BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 24, 2019 5:31 pm  #1

Is there any use in keeping this forum up anymore?

Since BBC Sherlock has been canceled, I don't know if there's any use in keeping this Web site going anymore.  All we're ever going to have, from this time on, are fond memories of the TV series, and I don't know how long memories can sustain this forum.

What do you all think?

March 24, 2019 5:37 pm  #2

Re: Is there any use in keeping this forum up anymore?

Can't say I haven't thought of it, didn't really want to say it and actually it isn't my place to do so...
Dont know how this one works, but I know on previous forums, the admin had to pay(even a token) fee, so I'm wondering if the Boss has to do this...certainly my last forum just died, because of lack of use:  it was great for a little while, cos there were just a faithful few of us remaining who basically had the use of a free playground.
But eventually the plug got pulled, I assume actively by the lapsed admin or else through lack of use.
After all, that's how I ended up here!
I mean there are a few of us who still come and chat here and it isn't just about Sherlock.
But in the final analysis, I guess it's up to the staff. Having said that, nobody is forced to come here, after all. 

POINT OF ORDER:  BBC Sherlock has not officially been canceled.
There are currently no plans in the pipeline for future episodes, but they have not been ruled out all together.
The Escape Room has caused a bit of renewed interest.

Last edited by besleybean (March 24, 2019 5:39 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 24, 2019 7:34 pm  #3

I think it's up to the boss, but I'd be happy if it kept going!  For one thing, I think the discussion threads are a fun resource for people who have come to it late and want to read up.  For another thing, as BB says, it's not officially cancelled, so some of us are still holding out a little bit of hope that there might be more to see, in some format or other!   And I've enjoyed the threads with updates on the team, for instance Nakahara's recent site visit to the Moftiss Dracula set location!

The downside is that it's still attracting spam/phishing posts, sometimes more than "normal" posts!  But as long as one or two of us (moderators) are still logging in regularly, I think we are on top of it. 

I wonder if forums like these are maybe going out of fashion?  There seems to a move to other platforms, so even if there was a massive Sherlock revival, I'm not sure forums would get the traffic that they used to.  Personally, I like this format (maybe because I'm older!), so I'd rather it was still here!

Last edited by Liberty (March 24, 2019 7:35 pm)

March 24, 2019 7:40 pm  #4

I will still certainly always keep popping in...maybe even if Sherlock was officially cancelled, if only to get news/discussion on the actors/writers other projects...
I do belong to another forum too, which I thnk is U.S based...is it  a bit more active than this one, I'm not sure?
They seem quite a friendly group...
Think I've said before, I don't really like leaving things, I mean if I get kicked out or they die...that's a whole other thing!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 24, 2019 9:05 pm  #5

I agree, besley. I will keep popping in and posting things that might be of interest. And no, there has been no official cancellation. As long as there is not one I do not see any reason to close the forum. Provided the Boss is willing to keep it going. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 24, 2019 9:37 pm  #6

I still visit this forum on a regular basis and love to read old threads about BBC Sherlock as well as new topics about Benedicts other projects. I would certainly miss this place.

O, learn to read what silent love hath writ:
To hear with eyes belongs to love’s fine wit.
(Shakespeare, Sonnet 23) 

March 24, 2019 10:14 pm  #7

Only thing is, if it's going to be years, even decades, from now before a 5th season is ever produced, the series may as well be canceled.  The show won't be the same without Mrs. Hudson, and I know of no one who can portray the role on this show as well as Una Stubbs.  If Moffat and Gatiss wait too long, she will be a fond memory by the time they ever decide they're ready, and so will Benedict Cumberpatch's parents.  Ditto if Martin Freeman has decided that he doesn't want to play Dr. Watson anymore.

Consider this.  The Sherlockology Web site has been taken down.  The Science of Deduction Web site has suffered the same fate.  Dr. John Watson's blog is no longer being updated, and it's probably only a matter of time as of now until it, too, is taken off the Internet.  And there is no indication that a 5th season is going to be produced this year, or next year, either.  Or the year after that.  And all of the actors, as well as the producers, are too busy with other projects to have time to return to the show.  Those are all bad signs regarding the prospects of there ever being a 5th season for the BBC Sherlock show, sad to say.  So Moffat and Gatiss may as well go ahead and announce the series' permanent cancelation, I'm thinking.  There's not going to be any more seasons anyway.

Last edited by kgreen20 (March 24, 2019 10:24 pm)

March 25, 2019 6:47 am  #8

Okay so if we do get a new series, it does depend how long we have to wait.
But we haven't lost Una yet!
I think it would be possible to write out BC's parents, or at least one through natural wasteage!
Martin has not said he does not want to play Watson anymore: give him the right script, money and if he has the time- he'll do it.
I didn't know about Sherlockology and it is a shame.
But even from being on my last forum, I felt that some fans just moved on naturally to new projects.
Wasn't so familiar with The Science of Deduction.
The Blog won't be updated until there is a new seris and actually, maybe John doesn't write his blog anymore.
Oh no, personally I wouldn't even expect an announcement until next year and even then, that may be pushing it.
I think we should allow Mark and Steven to make their own artistic decisions.

Last edited by besleybean (March 25, 2019 6:47 am)

March 25, 2019 7:28 am  #9

Natural wastage .  I agree, it would be possible to write it without the older members of the cast.  But I think that even if we knew there were no more episodes, that's not necessarily a reason in itself to close the forum.  There will be no more stories written by ACD but people still want to discuss them! 

March 30, 2019 4:57 pm  #10

There will always be a Sherlock fandom in some form or other.  As long as it's not inconvenient for the Boss, keep the forum open!  

PS.  Our 221b Con here in Atlanta is still going strong.  This time next week that's where I'll be.  

Last edited by tonnaree (March 30, 2019 5:01 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

March 30, 2019 5:06 pm  #11

Everyone who does not want to read or write here anymore is free to do so. But it would be a shame to rob others who want to come back now and then of the opportunity of reading and posting. I will keep coming now and then, post news if there are any, and hope to see you all time and again. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 30, 2019 5:11 pm  #12

Well said.

March 30, 2019 5:21 pm  #13

After all, it's not like there are membership dues or anything!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

March 30, 2019 5:22 pm  #14

I know.  Aren't we lucky?!

March 31, 2019 2:39 pm  #15

As long is this site is here, I will be here.
Ironically, when I logged in today there were new posts in multiple topics!
And we still have Benedict, Martin, Steven and Mark's work to look forward to and discuss, as well as other cast members who we may hear about.

Clueing for looks.

March 31, 2019 3:15 pm  #16

I am seeing both Ian and Mark next month!

March 31, 2019 5:56 pm  #17

Oh, on which occasion? 

March 31, 2019 5:58 pm  #18

Mark part of the BFI festival, about Dracula, I think...
Ian in his new play Tumulus.
It's supposed to be both very gay but very dark...
I'm going with my old school pal and am not sure how she'll react!

March 31, 2019 6:40 pm  #19

I just looked up the play and it looks interesting! 

Last edited by Yitzock (April 1, 2019 1:44 pm)

Clueing for looks.

March 31, 2019 6:42 pm  #20

I am looking  forward to it and somewhere around there is a good interview of Ian talking about it.

Board footera