BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 30, 2012 3:31 am  #1

Hello from California

Have been a Sherlock fan since the first season was shown in the US.  Just got Season 2 on DVD and am ready to dig in.  Insofar as Sherlock Holmes, I read all the books when I was 14 and have been a fan since.  But Sherlock, I feel, is by far the best adaptation I have ever seen. 

I must confess that it's been so hard for me to find sites on the internet that is about Sherlock.  Then I went to I-Tunes and found the Babes of Baker Street podcast (terrific!) and someone there recommended the BBC Sherlock website and that is how I found this Fan Forum.  I am SO happy to find a site where I can read other people's comments and ideas on the episodes.

I have been having one problem that I hope someone here can help me, and that is I cannot play the videos on the BBC Sherlock website.  I keep getting a failure message.  I can play videos here and anywhere else but not there.  Does anyone have any idea why that could be, or any suggestions as to where I can go to get help?  I do thank you for any help you can offer me.

Again, so glad to be here and I look forward to diving in and reading the comments of my fellow Sherlock fans!

May 30, 2012 4:30 am  #2

Re: Hello from California

hey  wimsey,  welcome to the forum!!   I'm  glad you  found this site. 

I  too,  live in the USA,  and I  too  cannot  play  the videos  on  the BBC  website.   Reason?   I  don't live in the UK,  and only  ppl who  have a UK address on their PC  can play  them.   I  get the error message  "Not avail in your area"   is that what you get?   yeah,  it's cos  we are trying to play their vids  on a  PC  that's not in the UK.   There is a website that will change yur  PC  address,  but  I  have not tried it yet as I'm  nervous about it.  'm  told it's free,  and it'll  change yur PC's address to allow BBC  vids to play.   Also,  there's another BBC  website that I  use sometimes to  watch live streaming BBC  shows.   I  get those off of facebook.  So  I  don't have that site in my favorites folder,  sorry!!  Maybe TMI  here,  but I hope this helps. Oh  the reason you can play vids here,  is that most of them  are YOUTUBE related, which is world-wide.

welcome again!!   

I'm a cat,  and I live under Sherlock's chair.

Last edited by sherlockskitty (May 30, 2012 4:31 am)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

May 30, 2012 4:38 am  #3

Welcome to the forum Wimsey! I hope you have a great time amongst the crazy Sherlockians.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 30, 2012 5:45 am  #4

"Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them."

Thank you Davina.  Your quote above is possibly my most favorite of the series. 

Sherlockskitty - thank you so much for the info - now I can stop beating my head agains the wall!  I might try to figure out a solution.  Or, maybe just go to England some day!  Cheers!

May 30, 2012 6:12 am  #5

Welcome Wimsey!!! Glad to have you

Try searching for the videos you're after on YouTube. Sometimes people re-upload them for international viewers. Dunno why the BBC doesn't make them available to international fans but meh.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

May 30, 2012 7:20 am  #6

Wholocked - I agree the BBC should be more user friendly with their videos.  After all, we are fans too!  I'll look for these videos on U-tube.  Thanks!

May 30, 2012 2:41 pm  #7

Welcome to the forum! Lots to see and contribute to here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

May 30, 2012 7:00 pm  #8

Hello Wimsey welcome on board.
Are you by any chance not only a fan of A. C. Doyle but also a fan of Dorothy L. Sayers? I had to think "Lord Peter Wimsey" when I read your name.

May 30, 2012 8:33 pm  #9

hello hello

May 31, 2012 3:24 am  #10

Hello Sammy and Violet.  Violet, you ask if I'm a fan of Dorothy L. Sayers and her wonderful character Lord Peter Wimsey?  Bingo!  I especially like his character as protrayed by Edward Petherbridge that we in the states saw on Masterpiece Mystery on PBS, and I now have it on DVD.  He and now Benedict Cumberbatch join my list of 'brain sexy'.  I could never understand why Harriet Vane was able to resist him for so long!

May 31, 2012 3:28 am  #11

Hi wimsey. Welcome to the forum, enter at own risk; could be dangerous.
I live in Aussie and the video problem happens here too. Quite often however, some lovely person in the UK will load it up to Youtube, so copy & paste the title there & you often will find a version you can watch.

And if you don't, you usually find other gems to watch anyway .

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

May 31, 2012 5:32 am  #12

Welcome to the forum Wimsey - hope you have fun here.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 1, 2012 1:06 am  #13

Welcome ! = )

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Wanted! Schrödinger's cat. Dead and alive."

Board footera