BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 8, 2012 1:12 pm  #21

Re: John at the Supermarket

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

I was in the supermarket today and thought about this scene again...and I had a thought...when John gets back without the shopping, Sherlock tells him to borrow his card...so John must know Sherlock's pin number!

Yep.  It's J-O-H-N   heh

August 8, 2012 1:14 pm  #22

ancientsgate wrote:

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

I was in the supermarket today and thought about this scene again...and I had a thought...when John gets back without the shopping, Sherlock tells him to borrow his card...so John must know Sherlock's pin number!

Yep.  It's J-O-H-N   heh

Aww that's so sweet.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

August 8, 2012 1:16 pm  #23

Davina wrote:

Ordinary people are sooooo BORING!!'

But we're adooooorrrrable!

August 8, 2012 11:36 pm  #24

ancientsgate wrote:

kazza474 wrote:

Don't you guys have credit cards that just swipe through without using a pin number? Or Paypass (that's what it's called here anyway) which just needs you to wave the card in front of the machine?

Here in the States, we need a PIN to do everything with debit and credit cards.

Well, I'm in the US and use two different credit cards (Visa and Discover); when I'm at a store, I just swipe them and the transaction goes through.  I don't need a PIN# to use either one.  Of course, if the amount is over a certain dollar figure, then I have to sign for it, but that's different from using a PIN#.  I thought only debit cards needed a PIN# to work, not credit cards.

Last edited by Sherli Bakerst (August 8, 2012 11:38 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

August 9, 2012 5:41 am  #25

Credit cards here in the UK generally need a PIN for the transaction. There are some places where you can just place the card on the top of the machine and not have to then enter your PIN but there is a limit as to how much it can be for, maybe £15 I think. I have only actually used this at McDonalds.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 9, 2012 11:12 am  #26

I always thought that the whole point was to show

1. how much Sherlock already trusts John
and at the same time
2. how little Sherlock cares about something as mundane as money.

I mean what could possibly happen? John taking off with whatever is on the card?

I used to flatshare, and that included sharing PINs. Yepp, really.

August 9, 2012 5:05 pm  #27

The Doctor wrote:

I always thought that the whole point was to show

1. how much Sherlock already trusts John
and at the same time
2. how little Sherlock cares about something as mundane as money.

I mean what could possibly happen? John taking off with whatever is on the card?

I used to flatshare, and that included sharing PINs. Yepp, really.

I agree. I think I'd have no trouble trusting someone who had saved my life. By killing someone, yet. Wow. Anyone who took that kind of risk for me, I would hardly worry about them stealing my PIN.

Sherlock is just glad he doesn't have to do the shopping. Can you imagine him standing there, trying to figure out which kind of apples to buy? That bowlful of apples in the LR at Baker Street that Moriarty chose from that day must have been bought by John. Or maybe Mrs. H thought they looked pretty sitting there. I wonder, when Sherlock saw Moriarty pick one up, if he said to himself, "Oh, apples. We have apples."   *snerk*

August 9, 2012 7:24 pm  #28

"Anyone who took that kind of risk for me, I would hardly worry about them stealing my PIN."

Yes, I have to agree.   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was worth a wound–it was worth many wounds–to know the depth of loyalty and love which lay behind that cold mask. The clear, hard eyes were dimmed for a moment, and the firm lips were shaking. For the one and only time I caught a glimpse of a great heart as well as of a great brain. All my years of humble but single-minded service culminated in that moment of revelation.

August 9, 2012 7:48 pm  #29

Honestly I think that is over thinking the scene somewhat.
The scene is simply for comic value & comparison

When the writers construct a scene, they don't do this "ok, let's show this part of their character" thing. They just portray the character. The character is in their head, already formed. If they simply SHOW you 'this is what they would do, this is what they would say'  then you can form your opinions on what this means.
So that being said, the scenes are just 'funny' in reality; not 'illustrations of character'.

Please don't dissect dessert, just enjoy it.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

August 9, 2012 8:03 pm  #30

kazza474 wrote:

Honestly I think that is over thinking the scene somewhat.
The scene is simply for comic value & comparison When the writers construct a scene, they don't do this "ok, let's show this part of their character" thing. They just portray the character. The character is in their head, already formed. If they simply SHOW you 'this is what they would do, this is what they would say'  then you can form your opinions on what this means. so that being said, the scenes are just 'funny' in reality; not 'illustrations of character'. Please don't dissect dessert, just enjoy it.

If we weren't into dissecting the minutia of various scenes, this forum would not exist.

