BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 18, 2023 9:35 pm  #21

Re: Avengers: Endgame

I bought DVDs more (well, mostly got them as gifts) when I was a kid, so most of the DVDs I have are kids movies, but I also have some shows I enjoy as a teenager and adult. I've recently discovered that some shows I enjoyed streaming as a teenager are out of print on DVD, and I had to buy one of them on ebay when I wanted to start watching it again this year (the streaming service that I originally watched it on no longer has it in its catalogue). I sometimes get Blu-rays or DVDs from the library though. I like not streaming things sometimes.

I know I'm one of the younger remaining members here, but I actually don't have any interest in cars with gadgets! I have heard they are expensive when things go wrong, and I like listening to the radio. I don't have a lot of CDs but I like the ones I have. I don't think I could ever completely transition to streaming, even though I do use it. But I still like digital music to be able to mix songs from different albums together. My family has various Christmas CDs and for the past several years I've have them all on a big playlist on my iPod that I put on "shuffle" which is nice. I guess when I was starting to get interested in buying my own music, iTunes was the thing so I've stuck with it.

Clueing for looks.

July 20, 2023 10:11 am  #22

My car is eighteen years old, so not the latest gadgety model. I think my friends laugh at me! But cars are so expensive and why replace it if it works? The gadget I bought for I think might have been about ten or fifteen pounds?  You just plug into the cigarette lighter and then it makes the music from your phone play through your car radio. Amazing!  I only started using Spotify subscription service a few months ago, but have used it a lot. I've been going to see a lot of live music (I think Lord of the Lost from Eurovision are likely to take out an injunction if I turn up at any more of their concerts!) and so I have put the bands I'm seeing setlists on Spotify to get to know the songs before I go.

I also like being able to mix songs, like you. I lost my original Spotify ID, but used to have loads of lists for working out, feeling sad, musicals, etc. and have got quite a few on the go at the moment. It reminds me of the old mix tapes we used to do on cassette, but much easier!

Yes, I've had that issue with things I want to see no longer being on streaming, and me no longer having the DVD. So it definitely makes sense to keep them if it's something you know you're going to want later.

Hope the job is going well!

July 22, 2023 5:39 pm  #23

That does sound like a handy thing! Much simpler than having a car with a built-in computer.
I enjoy making playlists sometimes, but I sometimes find I get tired partway through. But I do enjoy it, like you said it's way easier than previous formats for doing so. 

As for work, this is  getting off-topic of the thread we are in, but I actually got laid off this week. Next week will be my last. The industry I'm in is going through a rough patch so they can't keep everyone on. I was gutted on Tuesday when they informed me. Still working on making peace with what's happening

Clueing for looks.

July 23, 2023 11:36 am  #24

Oh no, Yitzock! That's terrible news! I'm so sorry! Especially as the job seemed ideal. You're the second person I know this week that has had that news. Seems like a lot of industries are in a bad way at the moment, and so devastating for the people getting laid off. Hopefully you can go on to better things from here, but I understand it must be difficult at the moment. Even having to go through the process of applications again and everything so uncertain.  Fingers crossed for you that something good comes up soon.

July 24, 2023 1:38 am  #25

Thank you. I'm trying to do my best for my last days in the position so I leave on a good note. My supervisor really likes me, but the powers that be needed to let some of us go. I'm not looking forward to job hunting again, but I'm hoping I can find something good one of these days.

Clueing for looks.

July 26, 2023 5:10 pm  #26

I think it's often the case that the most recent employees go too, no matter how good. But really good that you are leaving on a good note. Best of luck with everything.

July 26, 2023 5:15 pm  #27

Last in...
first out.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 30, 2023 6:47 pm  #28

I guess... but there were actually a couple of waves of layoffs that I someone survived unscathed earlier this year, so I don't know exactly how they determine who to let go. I guess I was just lucky those previous times.

Clueing for looks.

Board footera