BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 28, 2012 2:15 am  #1

Mycroft Holmes and his drama

When I first saw Mark Gatiss leaning against that umbrella, I'll admit, my first thought was "This guy is totally Moriarty." Some things seemed a bit off but I wagered that that was poetic licence. After the ending, where Mycroft mentions their Christmas dinners, I went about wondering what they were actually like.

So, my thoughts aside, questions for discussion:
1. Did you think that Mycroft was Moriarty in the beginning or where you not fooled?
2. Did you anticipate that Moriarty had something to do with the murders even after seeing Mycroft?
3. What do you think those Christmas dinners have got to be like?
and most importantly,
4. Why is that umbrella so incredibly sexy?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

May 28, 2012 3:36 am  #2

Re: Mycroft Holmes and his drama

1. I was 3/4 convinced that they were portraying Moriarty with Gatiss which was going to disappoint me to no end. I think had they followed that pathway I wouldn't be here now. He was too 'nice' to be Moriarty, certainly nothing like the canon description. There were no signs of evil madness in him, no hate/nastiness at any time really. The aristocratic smugness shown by Gatiss just didn't sit well with me if he was really Moriarty.

2. I could see no reason to think that at all. There were many villains & stories in the canon besides ones with Moriarty in them.

3. Sherlock & Mycroft trying to outsmart each other over little things. Perhaps verbally dissecting the Christmas turkey, arguing the validity of the Bible story of Christmas.

4. It is?

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

May 28, 2012 5:58 am  #3

1 & 2) I hadn't read any of the canon stories before I watched Sherlock so I had no preconceptions about who this guy might be. There was clearly a history with Sherlock but I had no idea who he was.

3) That doesn't even bare thinking about. I can imagine the Holmes parents trying to follow the boys conversations, failing miserably, and yelling at them both to go do the dishes!

4) I don't find it sexy. But it has definitely come to be tied to Mycroft as far as the fandom is concerned!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

May 28, 2012 6:20 am  #4

For me 1 and 2 same as Wholocked. Just did not have a clue who Mycroft was.
Christmas dinners. Imagine them with their parents around a very large table in a very large dining room perhaps in some country retreat somewhere. The 'boys' trying to put each other down at every opportunity. Somehow I can imagine, perhaps, a servant bringing in the food because the impression I get it that they have a privileged upbringing. I think that they would spend the entire meal disagreeing with what the other would say. Also when 'mummy' and perhaps 'daddy' would ask each one what they had been up to, work-wise etc. they would make sniping comments under their breath whilst the other was talking. I can then imagine their poor mother asking them to, 'Please behave yourselves. Can you two just be nice to each other for one day. It is Christmas after all.' To which she would probably receive a whole barrage of why that is not really important from Sherlock in particular and Mycroft saying that Sherlock started it anyway because he is the irritating little brother.

After the meal they would probably try to settle down to 'a nice board game'...and we all know where that would probably end, don't we!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 28, 2012 7:00 am  #5

1. Did you think that Mycroft was Moriarty in the beginning or where you not fooled?

I  had NO IDEA  as to  who that guy with the umbrella  actually was.  I  hadn't  read the canon for awhile,  but I knew Moftiss were taking us away from the canon as much as they possibly could.  It  wasn't till the end of this episode,  that I  realized this was Mycroft,  but...as  i HAVE  read the canon story,  I  was beginning to see that THIS mycroft was different somehow. 

2. Did you anticipate that Moriarty had something to do with the murders even after seeing Mycroft?

No.   Moriarty never crossed my mind.   But,  what a TWIST  that was!!   

Sibling Rivalry,  perhaps?  Mycroft always getting the last word,  one-upping Sherlock?  Or the other way round?  And mummy always having to be the peace maker? But,  I  wonder if MYcroft has any friends...we did see him ALONE  on Christmas,  when Sherlock called him.     

and most importantly,

Because that is how they ARE!!!!   

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

May 28, 2012 4:55 pm  #6

Did you think that Mycroft was Moriarty in the beginning or where you not fooled?

I was 50/50 on the whole affair. I suspected it could be Moriarty but having access to all CCTV and public telephones made me suspicious that he'd be an overpowered Moriarty and quite impossible to 'outdo'. I wasn't certain it was Mycroft either due to Gatiss's excellent acting and Moff's brilliant writing. If John's opening was the hook, Sherlock's dealing with Molly the line, then Mycroft's first scene was the sinker for me.

