BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 16, 2012 11:48 pm  #1

Sherlock's Apologies

Sherlock is BAD at apologising, even though he's always upsetting people!

Some of his apologies are pretty good though - like "I don't have friends, only one". Can you think of any more good ones?

And also, what is the only time he's ever said the word "sorry"?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

February 27, 2012 6:42 pm  #2

Re: Sherlock's Apologies

I thought of a good one today whilst watching Hounds again...

After his big outburst in the pub and John walks out, Sherlock later "apologises" to John by making him a cup of tea. John feels obliged to drink it even though it has sugar in because he thinks Sherlock is apologising when actually he's just testing out his theory that the hallucinogens are in the sugar! It's kind of a good example of Sherlock using his knowledge of the human psyche to get what he wants - he knows John will drink the tea because he wants to accept Sherlock's apology.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 27, 2012 6:48 pm  #3

The only time I remember Sherlock to say "sorry" is in 221B in the Christmas scene when he apologizes to Molly: "I am sorry - forgive me."

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

February 27, 2012 7:03 pm  #4

oh - i've to correct myself: He says "sorry about dinner!" to Irene. Which makes two "sorrys". Hmm, there may be more...I'm still thinking...

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

February 27, 2012 7:11 pm  #5

Yeah, the one where he apologises to Molly was the one I was thinking of - saying sorry is hard for Sherlock!

February 27, 2012 8:21 pm  #6

Yes he certainly finds it hard to say the word. The way he uses 'sorry' is different for Molly than for Irene Adler.  When he says sorry to Molly he means it genuinely because he suddenly realises that he has genuinely hurt her feelings when she has done nothing to deserve being treated badly. He was warned by John and Lestrade to 'take a day off' and ' have a drink and shut up' but he continues with his callous deductions about her appearance and the present she has taken such care in wrapping. He has already callously told Lestrade that his wife is having an affair-hardly a kindly comment at Xmas! John's face though out this scene is one of mild horror at Sherlock's behaviour.

In comparison, when he says 'sorry about dinner' to Irene Adler he shows no remorse for his actions. He is fully aware that she has used him to achieve her aim. This sorry is his getting the last word. Remember that John tells Irene that he is a master of the one-liner and that he will outlive god trying to get the last word. Of course he is not really referring to dinner, anymore than Irene meant having dinner when they have the scene together in the flat.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 27, 2012 9:29 pm  #7

Yes, the "sorry" he gave to Molly I feel is a genuine apology!

Also, I love the way he apologises to John in Hounds - "I don't have friends. I've just got one." That's pretty genuine without actually saying the word "sorry."

February 28, 2012 2:02 am  #8

Davina wrote:

.... He was warned by John and Lestrade to 'take a day off' and ' have a drink and shut up' but he continues with his callous deductions about her appearance and the present she has taken such care in wrapping. He has already callously told Lestrade that his wife is having an affair-hardly a kindly comment at Xmas! John's face though out this scene is one of mild horror at Sherlock's behaviour.

They are not callous deductions, or things said callously. They are just straight deductions with no quality of thoughtfulness/emotion/caring. They are clinical sentences, pure sentences devoid of any feeling; it's not that Sherlock means to be nasty. Nor is it that he ever considers what he says will be taken that way.
They are just words.

In the same light, "Sorry" is just a word. It's not that he cannot say sorry because of any ego trip or anything, but what is the point of wasting time saying a word that will magically make everything better again?

Sorry, I've been watching a lot of Sherlock lately. The mind is in "Sherlock' mode. Sentiment is a defect.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

February 28, 2012 11:50 am  #9

True. To a normal person the comments would be callous, whereas Sherlock is a little weak on social norms- putting it mildly- so he little idea of the result of what he says for others; lacking in empathy. Except the scene with Molly is important in that he does realise the impact his words have had and genuinely apologises for them.
A he says in The Reichenbach Fall, Molly has always counted.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 28, 2012 1:50 pm  #10

Yes, he never purposely sets out to hurt anyone, and I think he's sometimes quite surprised when he does!

