BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 23, 2012 7:23 pm  #1

Mark Gatiss as Mycroft

Who else loves his interpretation of Mycroft Holmes.
I think he is really great, I had my fun with the "Scandal in Belgravia", when he had his discussions with Benedict Cumberbatch. I fear that was the most I would see him for this season. But I will find out soon enough this weekend they send the Hound and Reichenbach Fall.

May 23, 2012 7:48 pm  #2

Re: Mark Gatiss as Mycroft

I love him as Mycroft!
He's doing great, very posh, very british...
I can totally picture him from the ACD stories although in the canon he is supposed to be quite corpulent. But it's much nicer that way anyway, isn't it? ;)
I'm also very interested in his character, in so many points he's very alike to Sherlock and then again so different. Would love to know what their childhood looked like.

I also love the fact that he's Mycroft and co-producer/writer of my two favourite TV shows, Doctor who and Sherlock, at the same time... that makes him a trillion times more awesome

May 23, 2012 8:56 pm  #3

Sammy wrote:

I can totally picture him from the ACD stories although in the canon he is supposed to be quite corpulent. But it's much nicer that way anyway, isn't it? ;)
I'm also very interested in his character, in so many points he's very alike to Sherlock and then again so different. Would love to know what their childhood looked like.

Yes in the canon Mycroft is corpulent, that is because he did not like Legwork ;) and he was evan more intelligent than Sherlock. I think he nearly never got out of his flat or the Diogenes Club.

For the childhood of these two, there is a reason for looking at people like that, I think it was a violent childhood. It is self-protection if you want to find out what people think or do next. And than they discovered that they can use it to earn money.

Or their parents did not function and they had to do all the stuff to survive and so they start to read the adults to get around. They also needed it to not stick out of the mass of people.

May 23, 2012 8:58 pm  #4

I love this interpretation of the character, regarding writing as well as acting. Mr Gatiss is superb, but the way the sripts have brought a new dimension to this character is great.

And don't worry, you'll see much more of him in the last two episodes, but I won't tell you anything

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

May 24, 2012 4:56 am  #5

Violet Hunter wrote:

Yes in the canon Mycroft is corpulent, that is because he did not like Legwork ;) and he was evan more intelligent than Sherlock. I think he nearly never got out of his flat or the Diogenes Club.

For the childhood of these two, there is a reason for looking at people like that, I think it was a violent childhood. It is self-protection if you want to find out what people think or do next. And than they discovered that they can use it to earn money.

Or their parents did not function and they had to do all the stuff to survive and so they start to read the adults to get around. They also needed it to not stick out of the mass of people.

Remember the BBC series is an updated adaptation of the original. Look at all the things that have been updates: writing a journal now becomes writing a blog. Sending a telegram now becomes sending a text, etc etc.
I've referenced these 'updating techniques' a few times but I am not sure people understand what I mean.
When we look at the BBC series, we should be looking at updates from the canon for the main part
* So, Mycroft was corpulent/chubby/overweight /etc in the original. How does that translate into modern day terms? Because these days it is very easy (if we choose) to understand weight & weight loss & keeping fit etc. So it is quite easy for Mycroft to be 'trim'.
So what could translate into modern terms from the original versions 'corpulent'?
Back in that time period, being 'corpulent' wasn't so much a 'bad' thing. It showed more that the person 'ate well & hearty'. He wasn't on the poverty line, was in good health, etc etc.
Which is how we see Mycroft today anyway. He's a 'well to do' type guy. No obvious signs of sickness, etc etc.
So while there may be some 'jokes' between our latest Holmes brothers, they are simply that: jokes as a nod to the canon. I read somewhere that someone thought Mycroft must be constantly dieting or something for those jokes to be relevant. I don't think 'our' Mycroft has that problem at all really.

As for their childhood, where do you get the idea from that it was violent???
Many children are naturally inquisitive about their surroundings & other people without there being any violence in their upbringing. They went to good schools & Universities, so I'd hardly think they needed to find something they could do to earn money.
I'd tend to think they had a rather privileged upbringing.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

May 24, 2012 5:14 am  #6

kazza474 wrote:

I read somewhere that someone thought Mycroft must be constantly dieting or something for those jokes to be relevant. I don't think 'our' Mycroft has that problem at all really.

That was actually a statement Moftiss made. They threw the lines "Putting on weight?" "Losing it" and "How's the diet going" "Fine" in as a reference to the fact that Mycroft is fat in the stories, so they decided that he has a yo-yoing weight problem in our version. I think it was Mark said it, maybe in a commentary?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

May 24, 2012 5:20 am  #7

I know he said it & I know it's in the scripts etc.

What I was saying was someone in a forum, or something started theorising that Mycroft may have been in bad health etc etc.
They were starting to do a 'what if this happened or that happened' thing; speculating past the evidence in front of us.
The yo-yoing weight thing was a bit of a laugh; I doubt we will see a 'beefed up' Mycroft at any stage.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

May 24, 2012 5:22 am  #8

Ah okay. Yeah I enjoy not knowing their backstory. I understand why Benedict would want to create one as an actor but it is rather fun just speculating on what could make two men grow into the people that they are, lacking in empathy but able to mimic and manipulate others at will. And what drove Sherlock to the 'side of the angels' and not into a life of crime? Fascinating.

But then I often think if I had the aptitude for academic study I'd love to do sociology and/or psychology. People fascinate me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

May 24, 2012 6:00 am  #9

I recall reading Gatiss (I think) saying that he thought it is more fun NOT to reveal too much of the Holmes' early family life in one big 'lump' & that the mystery/wondering was a far more exciting way to handle it for now.

Little snippets every now & then could be fun.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

May 24, 2012 8:46 am  #10

I think Mark makes an excellent Mycroft, and the chemistry between him and Benedict on screen is wonderful. I'm glad we're seeing more of Mycroft. He's always been a fascinating character to me.

Yeah, the diet jokes are spot on.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

August 2, 2012 12:53 pm  #11

Mark plays him so brilliantly! You totally forget that Mycroft and Mark are actually the same person. And that is what good acting should do.

I was a Sherlock Holmes virgin before. Never read a book, I guess I must have seen one of the old films as a child, because my father was/ is a big fan, has all the books and the Jeremy Brett DVDs.
So all I knew about Sherlock Holmes was there is a Doctor Watson. Therefore I know just one version of Mycroft.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

August 7, 2012 2:16 am  #12

I too think Mark plays Mycroft so brilliantly.  I  LOVE the fact that these writers are giving Mycroft more to do in this version of ACD's  stories.  They DID  have another actor scheduled to play the part, but that actor couldn't do it for some reason, so Mark, being an actor himself, stepped in.  The rest is history.  Sometimes I wish they'd give Mycroft a whole episode to do himself.   That's how much I love this character.  I love how his suits fit him, and that umbrella prop is wonderful, too.  He carries that with aplomb.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

August 20, 2012 7:15 pm  #13

----------

August 20, 2012 7:38 pm  #14

Hihi, I already feel sick....

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

August 20, 2012 8:09 pm  #15

That's Baskerville, isn't it?

----------

September 6, 2012 1:30 pm  #16

Yes, after Sherlock got into that military base with his card, I think.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Oh, very clever, Worf. Eat any good books, lately?" -Q-

Board footera