BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 18, 2018 9:29 pm  #21

Re: How would your perfect S5 look like?

besleybean wrote:

I will just take any S 5...

Well, THAT is a given. But wishful thinking is always nice. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 20, 2018 5:31 pm  #22

Solving crimes with Rosie in tow, that's all I want. And they should live together again.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

January 20, 2018 5:34 pm  #23

I could say yes to all of that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 21, 2018 2:57 am  #24

Elemental wrote:

kgreen20 wrote:

Vhanja wrote:

I see your point about John's violence. But I don't necessarily need to see a "reason" for that, but backstory in general. There are many fanfics author that assumes John's parents (or at least his father) was abusive, and they say it's implied in his official blog. I am not sure what they base that on, but it would be interesting to learn more about his parents anyhow.

I am myself a bit weary of drama involving Rosie. It would just be too cliche if someone kidnapped or threatened her. Then again, I guess that can be done if it's written well.

But, yes, I agree with  John being the one who ought to be in danger now. Not because someone wants to get to Sherlock, but someone actually targetting him. Or, the other way around, Sherlock being in real danger (not danger he has acted and planted, but something unforeseen) and John actually making a proper effort and being a proper friend and hero to save him.

I think I have read too many fanfics... 

I'll go with John being targeted personally.  By someone from his past seeking revenge against him, or an evil psychopath like Culverton Smith who targets him.  Perhaps both.

kgreen20: I love the idea of John being targeted for someone from his past. We would be able to know a bit more of his backstory and it would be cool that he being in danger wasn't just a consequence of being Sherlock's friend. The only problem with that would be, for me, going back to the dynamics of "save John Watson", which I think has been over-exploited for the last two seasons.

TEH: The bonfire.
TSoT: It's all about how Sherlock Loves John and will protect him forever.
HLV: Saving Mary so he can save John. Thinking about what's best for John.
TST: Searching for Mary so he can help her and help John.
TLD: Saving John Watson from himself.
TLP: Saving John from Eurus.

In that sense, I'm with Vhanja and would very much like to see John saving Sherlock in a very unequivocal way, instead of just supporting him.

Don't forget that John also had to be saved twice during the first season--first from the Chinese smugglers, and then from Moriarty.  And he did save Sherlock in an unequivocal way on two occasions: when he shot the cabbie  (in fact, he saved Sherlock first), and when he saved Sherlock from Smith in the fourth season, when Smith tried to smother him to death.

And I agree that John should move back to Baker Street.  After all, that's what the ACD Dr. Watson did in canon.  The trouble is, the ACD John Watson was not a single father, and BBC John Watson is, and that creates a problem right there.

Last edited by kgreen20 (January 21, 2018 2:59 am)

January 21, 2018 7:45 am  #25

And they possibly did that just to annoy us!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 21, 2018 11:31 am  #26

I do not see why John being a single father should be an impediment for living with Sherlock. Two dads are better than one. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 21, 2018 12:07 pm  #27

It's not the living together, it's 221B itself.  It would have to change in character to accommodate a child, I think.   It's a fun place for a teenager but maybe not ideal for a growing child.  However, we never see John's bedroom so I suppose that could just be assumed to be the perfect space for play, homework, etc.  Actually, Sherlock's bedroom would be fine too, with some toys, etc.  And of course the living room could be made child-friendly: I'm just saying that it would have a different feel. 

It also depends on how long it takes it for S5, and how far they jump ahead in time!  It would be an easy option to send Rosie to boarding school, if they didn't want her playing too large a part.

January 21, 2018 12:23 pm  #28

I stand by my previous point: if Sherlock is some how being cast as a second dad, why isn't Mrs H a substitute mother?
I think just as she is more of an honorary grandmother, by the same token: Sherlock would be an honorary uncle.
A second dad implies more than there is.
Rosie's mother was killed: her father did not leave Mary for Sherlock.
But anyhow, them all being in 221 B would be lovely.
Yes they could either jump forward in time a bit and Rosie be away at school or jump forward a lot and Rosie be at least a plucky teenage, if not a young adult.

January 21, 2018 6:18 pm  #29

Liberty wrote:

And of course the living room could be made child-friendly: I'm just saying that it would have a different feel. 

I remember people checking out the new pieces of furniture and they are indeed more child-friendly. For example they used a coffee table with rounded corners. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 21, 2018 6:33 pm  #30

You mean in S 4?
Might have had to for having toddlers on set, possibly.

January 21, 2018 9:29 pm  #31

Well, being a dying fan of "Nature and Nurture", I don't see how 221B can't include a child. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

January 22, 2018 7:45 am  #32

I think it can, too.
Just trying to help those who may think it can't!

January 22, 2018 8:13 am  #33

I think they've shown that a child isn't going to "get in the way", so it would be perfectly possible.  I'm just kind of attached to non-child-friendly 221B.  But people move on, and I can see it could change without losing too much of it's character.  It wouldn't really be an issue with an older child/teenager. 

January 22, 2018 12:44 pm  #34

I would prefer if there were no child in the picture as well. But Rosie is there so we have to relate to her one way or another. And I much prefer John living in 221B than any other place.

Team Hudders!

January 22, 2018 5:28 pm  #35

Don't we all?!

January 22, 2018 7:51 pm  #36

Definitely! =)

And with that said, surely there's more than one bedroom on the third floor, as we Americans call it.  Rosie could sleep in the bedroom next to her dad's.  (Or on the other side of the half-bath, if there's one next to his bedroom, as I hope there is.)  221C would not be suitable for a father and his child--too moldy and too small.  But another bedroom on the same floor where he sleeps would work nicely.  This way, Rosie could be raised by her dad, her Uncle Sherlock, and her Grandma Hudson! =)

And if John does move back to Baker Street in Season 5 with Rosie, as I hope he'll do, I hope that this time, they'll let us see his bedroom!  We got to see Sherlock's, but never John's.

Last edited by kgreen20 (January 22, 2018 7:55 pm)

January 22, 2018 8:22 pm  #37

No, there s just John's bedroom upstairs. The only bathroom is the one next to Sherlock's room.

Last edited by besleybean (January 22, 2018 8:23 pm)

January 22, 2018 9:06 pm  #38

She could just share John's bedroom for a while, although it might get a bit awkward as she gets older and wants some privacy.  Maybe the room would be big enough to partition, though.  Or John could sleep in the living room.  Or Rosie could move in with Mrs Hudson?

January 23, 2018 3:16 am  #39

That would be awkward!

And why would there be only one bedroom on the entire third floor?  As a fanfic writer once put it, unless John's room is the size of a basketball court, it can't possibly be the only room on that whole floor! =)

January 23, 2018 7:27 am  #40

Rosie will sleep in John's room while she's a baby/toddler, and due to natural events John will movie into Sherlock's room eventually. 

Team Hudders!

Board footera