 2022 9:41 pm  #12

I suppose it was kind of funny. Inside Man is too, despite the darkness. I was just thinking, I was talking recently about another TV series with two main characters in relation to Freud, and how one character seemed to be very ID driven and the other very superego ... it just occured to me that it's sometimes like that with Sherlock and John, with John being driven by primal urges of anger, etc., and Sherlock possibly overthinking and trying to rise above.  Not as good a match, though, now that I think of it. 
It's a bit frustrating as seeing Steven write a Sherlocky character just makes me want more Sherlock!  I accept that it's over, but I have really fond memories! 

November 16, 2022 5:21 am  #13

Likewise and it will remain my fave TV series...
none has ever affected me so much.
Oh I have been watching Yasmine on Richard Osman's House of Games this week...
there was a question about Andrew Scott,
She dived in with the answer, I think she's a fan!

Last edited by besleybean (November 16, 2022 5:22 am)

November 16, 2022 4:45 pm  #14

I get what you mean about this Sherlock-y character making you want more Sherlock. For me it helps a bit to watch or read other Sherlock Holmes things, but of course it's never exactly the same, though different interpretations can be nice too.

Clueing for looks.

Board footera