BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 21, 2012 4:29 am  #21

Re: Drugs

Oh, no. They have long hours and work that requires concentration. Off-label prescription drug use is one, not-uncommon way to keep up. This article (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/10/education/seeking-academic-edge-teenagers-abuse-stimulants.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all) is about use in high school, but here's the relevant paragraph:

"Pills that have been a staple in some college and graduate school circles are going from rare to routine in many academically competitive high schools, where teenagers say they get them from friends, buy them from student dealers or fake symptoms to their parents and doctors to get prescriptions."

I don't think Sherlock would be very bothered about those "law things" if he found such drugs interesting, and it's not out of character for him to use chemical means to sharpen that already razor wit.

June 21, 2012 4:33 am  #22

And from this older article about college users (http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/04/27/090427fa_fact_talbot#ixzz1eSfNDibE) this description stands out to me:

“I alternated between speaking too quickly and thoroughly on some subjects and feeling awkwardly quiet during other points of the discussion.† Lunch was a blur: “It’s always hard to eat much when on Adderall.â€

June 21, 2012 4:35 am  #23

Ah well then, that IS drug abuse. (And any idiot who does it gets what they deserve eventually)
But back to the show, it's not a matter of what is legal with the character of Sherlock; it is a matter of responsibility by the creators, Moftiss. It would be irresponsible of them to highlight that kind of drug abuse & again, it is not what ACD did with the canon.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 21, 2012 4:39 am  #24

I agree with you that it would be far from canon to make him a junkie or addict; but there is a difference between use and abuse. Sherlock is curious and constantly seeking stimulus. I see no reason whatsoever he should not, canonically, have experimented with Ritalin, Adderall, or similar. And pills are more likely to linger even if they're not being taken, which would explain his "shut up now" line to John in that same scene.

June 21, 2012 4:40 am  #25

Please, it is up to the Admin here but I would prefer you do not post any more links to those stories.
They are full of possible misinformation & dangerous assumptions. Drugs used as prescribed are 'safe' to a degree; drugs 'used however anyone wants to use them' is both a foolhardy way to live & abuses the human mind & body in many untold ways. If people think they need those to 'perform better' then they really have a shaky foundation to build their egos on.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 21, 2012 4:54 am  #26

Neither article in any way encourages non-prescribed use of such medications, and I trust both the New Yorker and the New York Times to keep "misinformation" to a minimum. They're not perfect, but the journalistic quality of both is very high.

But I'm sorry that this topic upsets you -- I thought we were just discussing the character, in the context of modern culture (hence the articles, since you appeared not to have heard about this subject) and various references in the show. Had I known I would not have pursued the conversation. Clearly you and I are approaching this issue from very different perspectives. My apologies.

June 21, 2012 6:30 am  #27

imane nikko wrote:

Neither article in any way encourages non-prescribed use of such medications, and I trust both the New Yorker and the New York Times to keep "misinformation" to a minimum. They're not perfect, but the journalistic quality of both is very high.

But I'm sorry that this topic upsets you -- I thought we were just discussing the character, in the context of modern culture (hence the articles, since you appeared not to have heard about this subject) and various references in the show. Had I known I would not have pursued the conversation. Clearly you and I are approaching this issue from very different perspectives. My apologies.

The New Yorker article is negligent at best.
This is a rising problem in society & all they appear to do is tell a story about academics taking these drugs & a few side effects.
Where are the warnings about how dangerous it is? Young people will see a story about how people cope with stress and jump on board; there is nothing to tell them the dangers whatsoever. Telling half a story is akin to misinformation and is certainly not what I would call quality journalism.

The New York Times at least points out the dangers & effects & does in fact sound warnings to readers, but only after giving many examples of 'kids getting ahead' and spells it out in black & white exactly HOW you can get these drugs.
At least they gave the warnings.

As for upsetting me, I am more concerned when these things are posted online in forums etc where people (esp young people) will read some of it
but not all of it. Drug Education comes in many forms but this is not one of them in my opinion.

Society is more likely to overlook this kind of drug use 'because the kids get ahead' , another form of extremism. However woe betide any Sports person who uses similar drugs, the headlines scream "Cheat!!!" ; well isn't this what 'the kids' are doing? Both forms of drug abuse WILL result in long term negative effects.

So yes, from what I know & have seen (and I did know very well of this subject, I preferred to hope that you meant otherwise) I detest any kind of promotion of this in the public arena. That is how misconceptions & myths sprout.
"It's on the internet so it must be true".