It's true that sorry is just a word...I think in general people use it too much when they don't really mean it, and expect everything to be "magically better" like you said, but more often than not it takes a lot more than just one word to make the situation improve. In some ways, Sherlock understands that better than most "boring" people.

February 29, 2012 4:53 am  #11

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

It's true that sorry is just a word...I think in general people use it too much when they don't really mean it, and expect everything to be "magically better" like you said, but more often than not it takes a lot more than just one word to make the situation improve.

Now that's thinking more like Sherlock!

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

February 29, 2012 9:17 pm  #12

Thanks - I try my best!

March 2, 2012 10:37 am  #13

I love the look on John's face when Sherlock apologises to Molly - it's like "did he really just say that?".

March 7, 2012 6:45 pm  #14

I always wondered why he picked on Mollys gift..  is it in character to do one of his showy analysis just for the heck of it in public..

March 7, 2012 7:54 pm  #15

Yeah, he loves showing off. Like when he was in court in Reichenbach, he couldn't help himself.

March 8, 2012 4:57 am  #16

thegameison wrote:

I always wondered why he picked on Mollys gift..  is it in character to do one of his showy analysis just for the heck of it in public..

He noticed it was 'nicer' than the other presents.
And he was out of his comfort zone with all the 'nice' in the room. It's superfluous in his world.
Everyone else was making idle chit chat.
So all his 'observations' of the others was his attempt to bring things back to his level.
His discomfort could be seen in that little line many may have missed. *waves the bow around while saying 'everyone saying hello to each other...wonderful'. He turned back to the laptop, a bit more to 'his' liking no doubt.
So it wasn't so much to single Molly out as he'd already made all the others feel uncomfortable as it was.
The present however had a hint of mystery to it. All the other deductions were straightforward. But the recipient of the gift was not obvious to Sherlock so he went through his thought process out loud.
Unfortunately!

Last edited by kazza474 (March 8, 2012 4:59 am)

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

March 8, 2012 5:18 am  #17

Mycroft is better in making apologies than Sherlock.
Mycroft to Sherlock (on the plane), ruefully: "I drove you into her path.  I’m sorry. I didn’t know."
I wonder whether Sherlock takes him as a sort of role model for his own behaviour.

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

March 8, 2012 5:22 am  #18

Oh "sorry", this scene came after the Christmas one. Too early to write clever things. Must pour myself another cup of coffee...

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

March 8, 2012 5:30 am  #19

tobeornot221b wrote:

Mycroft is better in making apologies than Sherlock.
Mycroft to Sherlock (on the plane), ruefully: "I drove you into her path.  I’m sorry. I didn’t know."
I wonder whether Sherlock takes him as a sort of role model for his own behaviour.

I think in that scene, Mycroft's 'sorry I didn't know' was a mocking line.
He was saying
- 'sorry I didn't realise you would be affected by the opposite sex so much'
- 'sorry I didn't realise you could be affected emotionally'
- 'sorry I didn't realise you had flaws'.

Very much a huge effort to mock his little brother.

I doubt Sherlock looks to Mycroft as a role model.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

March 8, 2012 7:26 am  #20

There is probably a lot of irony in Mycroft's apology on the plane. Back in the scene in The Palace Sherlock is adamant that sex doesn't scare him when his brother mentions Irene Adler's occupation but Mycroft is sceptical due to Sherlock's complete absence of experience in this area- there I'm being tactful this morning aren't I? Later in the place Mycroft calmly rages at Sherlock about how Irene played a man like a book: lonely man, vulnerable woman, a man anxious to impress. Sherlock assumes he talking about the MOD man but Mycroft is talking about him.

I agree that the apology on the plane is, as you say made ruefully, as much because Mycroft realises he has miscalculated The Woman but also that he has underestimated his brother's susceptibility to her charms. Perhaps he thought Sherlock was invulnerable in this area although, to return to the scene in the palace this may not be entirely true.

Board footera