BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 27, 2012 12:44 pm  #1

Atonement

Benedict appears in the film Atonement. This is being aired on ITV3 on Wednesday 30th May at 10.30pm and again on Friday 1st June at 11.05pm. (UK)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 27, 2012 1:48 pm  #2

Re: Atonement

Oh god, this movie...
I mean, it's a very good movie.
But Benedict plays the weirdest guy in it... so creepy.

May 27, 2012 2:09 pm  #3

It is also a fantastic book. If you haven't read it I can recommend it wholeheartedly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 29, 2012 12:14 am  #4

Oh, no I haven't but thanks for the recommendation!

We had this film on DVD for like forever and I never watched it (even though I watched every single DVD we own) because from the cover it just looked so very cheesy and boring!
Finally I only watched it because of Benedict and damn, how wrong I was about the movie! Yeah, I know, don't judge by the cover and stuff..
But really I wouldn't recommend watching it only because of Benedict because.. *shudders* creepy!

Btw.: James McAvoy! ♥

May 30, 2012 8:57 pm  #5

Just a quick reminder that Atonement is on ITV3 tonight at 10.30 p.m. BST.

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

August 15, 2012 4:03 pm  #6

I watched this movie today. Amazing. Liked it a lot. Benedict played his part well as that 'creepy' guy. But what I don't understand is that why Steven Moffat said in an interview that he and Mark decided that 'Sherlock' should be played by Benedict Cumberbatch ONLY after they saw his performance in Atonement?
Honestly speaking, I didn't find any similarities between the two characters. Paul Marshall looks mature n shady while our Sherlock is boyish, funny and eccentric... After I watched Atonement, I looked at Benedict's Sherlock photos again.. and I was just not able to believe that these two characters are played by the same actor.. Such is his brilliance ..

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look at those cheekbones, I could cut myself slapping that face… would you like me to try?

August 15, 2012 4:15 pm  #7

I think, Benedict follows the description of Sherlock Holmes in the canon stories. It's less a question of his character than of his appearance.

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

August 15, 2012 6:45 pm  #8

Sorry to disagree, but I saw this movie and thought it would never end. For some reason it didn't click with me. I don't remember Benedict in it at all. I do remember that the actress who played Vanessa Redgrave's character as a girl was quite good. I have heard that the book is good, too. But I'm sure there are movies I like that you don't.

August 15, 2012 9:20 pm  #9

The book is excellent but very excruciating/traumatic.

August 26, 2012 11:35 pm  #10

Just watched Atonement last night.  I liked it, am glad I saw it, but can't say I loved it.  I didn't recognize BC at first--usually I can by his voice but here, it sounded different.  Only after I was sure it was him could I see some relation to Sherlock.  His character was, as someone earlier said, creepy, to say the least.  The movie itself was...well, I liked the first half a lot better than the second half.  The whole section on the beach in France just didn't do anything for me.  But after that, it picked up.  I will say that I was surprised at the ending, since I haven't read the book.  But the bottom line is I'm glad I saw the movie.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

August 27, 2012 6:58 am  #11

I read the book some years ago and remembered that I liked it quite well, but I wasn't really fascinated by it. The same goes for the film. The actors are good, the sets and costumes look very good, but somehow the story left me cold. For me the parts somehow don't fit together, they seem to stand apart from each other. But I'm glad that I have seen it because I knew that it was this film that made Moftiss choose Benedict as their one and only Sherlock candidate. I'm very impressed that from this performance they were able to deduce that he would make such a brilliant Sherlock. They must have an unerring eye for actors. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 17, 2012 7:41 pm  #12

Atonement currently on German TV ARTE. Just so you know...

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

September 17, 2012 8:01 pm  #13

ARTE, now that's no surprise . Would also be the right channel to present films like Hawking or To The Ends of the Earth to a German audience.

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 17, 2012 8:02 pm  #14

...and Parade's End, of course!

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

September 17, 2012 8:04 pm  #15

Of course, how could I forget this? 

September 18, 2012 4:59 pm  #16

I'm renting the movie atonement  Netflix finally has it.   I  had heard that this movie was the one that Moffat and Sue had seen,   and they decided Ben was Perfect for Sherlock.  The rest is history.   So--  I'm  anxious to see this movie.  I  just hope it's not too creepy for me.  BUT  if I can stand dr who and harry Potter,  I'm sure I can manage this one.   Byeeee!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

September 18, 2012 5:37 pm  #17

It isn't really creepy as such but it is disturbing.

September 28, 2012 4:30 am  #18

Skin-crawling. I threw up a little in my mouth. Did not recognize actor from that character to Sherlock (Oh! Wasn't he ...?). Since saw Wreckers, TTSS, parade's end and some stage stuff. He's disgustingly gifted. 

Last edited by MaggieM (November 24, 2012 7:40 pm)

September 28, 2012 6:28 am  #19

Maggie, check out the short film "Inseparable", that's a good one as well.

September 28, 2012 7:15 pm  #20

It's so cringe-worthy!. I still have no idea how Moftiss thought "Sherlock" when seeing Ben's performance in this. Good acting, but I see no sign of a good Sherlock! Blech.

----------------------------------------------------------------
SH: "Brilliant, Anderson."
Anderson: "Really?"
SH: "Yes. Brilliant impression of an idiot."

Board footera