BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 13, 2012 7:44 pm  #21

Re: How long have you been a fan?

Not for long. Still not sure if I would call myself a fan, but I sure am enthusiastically waiting for the 3rd season and I'm reading some Sherlock short stories at the moment. I started watching the show a month ago and was so taken by it that I had to watch all episodes in a row. The show just sucked me in. I hope this series goes on for many more seasons and that the quality will stay this high until the very end.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

June 19, 2012 7:22 pm  #22

Dramagod wrote:

Not for long. Still not sure if I would call myself a fan, but I sure am enthusiastically waiting for the 3rd season and I'm reading some Sherlock short stories at the moment. I started watching the show a month ago and was so taken by it that I had to watch all episodes in a row. The show just sucked me in. I hope this series goes on for many more seasons and that the quality will stay this high until the very end.

Maybe you should check the definition of fan. I'm pretty sure you are one.

June 19, 2012 7:27 pm  #23

Been a fan for close to 40 years.  Started with ACD books, then Basil Rathbone movies, then moved on for a few years (decades?).  Came back a couple of years ago with reruns of the Granada series with Jeremy Brett.  Absolutely love what they have done with Sherlock!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was worth a wound–it was worth many wounds–to know the depth of loyalty and love which lay behind that cold mask. The clear, hard eyes were dimmed for a moment, and the firm lips were shaking. For the one and only time I caught a glimpse of a great heart as well as of a great brain. All my years of humble but single-minded service culminated in that moment of revelation.

June 19, 2012 7:37 pm  #24

@veecee - Well if you say I'm a fan I can live with that. I do know within a week I've ordered the season 1 DVD and a novel collection that includes 37 Sherlock novels. And I keep coming back here reading new posts. And I saw my first Rathbone movie yesterday (Hound of the Baskervilles). And when I get money I'll probably get the DVD collection that has all the Brett Sherlock episodes (over 2000 minutes) as it's only 25 pounds at amazon.co.uk.

@Fetch and catch - I started with ABC books, ha.

Last edited by Dramagod (June 19, 2012 7:39 pm)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 19, 2012 7:52 pm  #25

I read all the books (in German) about 30 years ago. Then there was a long pause until I watched the RDJ films and, of course, Sherlock. Then I read some pastiches by Lyndsey Faye, Anthony Horowitz and Nicholas Meyer. Strangely enough, last summer series 1 was shown on German television and I quite liked it, but I really got hooked only at the beginning of May when I watched series 1 in English on DVD and immediately afterwards series 2 on television. Now I am hopelessly Sherlocked   .

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 19, 2012 7:53 pm  #26

SusiGo, are TV shows and movies dubbed to german there? Or do the foreign TV programs only have subtitles?

June 19, 2012 8:14 pm  #27

To my regret they are dubbed. I once heard that people in countries like the Netherlands and Scandinavia ofter speak English better because they watch all foreign programmes with subtitles. Might be a certain truth in this. In Germany the dubbing is done very professionally but the fact remains that you miss out on many puns (Here to see the queen? ), subtleties etc. and that actors who look totally different speak with the same voice. For example Martin Sheen, Robert de Niro and Warren Beatty are dubbed by the same actor. Everything is done by professional actors but, after all, it is not the real thing. Benedict's voice is not bad but higher than his own and not so euphonious (I just looked that up  ).

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 19, 2012 8:19 pm  #28

I must say I would be so bummed if they dubbed programs and movies here in Finland. But thankfully they only dub children's cartoon which is understandable. Still if I were to watch some Disney cartoons on DVD, I always watch them with the original english soundtrack. Can't speak on others' behalf but I know a big part of my english knowledge is to watching movies and TV shows. There was this italian kid living with us for a couple of weeks years ago and he said they dub movies in Italy also. I think he said he'd never heard the real voice of Arnold Schwarzenegger and I think that's really sad. Because I think big part of acting is their voice and how they punctuate words and so on. I can't imagine watching Sherlock with Cumberbatch's voice dubbed. Eugh. But you do have the option on DVD's to watch them with the original soundtrack, right?

PS. I'm listening to Lisa Bassenge cover Tom Waits' "Ol '55" and this sounds so beautiful. Are you familiar with her music?