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 21, 2012 8:07 am  #28

They did managed to show him having a puff (and DEFINITELY inhaling in the scene outside the mortuary with Mycroft. There is, of course, the hint of a drug habit in the past with the raid on the flat in ASiP. Showing nicotine patches would be ok, because that is indicating an attempt to kick the ciggies habit (good bit of acting from Benedict, as he doesn't seem to be doing that himself).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 21, 2012 7:50 pm  #29

kazza474 wrote:

And Sentimental Pulse, I kinds figured you may have been joking , but honestly if you've seen as much as I & others have ever since Feb this year, you'd understand why we sometimes 'miss' the joke part.
There have been some wild ideas floated around, lol.

Kazza I had zero doubts that you had me figured out. I always play Moriarty to your Sherlock. Always a step behind I am I can inagine you have seen some of these issues discussed ad nauseum

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disguise is always a self portrait

June 23, 2012 10:42 pm  #30

I mentioned earlier somewhere here that using drugs and/or smoking are things that Cumberbatch's Sherlock differs from the other portrails. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was just thinking about this, and I think other things that his Sherlock hasn't done is disguising himself as someone else and he hasn't done much martial arts (in the Irene Adler episode there was one fight scene I recall). Why do you think this is, since those things are the kind that the character is most well known for. And there are no persian slippers to be seen either.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

June 24, 2012 8:06 am  #31

He did disguise himself as a vicar to gain entry to Irene's place and as a security guard to get into the Hickman Gallery...that's it for disguises so far.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 24, 2012 11:08 am  #32

Ok, didn't remember that. Never mind me then.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 24, 2012 12:01 pm  #33

Oh I dunno, the vicar one was used, but mainly Moftiss have used the modern day alternative to physical disguises such as 'borrowed' passes into military bases. No longer is identity confined to appearances remember.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 24, 2012 12:07 pm  #34

kazza474 wrote:

Oh I dunno, the vicar one was used, but mainly Moftiss have used the modern day alternative to physical disguises such as 'borrowed' passes into military bases. No longer is identity confined to appearances remember.

Yes, this is true of course. It's more about fingerprints, eye scans and so on. But I'm still glad he did at least the vicar thing if nothing else. I would like to see some more physical stuff from Sherlock though, because that safe scene was so damn cool.

June 24, 2012 1:41 pm  #35

I don't know if anyone here has seen the unaired pilot but we get much more than an insinuation that Sherlock has done drugs; we get a full admission. The plot is slightly tweaked, and has Sherlock playing drunk in order to get the cabbie to pick him up. The cabbie sticks a needle in his arm, but we don't see it, and the cabbie says,

Cabbie: "Do a lot of drugs, Sherlock Holmes?"
Sherlock: "Not for a while. Why?"
Cabbie: "Because most people would have passed out by now."

So we get confirmation, at least if we consider information conveyed in the pilot to be true in the finished series.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

June 24, 2012 2:35 pm  #36

There is more than a hint at drug use in ASiP when Sherlock uses the specific words 'I'm clean'. This is the terminology a previous user (not necessarily an addict) would use. Lestrade also says clearly that the drugs bust stops being pretend if they find anything. Sherlock is clearly agitated throughout this scene, which can be partly explained by the police just being in the flat, but notice that John is not nearly as agitated. When John says to Lestrade that he is pretty sure that they could search the flat all day and not find anything recreational Sherlock stares him down and tells him that he might want to shut up now.

The police know that Sherlock has the bag, that he is withholding evidence. The punishment for this is the drugs bust. If he had no experience of problems of this kind it is unlikely that the police would have chosen that way of putting pressure on him to conform. He also seems to know who would have been likely to have been on a normal drugs bust.

One thing I also just noticed is that immediately prior to Sherlock going up the stairs to the flat, whilst the police are rummaging about, his Belstaff coat is hanging on the bottom of the stairs i.e. on Mrs. Hudson's floor.

June 24, 2012 7:36 pm  #37

Davina wrote:

One thing I also just noticed is that immediately prior to Sherlock going up the stairs to the flat, whilst the police are rummaging about, his Belstaff coat is hanging on the bottom of the stairs i.e. on Mrs. Hudson's floor.

He left it there on purpose so the police wouldn't find his secret stash of 7%. 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 24, 2012 9:12 pm  #38

Just what I was thinking. Out of character and normal habits, isn't it!

June 20, 2013 12:57 pm  #39

Some speculation on how to hide drugs, anyone?
John: Where is it anyway?
Sherlock: Safest place I know.
Mrs H. has the phone.

John: It's a drugs bust, Mrs Hudson.
Mrs H.: They're herbal soothers. Just for my hip.

What if Sherlock did actually gave Mrs H. some "herbal soothers" to help her with the pain in her hip.
And Sherlock could get them just in case of an emergency (back)fall.

January 16, 2016 8:34 am  #40

So here's an interesting (cracky) theory about Sherlock using drugs at Christmas
http://finalproblem.tumblr.com/post/137260806760/finalproblem-i-feel-like-this-confirms-my

Last edited by ukaunz (January 16, 2016 8:43 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Board footera