BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 16, 2012 11:51 pm  #1

How long have you been a fan?

Have you read the original books or seen any of the old movies/TV series, or are you a new Sherlockian convert?

Personally, I was really into Sherlock when I was about 12 or 13. I read most of the stories, went to the museum in London, had deer stalker (ear hat) and generally was a bit of a geek about it trying to make observations about people and investigate things all the time. Then I got into something else and moved on but I've always had a soft spot for Sherlock and when the new series came on it rekindled all my old obsessions, lol!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

February 20, 2012 12:07 am  #2

Re: How long have you been a fan?

I've only been a fan for a little bit, say, since end of december/beginning of january i think... ( Been hooked ever since. mum can't get me to shut up about Sherlock...neither can my friends. ) I haven't read the books yet, but i'm going to read them while i'm waiting for season 3. : )

Last edited by ProudSherlockian121 (February 20, 2012 2:59 am)

[Sherlock buzzes Van Coon's neighbor]
Eddie's Neighbour: Hello?
Sherlock Holmes: Hi, um, I live in the flat just below you. I don't think we've met!
Eddie's Neighbour: No, well, er, I just moved in.
Sherlock Holmes: [grimaces] Actually, I just locked my keys in my flat!
Eddie's Neighbour: You want me to buzz you in?
Sherlock Holmes: Yeah, and can I use your balcony?
Eddie's Neighbour: What?
[Cuts to Sherlock jumping off of her balcony onto the one below it]

Lestrade: And exactly how many times did he fall out a window?
Sherlock Holmes: Oh, it's all a bit of a blur, detective. I lost count.

I have two awesome signatures. : D

February 20, 2012 1:26 am  #3

Yeah, it's gonna be a long wait, lol!

Btw, I love your signature...Sherlock's fake friendliness in that scene always makes me laugh...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 20, 2012 2:46 am  #4

I read the books as a child, watched all the movies.
Read the books again when I started a family, watched some more movies.
Last few decades I must confess I would watch a movie if it came on TV but no reading or searching movies out.
And now I am reading all the books again, watching all the movies again and of course studying the TV series in intricate detail many times over, backward/forward/upside down if I thought it would help, studying the 'Moftiss methods' and shamelessly ogling a certain 'horse faced & arse named' actor at any conceivable moment. (which I cannot help as I am putty at the sight of blue eyes)

Yeah so I guess I have a passing interest.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

February 27, 2012 6:39 pm  #5

When I was at school I used to get all my friends to act out Sherlock stories with me. I was Sherlock (duh) and then handed out the other parts to my friends - I had a Watson, Mrs Hudson, Moriarty, Lestrade and Mycroft. We'd use different classrooms as locations - so one classroom was 221B, another was the police station and then we'd have all kinds of crime scenes. Mycroft doesn't really do much in the books so we had to make up stories for him - like we had one where Moriarty kidnapped him, and we had to rescue him. And then we had another where Mrs Hudson was kidnapped. There was generally a lot of kidnapping going on - just so all the characters could be involved at the same time. It was lots of fun though. My friends were kind of unwilling participants at first but once I got them into the roleplaying they started to relax and enjoy it. Sometimes we'd make up stories about the teachers too!

June 7, 2012 11:37 pm  #6

40 freekin' years. Dear dog, where has the time gone... 

June 8, 2012 10:20 am  #7

Less than 2 months
only became a fan because of the series and 6 months ago when we had a library quiz I thought that Sherlock Holmes's asstant was little John and had no idea that Hound of the Baskervilles's was in any way relevant! I feel kind of ashamed to say it now!! 

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

June 8, 2012 12:26 pm  #8

Oh Molly! Shortly to receive our most improved member award!

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 8, 2012 2:47 pm  #9

About 30 years ago (yes, I am that old) I read all the novels and stories in German translation. Then I did not care so much for SH for a long time until I watched the Downey/Law films. Last year I discovered "Sherlock" on German TV and liked it but I really got hooked when I bought the DVD of the first series and finally could enjoy the English original. I was instantly addicted  .

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 8, 2012 2:53 pm  #10

Same with me here, Susi - as soon as I had opened this Pandora's DVD box I completely fell over...
And haven't risen yet.

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 8, 2012 4:25 pm  #11

I suppose they did their best with the dubbing, but it is never the real thing. And it is confusing when three totally different looking actors have the same voice.
Hm, must try to get myself up from the floor

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 8, 2012 4:36 pm  #12

Ah! Also remember Pandora"s box always contained Hope.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 8, 2012 4:51 pm  #13

Hope for a completely Fab series 3!!! 

Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 

June 8, 2012 6:58 pm  #14

Molly Hooper wrote:

...6 months ago when we had a library quiz I thought that Sherlock Holmes's asstant was little John...

What must it be like in your tiny little brains... 

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

June 8, 2012 7:17 pm  #15

I'll have you know that my brain is the PERFECT size for my head! 

June 10, 2012 9:52 am  #16

My brother has all the books (he is 8 years older than me) and when he was a teenager, he was always reading, so when I was around 11-12 years old (now I'm almost 28), I took one of his books and discovered Sherlock Holmes. Then I wanted to be like him and, as Sherlock_Holmes said in his post, I spent the days investigating things too . Now after Sherlock series, I am obsessed again, and in fact I am flying to London next month to visit all the locations 

June 10, 2012 10:35 am  #17

Awesome! What dates are you coming to London? You should check if there's a Sherlock meet up happening whilst you're over here. They occur on a fairly regular basis, especially in London.

June 10, 2012 10:44 am  #18

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Awesome! What dates are you coming to London? You should check if there's a Sherlock meet up happening whilst you're over here. They occur on a fairly regular basis, especially in London.

Oh cool! i'm going only for a weekend: 13-14-15 July

June 10, 2012 10:51 am  #19

Wow, you're in luck!

June 10, 2012 11:34 am  #20

Wow yes, I'm in luck! Unfortunately I will arrive around 2 pm but I have booked an hotel in North Gower Street, so probably I will see a group of Sherlockians during the day in several locations

Board footera