BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 12, 2012 10:41 pm  #21

Re: Atonement

SusiGo wrote:

Maggie, check out the short film "Inseparable", that's a good one as well.

Thanks, I did, Susi. HEAVY! Then i click a related link "starter for 10". so funny.;)

October 13, 2012 7:36 am  #22

Sam wrote:

It's so cringe-worthy!. I still have no idea how Moftiss thought "Sherlock" when seeing Ben's performance in this. Good acting, but I see no sign of a good Sherlock! Blech.

Totally agreed!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look at those cheekbones, I could cut myself slapping that face… would you like me to try?

October 13, 2012 9:58 am  #23

I don't imagine they were looking for "Sherlock" in his Atonement performance. They were looking for someone who could pull off Sherlock. Make a character that was highly unlikeable, likeable. Hold the screen. And have the angular looks that the Strand sketches gave him.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

June 27, 2013 11:10 am  #24

Atonement on ZDFneo on friday, 12 July  20:15

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

June 27, 2013 11:12 am  #25

I'm not sure I should watch it. I've read the book and hated it, and I've seen the film (thank you, little sister) and hated it - before Sherlock, of course. I found both versions of it heartbreaking and boring and overly dramatic at the same time.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

June 27, 2013 11:20 am  #26

You hated it? Wow, that's even more interesting then. I mean, if it was just boring............. 

As long as I don't have to buy it before I've seen it - and if there's nothing else to do that evening I will give it a try.

Last edited by Mattlocked (June 27, 2013 11:20 am)

June 27, 2013 4:14 pm  #27

Re-watched Benedict's scenes in a youtube vid the other night and could hardly watch. His character is just awful, I mean he's a low-life predator who gets away with rape and ends up then marrying the girl. It is hugely hard to believe it's the same man who plays Sherlock *shudder*. Yep, not sure what Mofftis saw when they watched Atonement but thank goodness they did!!!!

"He will outlive God trying to have the last word."

June 27, 2013 4:46 pm  #28

But he played the role brilliantly.
What a talent.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 27, 2013 5:14 pm  #29

So I should not watch it just because the character is weird/mean/awful?? 

June 27, 2013 5:17 pm  #30

It's a good film and all actors give excellent performances.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 27, 2013 6:44 pm  #31

besleybean wrote:

But he played the role brilliantly.
What a talent.

Totally. Still, so hard to watch him in that role. He is too damn talented...

"He will outlive God trying to have the last word."

June 28, 2013 1:05 am  #32

Bah. I have neither tv nor internet.
I wonder if the library has a copy.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beware of dragons for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup

Dr. Horribles sing along blog
You people all have to learn
This world is going to burn
Burn
(yeah, it’s two r’s. H, O, R, R, yeah right.)
Burn

June 28, 2013 6:09 am  #33

If not, they may order it for you.

June 28, 2013 8:22 am  #34

At least Ben's role in Atonement was the one that made Moftiss think of him as Sherlock, right?
An important reason to give it a try.

Last edited by Mattlocked (June 28, 2013 8:23 am)

June 28, 2013 2:34 pm  #35

I need to go to the library today....my phone is nice, but not perfect for all the work I need to do online.   I'll have them try to get it for me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Burn
Burn

June 28, 2013 7:01 pm  #36

Score!  I've got Atonement - now I have to get them to order full metal alchemist.  (no internet = no netflix and I've got to keep up with Eslin to be able to correct her fanfics).

Burn
Burn

June 29, 2013 8:50 pm  #37

Not so sure I'm going to like Atonement.  Benedict is creepy, but I'm finding it hard to get into.  Started it last night, can't pick it up again until Monday.

Burn
Burn

June 30, 2013 7:02 am  #38

I loved the film and thought all the performances excellent.
Plus there's definitely something wrong with me, cos I don't find Benedict creepy at all!

June 30, 2013 11:16 am  #39

I first read the book and it left my somehow unsatisfied. It's difficult to put a finger on it but it seemed very construed, as if it was trying too hard. I forgot about this feeling but when watching the film I had the same impression. The film is quite true to the book so I think I'm just not totally happy with the literary source. That's of course my personal opinion. I liked the acting and the careful reconstruction of the settings so I think for me it must be the story that lacks something to get me really excited.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 8, 2014 8:17 am  #40

Board footera