BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 23, 2012 6:30 pm  #1

Hello everybody

So I have find my way to this part of the web.
I am from Germany and as some of you I am fighting with my school english. I started to read Sherlock in german in a children's version when I got my first Sherlock-book in english I was not able to read it. It took me until I was 30 to read it and I have to blame Jeremy Brett that I got the understanding of the victorian english.
So I learned a lot with Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson and they are the ones who got me interested in all sorts of crime literature and TV-shows.

May 23, 2012 6:34 pm  #2

Re: Hello everybody

Willkommen! I hope you have a lot of fun with our forum.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 23, 2012 7:02 pm  #3

Hallo Violet,
schön, dass du hier bist! We're not the only Germans around here - though we're still too few...
Enjoy yourself!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

May 23, 2012 7:18 pm  #4

Hello German!
Willkommen im Forum.

Nice to see that there are really quite some German Sherlockians...
where are you all hiding IRL?

May 23, 2012 7:47 pm  #5

Hi there VH,

Welcome to the forums - I'm sure you will like it here!

-m0r

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

May 24, 2012 5:45 am  #6

welcome Violet Hunter!!  you are the Solitary Cyclist I  LOVED  that story  and I have icons of her riding her bike.   your english is very good!!   But I think that german is a very pretty language.  is it easy to learn?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

May 24, 2012 8:40 am  #7

Welcome Violet....and yes, good choice of name. Particularly love the Jeremy Brett ep of that one.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

May 24, 2012 2:45 pm  #8

Thank you all for the warm welcome. 

I do not know how hard german is to learn but I have heard that the grammar is hard to learn. I never got it right myself.   

May 25, 2012 5:33 pm  #9

Willkommen (I'm not German, but I live there )

May 25, 2012 9:02 pm  #10

"So, the American tourist gets lost in Germany, and is desperate to find a fellow-countryman from whom he could get directions. To make matters worse, his allergies are giving him fits. He bursts forth with an uncontrollable sneeze, and a man next to him says, "Gesundheit!".

"Finally!" cries the traveler. "Someone who speaks English."

Ahem. Welcome, Violet!

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

May 26, 2012 2:03 am  #11

Welcome = ).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Wanted! Schrödinger's cat. Dead and alive."

May 31, 2012 5:48 am  #12

Hi Violet.  You welcomed me in Introductions and noted my user name wimsey.  Now it's my turn to say that I do love your user name.  Didn't realize it was from the Solitary Cyclist until I read the comments above.  That's one of my favorite stories and I too enjoy the Jeremy Brett version when it comes on the TV. Your English is very good and I envy you for knowing a second language so well.  Hope to see you around the Boards!

June 4, 2012 5:22 pm  #13

sorry I am so late replying but I had a busy weekend, but now I am back.

Thanks for the compliment on my english. For that I can only blame A C Doyle, Dorothy L Sayers, Jeremy Brett and maybe Martin Shaw. I like seeing the english TV series in english and not in german. The jokes are better and I can improve my english and getting a feeling for the language. My english learned at school was really bad reading and watching helped me a lot.

@ wimsey
I like both Ian Carmichael and Edward Petherbridge for their portraits of Lord Peter. I could understand Harriets problem to marry Wimsey, she wanted to be shire about herself. But for me it is one of the best love stories ever written. I especially love the part in the boat when she realizes that she is in love with him. But that scene translated not so well in TV.

June 5, 2012 2:32 am  #14

Hi Violet.  Could you please tell me which Sayers/Wimsey book the boat scene is in?  I admit to having watched the BBC interpretation with Petherbridge and not having read the books (except for Busman's Honeymoon).  Thanks!

June 5, 2012 4:31 am  #15

Tantalus wrote:

"So, the American tourist gets lost in Germany, and is desperate to find a fellow-countryman from whom he could get directions. To make matters worse, his allergies are giving him fits. He bursts forth with an uncontrollable sneeze, and a man next to him says, "Gesundheit!".

"Finally!" cries the traveler. "Someone who speaks English."

Ahem. Welcome, Violet!

Reminds me of a story about Mark Twain.

One time during a visit to Germany with his friend the Reverend Joe Twichell, Twain was talking about some rather private matters to Twichell within earshot of some Germans, and Twichell became nervous about it.

“Speak in German, Mark,† urged Twichell. “Some of these people may understand English.â€

rob k

June 5, 2012 11:07 am  #16

Welcome Violet I hope you adore this forum as much as I am learning to

Disguise is always a self portrait

June 9, 2012 2:19 am  #17

OOPS!!   I  made a mistake.  Miss  Violet SMITH  is from the Solitary Cyclist---but Violet Hunter is from the Adventure of the Copper Beeches.   I  do apologize for my error!!   But I do hope you are enjoying yourself!!  Yes,  Jeremy Brett filmed BOTH stories.

Last edited by sherlockskitty (June 9, 2012 2:20 am)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

Board footera