BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 25, 2012 3:49 pm  #1

Die Hunde von Baskerville, German TV, May 27th, 2012

"Die Hunde von Baskerville" is next to be aired on DAS ERSTE, Sunday, 9:45 p.m CEST.
The title already makes me suspect that there will be some confusion.

In German, there's no difference between "hound" and "dog" – at least not in common language.
There's of course a difference regarding to the substance of the matter – a "hound" is a dog used in hunting ("Jagdhund"). But I would never say "I'll walk my Jagdhund" (though it might be a Basset hound) – I'd always say "Hund"/dog.
So we Germans unfortunately can't actually tell the difference between a monstrous hound and an ordinary dog (which is kind of worth a second thought… ) - they are all called "Hunde".

So I wonder how the mind palace sequence will be done or the onscreen acrostic "H.O.U.N.D."…

Annoyingly btw, "Die Hunde…" will collide with the BAFTAs – which will get a
bit stressful for me I presume! But what for do I finally have two ears and two eyes?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

May 25, 2012 4:10 pm  #2

Re: Die Hunde von Baskerville, German TV, May 27th, 2012

In Spanish I think they just said something like "Hound is the English word for hound" (I mean, "Hound es sabueso en inglés") and that was all. But I'm not sure because I have always avoided the dubbed version, this is what I remember a friend telling me. We do have a real distinction between "dog" (perro) and "hound" (sabueso, perro de caza) but I don't know if they kept it on the translation.

By the way... are you planning to watch the BAFTAs? I think they're not streaming online... is any TV channel in Germany going to air them? Or can you watch BBC from there?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

May 25, 2012 4:23 pm  #3

No, no German TV channel will be airing the BAFTAs, but of course there's twitter:
twitter.com/#!/BAFTA

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

May 25, 2012 4:37 pm  #4

tobeornot221b wrote:

No, no German TV channel will be airing the BAFTAs, but of course there's twitter:
twitter.com/#!/BAFTA

Oh, yes, thank God for Twitter 

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

May 25, 2012 5:13 pm  #5

Oh the nuances of language!

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 28, 2012 8:06 am  #6

Yes, watching HUNDE and the BAFTAs simultaneously was indeed something that I felt overwhelmed with. So, after having rewatched the episode minutes ago here are my thoughts on it:

The vexed formal addressing (I can't but complain about it. Again. I know it's boooooring! ) gives me the impression of Sherlock's and John's friendship taking place under kind of lab conditions. Even the "ich habe keine Freunde, ich habe nur einen" doesn't feel genuine to me. Sentiment? Not at all.
"Sie" instead of "Du" is even more awkward in texting: "Interview her?" = "Befragen Sie sie?"

The voices:
All in all not fitting – maybe except Henry. Billy and Gary sound like news presenters, John like some 12-year-old when he's upset.

The script:
Quite ok again.
One incomprehensible translation – and interpretation - of Sherlock with the harpoon:
"Well – that was tedious!" = "War das ein Stress!" telling just the opposite of that quote.
Strange translation of "conductor of light" = "Lichtleiter". I may be wrong but there's no such a word in German – can't even imagine what it could mean.

Again some unnecessary swearing:
"A rabbit, John! = "Ein blödes Kaninchen!"
"…you, being all mysterious…" = "…verdammt geheimnisvoll…"

The HOUND problem:
Dubbing lets Henry talk of a "hound", not always – sometimes he says just "Hund".
Once "hound" being introduced,  the mind palace ("Gedächtnispalast") sequence works without many on screen changes. Well done!

Figures: 2,61 million viewers, 10,8 % market share. Depressing...!

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

May 28, 2012 10:06 am  #7

Oh goodness! How in Heanen's name can Sherlock only have one friend, and that friend be John, if they are STILL using formal address! It makes a mockery of the characterisation and, potentially, the plot!

Agreed with the use of 'ein Stress'. That is exactly the opposite of what Sherlock is complaining about, having to travel on the tube after harpooning the pig as no taxis would take him. He uses the word 'tedious' would not 'langweilig' have done as a translation?

The swearing is unnecessary and in the latter example does not even convey the same impression as John's words. He's being sarcastic to Sherlock about him turning up his coat collar and trying to look 'cool' etc. He is not swearing at him but he is mocking him.

Disappointing viewing figures.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 28, 2012 10:09 am  #8

Forget about the dreaded 'Lichtleiter'. Do you think they are heading towards a 'light'equivalent of 'Blitzableiter'- as in 'lightning conductor' in English? They have substituted 'Licht' for 'light' which is ok but then have just tacked 'Leiter' instead of 'Ableiter' on to it.

May 28, 2012 10:42 am  #9

Davina wrote:

Forget about the dreaded 'Lichtleiter'. Do you think they are heading towards a 'light'equivalent of 'Blitzableiter'- as in 'lightning conductor' in English? They have substituted 'Licht' for 'light' which is ok but then have just tacked 'Leiter' instead of 'Ableiter' on to it.

I don't know what was going on in their funny old heads, but for me a "conductor of light" as I understand him is someone who isn't light himself but works with lights in order to make the best out of, for instance, a stage programme - a gaffer.  In German: "Beleuchter". Maybe I got this wrong?

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

May 28, 2012 11:12 am  #10

I think in the original story Sherlock Holmes basically suggests that Watson may not be the brightest spark but that he helps illuminate matters even when he doesn't realise he is doing so. That he attracts the light and then shines it. The suggestion is that he attracts goodness and light in the metaphorical sense as opposed to dark being a representation of evil.

Both versions work really but one things for sure 'Lichtleiter' doesn't!

Board footera