Last edited by Dramagod (June 19, 2012 8:26 pm)

June 19, 2012 8:37 pm  #29

Dramagod wrote:

@veecee - Well if you say I'm a fan I can live with that. I do know within a week I've ordered the season 1 DVD and a novel collection that includes 37 Sherlock novels. And I keep coming back here reading new posts. And I saw my first Rathbone movie yesterday (Hound of the Baskervilles). And when I get money I'll probably get the DVD collection that has all the Brett Sherlock episodes (over 2000 minutes) as it's only 25 pounds at amazon.co.uk.

I think we've established your fan-ness.

June 19, 2012 8:38 pm  #30

SusiGo wrote:

To my regret they are dubbed. I once heard that people in countries like the Netherlands and Scandinavia ofter speak English better because they watch all foreign programmes with subtitles. Might be a certain truth in this. In Germany the dubbing is done very professionally but the fact remains that you miss out on many puns (Here to see the queen? ), subtleties etc. and that actors who look totally different speak with the same voice. For example Martin Sheen, Robert de Niro and Warren Beatty are dubbed by the same actor. Everything is done by professional actors but, after all, it is not the real thing. Benedict's voice is not bad but higher than his own and not so euphonious (I just looked that up  ).

Nice lookup. And yes it is euphonious, and may I say seductive (goes with deductive)?

June 19, 2012 8:41 pm  #31

veecee wrote:

Dramagod wrote:

And yours. We registered here the same day and we have the same amount of posts.

June 19, 2012 9:05 pm  #32

@Dramagod: Yes, I love watching DVDs in English. When I'm not sure I just switch on the English subtitles. I've got both Sherlock series on DVD. You are right, in Italy they do it as well, it's really a shame. No, I'm not familiar with Lisa Bassenge but I'll have a look at Youtube.
@Veecee: Seductive - deductive, let's write a poem .

June 19, 2012 9:46 pm  #33

Dramagod wrote:

veecee wrote:

Dramagod wrote:

And yours. We registered here the same day and we have the same amount of posts.

I hadn't noticed. Cool.

June 19, 2012 9:47 pm  #34

SusiGo wrote:

@Dramagod: Yes, I love watching DVDs in English. When I'm not sure I just switch on the English subtitles. I've got both Sherlock series on DVD. You are right, in Italy they do it as well, it's really a shame. No, I'm not familiar with Lisa Bassenge but I'll have a look at Youtube.
@Veecee: Seductive - deductive, let's write a poem .

You're on!

June 19, 2012 10:11 pm  #35

Huh? Now it says veecee registered June 11th and I June 13th. I could swear an hour ago it showed both of us registered June 12th. And also we're now 40 posts apart. Is someone messing with me? Confess.

EDIT: After posting this I got 2 more posts. Am I in the Twilight Zone?

Last edited by Dramagod (June 19, 2012 10:12 pm)

June 19, 2012 10:33 pm  #36

I've been a fan since the first episode in Season 1 came out. Before that, I knew about Sherlock and had read a few books, but this series was what really got me into it c:
Thank you PBS for showing me Sherlock! xD

June 19, 2012 11:05 pm  #37

Dramagod wrote:

Huh? Now it says veecee registered June 11th and I June 13th. I could swear an hour ago it showed both of us registered June 12th. And also we're now 40 posts apart. Is someone messing with me? Confess.

EDIT: After posting this I got 2 more posts. Am I in the Twilight Zone?

Twilight Zone or time zone? Could it be a time zone issue? No, that would only account for one day's difference. I really don't remember what day I registered. It's all a blur since then. We need Sherlock.

Last edited by veecee (June 19, 2012 11:07 pm)

June 19, 2012 11:06 pm  #38

Silent.Ecstasy wrote:

I've been a fan since the first episode in Season 1 came out. Before that, I knew about Sherlock and had read a few books, but this series was what really got me into it c:

Yes, PBS is great. But what does xD mean?

June 20, 2012 12:04 am  #39

veecee wrote:

Silent.Ecstasy wrote:

xD equals:

June 20, 2012 12:33 am  #40

Dramagod wrote:

veecee wrote:

Silent.Ecstasy wrote:

xD equals:

Yikes! Thanks.

Board footera