August 9, 2012 8:12 pm  #31

kazza474 wrote:

ancientsgate wrote:

If we weren't into dissecting the minutia of various scenes, this forum would not exist.

maybe for some. In any case, why dissect what does not need dissecting? It's a straight forward scene.

In your opinion.

August 10, 2012 12:15 am  #32

ancientsgate wrote:

That bowlful of apples in the LR at Baker Street that Moriarty chose from that day must have been bought by John. Or maybe Mrs. H thought they looked pretty sitting there. I wonder, when Sherlock saw Moriarty pick one up, if he said to himself, "Oh, apples. We have apples."   *snerk*

A pretty bowl of apples on the table would be a Mrs. Hudson kind of thing to do; but I like to think the apples were bought by John because we see he has one for breakfast in the opening of aSiP.  "An apple a day".....and all that.

I do love that opening of aSiP. We don't really know who the sad, lonely man is until he sets the coffee mug with the caduceus symbol (and I think maybe a military symbol also) on the table.  I remember saying to myself, "Ah ha!  That's Dr. John Watson!" Now I realize the apple was also a give-away. And it was a nice golden apple - sort of like our boy himself. 

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

August 10, 2012 12:21 am  #33

KeepersPrice wrote:

A pretty bowl of apples on the table would be a Mrs. Hudson kind of thing to do; but I like to think the apples were bought by John because we see he has one for breakfast in the opening of aSiP.  "An apple a day".....and all that.I do love that opening of aSiP. We don't really know who the sad, lonely man is until he sets the coffee mug with the caduceus symbol (and I think maybe a military symbol also) on the table.  I remember saying to myself, "Ah ha!  That's Dr. John Watson!" Now I realize the apple was also a give-away. And it was a nice golden apple - sort of like our boy himself. 

He is a golden boy, isn't he. You're right. Even the hair is golden. Lovely.

I wouldn't eat any apple that had been anywhere near Sherlock's kitchen, not without thoroughly vetting it first-- what if he'd injected it with some godawful thing and left it there while he went off to clean his mind palace or something? In fact, I don't know if I'd dare to eat anything out of that kitchen that wasn't in a sealed box or can or other container before I got to it. Anything left out or uncovered or in a baggie or piece of Tupperware would have to be suspect!

August 10, 2012 12:37 am  #34

And let's face it, there is only so much non-Sherlock talk we can fill the time with until Series Three comes around!

Though, it indeed is also a great time to go back through the ACD canon. Always has been, in fact!

November 3, 2012 2:57 am  #35

I hate the automated check out too, they never let you go without giving you a hard time. But, sometimes, I just don't have the patience to wait in line for a live cashier. It's hilarious to see John break down, fight with it and then go home and tell Sherlock what happened.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

November 15, 2012 3:57 am  #36

Swanpride wrote:

I have never been on such an automated check out...I have never even seen one. We have still cashiers at the supermarkets...in fact, one of the most common discounters here waited years before even adding the electronic pay option because the cahiers were actually faster with exchanging the money than the electronicsystem was able to proces a card. Now electronic pay is possible nearly everywhere, but I still prefer to pay in cash, for the simple reason that I have a better inkling how much money I spend this way. The card is only for the truly expensive stuff.

The great thing about the automated teller is that you can pay in cash as well as use a credit card. And, you're right about cash being better to track. It's really hit and miss, sometimes the live cashier is quicker and sometimes the automated is. Now bank tellers usually take forever, so I often opt for the drive-through teller, but tonight it took almost fifteen minutes, which was really surprising and frustrating.

This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

November 15, 2012 8:31 am  #37

Our supermarkets tend to have an assistant standing by the automatic checkouts to sort out any problems, which seems all a bit pointless really.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

November 15, 2012 10:42 am  #38

Davina wrote:

Our supermarkets tend to have an assistant standing by the automatic checkouts to sort out any problems, which seems all a bit pointless really.

John could have used someone to help him in that scene from the show, for sure. Remember the other people backed up behind him, all giving him "the look" until he finally gave up and walked away? What did he tell Sherlock about his trouble with the machine-- it just sat there while I shouted abuse at it, or something like that. Haven't we all been there?

November 15, 2012 6:01 pm  #39

Yes, we've all been there. And, our automated machines have assistants standing by too. It does seem silly, but they do at least sort the machine out quickly so you can continue your annoying chore and try to get out of the store.

November 20, 2012 9:57 pm  #40

I actually really enjoy going to those things now, as I basically just pretend I'm John every time. Sometimes I actually say his lines at the machine like, "yes alright, keep your voice down..." 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

Board footera