Did you anticipate that Moriarty had something to do with the murders even after seeing Mycroft?

I didn't expect Moriarty to be in the first series at all, perhaps a hint at the end of it but certainly not a reoccurring element. 'A Study in Pink'  was an establishing piece to my mind and overwhelmed the fanboy in me with how much it delivered in one fell swoop.

What do you think those Christmas dinners have got to be like?

I don't think we'll ever get to know. This is one for the fans imaginings and not really my game.

Why is that umbrella so incredibly sexy?

Whilst the bumbershoot has made appearances all over the world there is something inherently British about it. It could be from colonial days when parasols and brollies had a very useful function or it could be as simple as John Steed from The Avengers using it as a dandy weapon during the 60's. I immediately thought of an incident I read about where a Bulgarian writer was killed by an injection of ricin whilst working for the BBC in London - there's just something of the spy and British to an umbrella and I think that's why Mycroft carries one. Also it's a great prop.

-m0r

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

May 28, 2012 5:22 pm  #7

That was Gregori Markov the KGB assassinated with the poisoned tip of an umbrella. I can remember this being BIG news at the time.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 28, 2012 5:27 pm  #8

I have it on good authority that I was born around that time.

Out of curiosity do we have any other mid-30's males on this board?

-m0r

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

May 28, 2012 5:45 pm  #9

I think it was their intention to make the audience think it was Moriarty at first. Even a casual Sherlockian knows that Moriarty is considered to be Sherlock's arch enemy, which is how Mycroft says Sherlock would describe him. That and the fact that he was playing with the CCTV, generally doing covert weird stuff and offering John money to spy on Sherlock. I definitely think it's supposed to be a surprise for the audience as well as John when it's revealed at the end that he's actually Mycroft. I can't comment on what I thought, because I actually saw Series 2 before Series 1 so already knew it was Mycroft.

I had no reason to suspect Moriarty had anything to do with the murders, especially knowing the original Study In Scarlet, which is very similar in storyline, ie. Murderous cabbie with aneurism, but obviously nothing to do with Moriarty. I only began t suspect it when he started talking about Sherlock's "fan", but again I was probably influenced by the fact that I'd already seen the second series.

Christmasses....Sherlock would of course spoil everything by guessing all his presents, him and Mycroft would argue and bicker, and I can't imagine either of them having much Christmas spirit or believing in Father Christmas for very long!

Umbrella....never really seen Mycroft as a particularly sexy figure, he just looks extremely cool all the time.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

May 28, 2012 6:22 pm  #10

I think Sherlock probably told Mycroft at an early age that Santa does not exist (by the way any young members of the forum who believe...he does exist really, I'm only joking!)

May 28, 2012 8:48 pm  #11

I've been researching the Gregori Markov umbrella murder. He was a Bulgarian dissident writer who worked for the BBC Wborld Service, the US funded Radio Free Europe and Deutsche Welle. He used this opportunity to criticise the then communist Bulgarian regime. There had previously been two failed attempts to kill him.

He was walking across Waterloo Bridge in London and then he waited at a bus stop for a bus to the BBC where he was working. He felt a sharp pain in his right thigh. He then saw a man picking up an umbrella from the ground behind him. Then man then got into a taxi and disappeared. He later noticed a small red pimple on his leg and told at least one colleague at the BBC about the incident. He developed a fever was taken to hospital and died three days later on September 11th 1978 aged 49.

Later investigations showed that he was poisoned with ricin that was derived from a specially designed pellet fired from the umbrella. The pellet was made of platinum and iridium and had a special coating designed to melt at the temperature of the human body. It was examined by experts, including those at Porton Down. Ricin has no antidote.

Later several well-known KGB defectors confirmed that the KGB had organised his assassination by an Italian 'hitman'.

Perhaps Mycroft carrying an umbrella is a nod to this case and the involvement of the Secret Service, albeit of another country. Whether or not this is the case I have found the whole episode fascinating.

May 28, 2012 10:18 pm  #12

Yes, I thought he was. There was something strange about him, though, but I just assumed he was Moriarty because he is the most famous and recognizable villain in the canon and really, I hadn't read the canon in a long time...

No, I didn't. I was distracted just thinking how absolutely amazing was what I was watching and how great were Freeman and Cumberbatch.

