BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 29, 2012 2:44 pm  #1

Twitter length stories

Having read Kazza's post about the New Yorker magazine publishing Jennifer Egan's short story on Twitter and their hilarious takes on classics summarised in Tweet form, I was thinking that we could steal, a bit, the idea and have a go at writing our own summaries of either a particular Sherlock episode or an original Sherlock Holmes story.

I reckon people can just have a go at any episode or story they want setting them out like the examples below but maybe leaving out the author's name?

Here are some of the, frankly, brilliant examples from the New Yorker post:
2. Moby Dick by Herman Melville
One-legged sailor seeks single white whale. #Revenge
9. The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells
Now you see me. Now you don't. Plot's good but character development is full of holes. #Hollowman
10. The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkein
Road trip with friends who are weighed down with bad bling.#Hobbitforming

Hopefully we can have a bit of fun with these.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 29, 2012 2:46 pm  #2

Re: Twitter length stories

Oh...a Tweet has a maximum length of 140 characters for anyone who isn't familiar with them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 29, 2012 2:46 pm  #3

May I demonstrate my fuddy-duddy-ness, and ask what the rules for "Twitter"ing are?

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

May 29, 2012 2:46 pm  #4

The Blind Banker
WTF?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

-m0r

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

May 29, 2012 2:47 pm  #5

Well, I timed that just perfectly, didn't I? : )

May 29, 2012 2:50 pm  #6

I am now laughing so much at The Blind Banker one I cannot think! What's your # for that one m0r?

crying with laughter!

May 29, 2012 2:53 pm  #7

m0r1arty wrote:

The Blind Banker
WTF?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

-m0r

Oh God... I can't stop laughing... Oh my God, this is SO good

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

May 29, 2012 2:56 pm  #8

I'm glad that some good has come from that episode then 

-m0r

May 29, 2012 2:57 pm  #9

Here's one:

A study in pink
Boy meets boy, moves in with him and have a lot of fun while catching killers #alarmingshadeofpink

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

May 29, 2012 3:01 pm  #10

M0r it was supposed to be a summary of the story not a review! Lol #weallknowwhatyouthinkofthatepisodenow

May 29, 2012 3:02 pm  #11

A Scandal in Bohemia

The Woman beats the Man at the Game while the King loses face and the Doctor adds a page to his files. (sorry; don't know what the # thing is about)

May 29, 2012 3:11 pm  #12

Davina wrote:

M0r it was supposed to be a summary of the story not a review! Lol #weallknowwhatyouthinkofthatepisodenow

Please, feel free to try and provide a better summary!

Tantalus, the # is known as the 'hashtag' and it's what people add to their posts to generate 'trending' which means lots of people 'tweeting' about the same topic.

I know, I don't understand it either!

-m0r

May 29, 2012 3:12 pm  #13

A Study in Pink

Mad cabbie plays pill-popping chess. Meets his match with sharp-shooting doc. #fullmetaljacket

May 29, 2012 3:12 pm  #14

Sherlock BBC

Pink.Paint.Pool.Woman.Hound.Fall#besttvseriesever

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

May 29, 2012 3:13 pm  #15

P.S. I don't really understand #either! Cannot think of a summary of TBB. Lol

May 29, 2012 3:21 pm  #16

The Blind Banker

too much yellow paint#lookhardatsomethingtoseeitsvalue

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

May 29, 2012 3:22 pm  #17

Hmmm.... Well then, how about "#notsoscandalousphotos"

May 29, 2012 3:28 pm  #18

tobeornot221b wrote:

The Blind Banker

too much yellow paint#lookhardatsomethingtoseeitsvalue

Or,

The Blind Banker
The Dancing Men cleverly disguised through poor script-writing and bad direction #nitpicksareus

May 29, 2012 3:31 pm  #19

The Blind Banker
The BBC goes back to it's clichéd prejudice roots and picks on the world's biggest superpower population - poorly #Numbah-one-son!

-m0r

May 29, 2012 4:19 pm  #20

Ouch! You guys are so harsh to The Blind Banker...how about this instead:

The Blind Banker
Arguments with chip & pin machines, fights with Chinese gangsters, ciphers based on A-Z

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

Board footera