BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 18, 2012 1:12 pm  #61

Re: Technical Help and Questions

Ok, I'm trying..yes I hear you say. But I have posted two links on TGG topic with the thread title of Jim'll Fix It. I have tried to put the brackets and things round it etc. but now it is not coming up in blue looking like a link at all. Help! What AM I doing wrong?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 18, 2012 1:16 pm  #62

I'll fix one for you & then you can edit the other one ok?

Although the first one doesn't work anyway.
Find it again. I'm not sure what you are doing when you copy the address, sometimes they don't work.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 21, 2012 9:00 pm  #63

well  chrome is working better for me.   I  think I'll use that for when I come in here.   yep.   I  hope davina and Kazza got their thing worked out.   toodles!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 22, 2012 12:50 am  #64

I'm thinking that the added Facebook like buttons and such have added scripts which aren't fully closed.

I've had quite a bit of lag on this site alone over the past week and don't quite have the time to look into what it is causing it due to other distractions.

If perhaps anything which has been added within this past week could be removed for 24 hours I will give a brief overview of what it is once they've been reapplied.

If anyone else is noticing this 'lag' mentioning it here would be helpful to diagnose this problem quickly.

-m0r

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

June 22, 2012 3:05 am  #65

sherlockskitty wrote:

well  chrome is working better for me.   I  think I'll use that for when I come in here.   yep.   I  hope davina and Kazza got their thing worked out.   toodles!!

You will soon see how much better Chrome is for almost everything compared to IE. And it uses way less memory so things will naturally run faster & better.
Take note of the malware warning I gave earlier also, Google " Malware removal" and have a read of a few free programs available to you. And if you can't decide which one, come back & give us a few names & we may be able to offer advice there too.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 22, 2012 3:19 am  #66

ok  thanks kazza!!   your gif of Sherlock taking off his scarf sure is making my day better.

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 22, 2012 3:26 am  #67

m0r1arty wrote:

I'm thinking that the added Facebook like buttons and such have added scripts which aren't fully closed.

I've had quite a bit of lag on this site alone over the past week and don't quite have the time to look into what it is causing it due to other distractions.

If perhaps anything which has been added within this past week could be removed for 24 hours I will give a brief overview of what it is once they've been reapplied.

If anyone else is noticing this 'lag' mentioning it here would be helpful to diagnose this problem quickly.

-m0r

I see the FB  like and send buttons there--  I  did press the like button,  and then everything went kerplunket. for a few minutes.   And I'm STILL seeing the words LIKE  and SEND  up there.   So  WHY are they there?   This is the first board I've seen,  with those buttons.   Proboards  has FB  buttons too,  but  I  ONLY  see them when I log in over there.  (It's a harry potter fan board)   And the only  thing that I know was added this week  or last week,  is the  new black background.  Is that what you mean?  Yeah  there HAS been some jerking writing  here and scrolling has been jerky  too.  But I added Chrome and things got better.

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 23, 2012 9:25 pm  #68

I have a question.  When we choose our avatar, how will we know if it's not already being used?  I've only seen the avatars of people whose posts I've read.  Or, is it OK if we accidently use an avatar that someone else is using?  It would be great if, when we upload the image we've chosen, we could get a message saying that we can't use it as someone else is already using it or would that be too difficult?

June 23, 2012 9:35 pm  #69

Y'know, I still have whatever automatically appeared when I registered. I should probably change it. I assume it's self-explanatory?

Last edited by veecee (June 24, 2012 4:16 am)

June 24, 2012 12:17 am  #70

You can use any avatar you like, just go to your profile & add an address when you find which one you like.
If you have trouble, send me a message & I can help or send me the address & I can do it for you.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 24, 2012 4:16 am  #71

I just picked one for now. I hope now one else is using it. If so, just let me know and I'll take it off. I'll have to think about something custom. Thanks.

June 24, 2012 4:48 pm  #72

Veecee  there's only  one way  I  know of to see what others are using for their avatars,  but perhaps I shouldn't post my suggestion here,  eh?  I've been all over the place here,  and I know that no one is using the moon.   and I get it--  you're over the moon about our Sherlock, right?  Not very many ppl are using John as a single avi--  mostly  he's with that other guy....what's his name?

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 24, 2012 5:33 pm  #73

Tall guy? Dark hair? It's on the tip of my tongue.
(I know someone will make a rude joke out of that last bit.

Anyway, I like your interpretation.

June 24, 2012 9:17 pm  #74

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 24, 2012 10:26 pm  #75

I got rid of the Facebook buttons...don't think we really need them anyway and if they were causing any problems might as well get rid.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 25, 2012 3:06 am  #76

I still have sticky problems.

I have time this week to look into them though this week.

I'll get back to you tomorrow.

-m0r

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

June 25, 2012 8:03 am  #77

Can anyone answer this for me? When I click on the latest post (at the right hand side of the thread) sometimes it takes me to that latest post and sometimes it just takes me to the start of the thread and I have to get onto the right page. Why is this?

I am also still getting problems, sometimes loading the pages. They stick and what I usually do is go back one and try again and often that seems to work.

June 26, 2012 12:16 am  #78

Davina wrote:

Can anyone answer this for me? When I click on the latest post (at the right hand side of the thread) sometimes it takes me to that latest post and sometimes it just takes me to the start of the thread and I have to get onto the right page. Why is this?

Davina--  I think I can answer your question partly,  since I just did an experiment.  When it takes you to the start of the thread, that usually means that there is only  ONE PAGE  of that thread/topic,  so it won't take you to the latest post.   When the topic has 2 or more pages,  THEN  it'll take you to the latest post.  This  only works IF  you open the forum section to get to the individual thread.  It won't work when you're on the Index page,  even if that thread you're clicking on,  has more than 2 pages.  I don't know why. 

A thought just occurred.   On some boards ,  they have a setting called "newest/last" post first.  so,  when you're on the index page,  then the topic you open, WILL take you to the most recent post in that topic. 

Google chrome broswer  works  on this site alot better than firefox,  netscape, and IE. So far,  they haven't sent me a bill.   On  those  browsers,  there are too many background programs running on your task manager thingie.  I  suggest getting some Professional help.  Even I don't know which programs are safe to take off or to keep on.   I  had to pay 120  dollars  one time,  just so my PC geek could fix this prob for me.   NOW  it's happening again,  but I got Chrome instead.   I  still have IE  8  on my  PC....and no,  it's not interferring with IE  yet.   I  haven't introduced them properly,  maybe that is why?  LOL

Last edited by sherlockskitty (June 26, 2012 12:30 am)

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 26, 2012 12:56 am  #79

There are plenty of free programs available that can check what's going on with your computer.
However I don't think Davina's query has anything to do with having to get a tech in.

Not sure exactly what you are doing Davina, maybe a little off centre with your clicking?

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 28, 2012 4:55 pm  #80

I  have a question---  How would I get more than one quote into my post?  I  have seen others do it here but I am not sure how they did it.   thanks!!

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

Board footera