Akward, at the very least. Little Sherlock pissing off everyone with his observations, Mycroft rolling eyes while eating a big piece of cake and correcting his little brother, Mummy Holmes wondering what she had done to have that couple of sons...

Oh, I wish I knew... I've never found Mr Gatiss specially attractive, I must say, but in Mycroft's skin... well he is absolutely magnetic.

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

May 29, 2012 12:32 am  #13

Yes, I was fooled.
I didn't really know about Moriarty but I had something of an arch enemy at the back of my head and I thought Mycroft would be it.
And also no to the second question because of the obvious reason that I didn't know Moriarty...

Christmas dinners? A mess, I guess.
Quarrelling in turns with silence?

June 2, 2012 10:55 pm  #14

1) Yes, I thought it was Moriarty.  I hadn't read the canon before watching the show but I did know Moriarty was Sherlock's archenemy--that was the red herring for me, when Mycroft used that word.  And since I wasn't familiar with the backstory, I had no idea Sherlock had a brother.

2) No, I was totally surprised when Moriarty's name was mentioned at the end.  But I really enjoyed hearing it as I assumed it meant the shadowy presence that was Moriarty would run through the succeeding episodes and somehow be a connecting thread.

3) Not being Christian, I don't know what a normal Christmas dinner is like so I can hardly imagine what the Holmes' family one would be like!

4) I, too, thought of John Steed right away and, later, the Markov case when I saw the umbrella.  I see it as the quintessential item characterizing "Britishness"!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

June 5, 2012 7:13 pm  #15

Hey Sherli, if you can't relate to Christmas dinner, try Thanksgiving instead. Getting the picture now?     

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

June 17, 2012 9:16 pm  #16

Some more questions about Mycroft's drama.  About the CCTV cameras he manipulates during his conversation with John in the phone booth:

a) Is there some central location from which they are all controlled?  Which ministry is in charge of them?
b) In real life, would there be so many cameras so near each other?  Is that common throughout the city or just in heavily trafficked areas?  I read somewhere a figure for how many cameras there actually are, and I was stunned by the number, but I can't remember what it is now.
c) Those of you who live in London, or wherever else they exist, doesn't it weird you out to know you're under the constant scrutiny of security cameras?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

June 17, 2012 9:44 pm  #17

There are lots and lots of CCTV cameras around London. It is said that while moving around you will be captured by cameras at least 40 times per hour. To tell the truth, I don't find this anything dreadful in itself - when I'm in London this makes me feel safe, especially as I would walk around on my own at any time of the day or night.
Here's a photo I took the other day:

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 18, 2012 2:51 am  #18

London has 1 million CCTV cameras installed for digital observation.
The UK altogether has 4 million installed.
These were all installed by the UK Police, that's who monitors them also.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 18, 2012 7:02 pm  #19

Unfortunately, I only started watching the series after reading quite a lot about it, so I actually KNEW that Gatiss was Mycroft 
Not sure if I would have guessed it otherwise.

No, I didn't, I didn't realize he would be part of the series so early on.

Can we even start to imagine? Reminds me of a quote from one of my other favorite shows, "There is life out here...weird, psychotic life".

The umbrella immediately screamed "Avengers" for me. As for the Markov case, I was not born yet when it happened, but I remember my mother telling me that it was so famous people started referring to potentially dangerous objects as "Bulgarian umbrellas". Personally, I would not have made that connection. Nor do I find Mycroft or Gatiss sexy (luckily, there's enough sex appeal in the show without him).

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"There is no such word as 'impossible' in my dictionary. In fact, everything between 'herring' and 'marmalade' seems to be missing." Dirk Gently

Finally, I have made it to Cipher Expert :-))))) (8.8.2012)

September 11, 2012 8:40 pm  #20

The scene with Mycroft & John in the basement is my all time most favourite scene - not just in this episode, but in the whole series

I watched the episodes out of order (HOUND, Scandal, Study in Pink, etc...) so I already knew that the mystery man was Mycroft - but even coming into the scene the wrong way around, I could see that they were trying to make him look like Moriarty.

This is a scene where Martin really gets to shine as John. Most of the time, Sherlock takes centre stage & John is added as an after thought but here, all eyes are on him & he holds himself beautifully. Him & Lestrade are very well acted but under appreciated due to the nature of the characters.

Board footera