BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 30, 2017 9:02 pm  #1

Thor Ragnarok

Just got in from seeing this.
Only a small cameo from Benedict, but I am shallow enough to enjoy him and Tom(Strange and Loki) occupying the same space.
Cool Sherlock Holmes joke, too!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 1, 2017 12:27 pm  #2

Re: Thor Ragnarok

Thanks for the information, I had wondered what the "Allow me to help you" in the endcredits of Dr. Strange would lead to. But if it's only a cameo, I think I'll wait for the DVD to arrive at the libary...

Last edited by Kittyhawk (November 1, 2017 12:27 pm)

November 1, 2017 1:45 pm  #3

I had no idea he had appearance in the film.

Clueing for looks.

November 1, 2017 5:32 pm  #4

Sorry, I just thought people knew!
He will be in the next one A LOT I am guessing and my daughter confirms that he should be...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 2, 2017 10:12 am  #5

Yitzock wrote:

I thought Dr. Strange made that clear (you know that you need to watch the end credits in Marvel movies, don't you?), actually, from what I saw I would have expected more than only a cameo...

Besleybean, would you let me in on the Sherlock joke (in spoiler tags so as not to kill the fun for anybody else). I'm curious, but not curious enough to go to  the cinema...

November 2, 2017 6:02 pm  #6

I'll just PM you!

November 2, 2017 6:32 pm  #7

I'd love to know about the joke too :o

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

November 2, 2017 8:06 pm  #8

Me too!

I'm not that into Marvel but I saw the Dr Strange movie.^^

- - -

Breathing is boring!

English isn't my first language, feel free to correct me via PM!

November 3, 2017 1:21 pm  #9

Kittyhawk wrote:

Yitzock wrote:

I thought Dr. Strange made that clear (you know that you need to watch the end credits in Marvel movies, don't you?), actually, from what I saw I would have expected more than only a cameo... 

I've heard about their credits scenes, but I have not seen any of those films, including Doctor Strange. That's why I didn't know about his appearance in this movie.

Clueing for looks.

November 3, 2017 2:34 pm  #10

I'm trying to find a date where my friend and I can watch this. 

I have a question though... I've seen the first Thor movie, but not the second. Will I be completely lost? 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

November 3, 2017 4:40 pm  #11

I can't even remember which ones I'd seen...
I doubt you'll be lost: they are not rocket science!

November 4, 2017 9:50 am  #12

Yitzock wrote:

Kittyhawk wrote:

Yitzock wrote:

I've heard about their credits scenes, but I have not seen any of those films, including Doctor Strange. That's why I didn't know about his appearance in this movie.

Then I cross my fingers for you that your library has - or will soon get - Dr. Strange! I found it much more watcheable than most of Marvel's other movies (though they are so different from each other that I guess one actually has to watch every one to decide whether one likes it - I hated Avengers Age of Ultron to the point of fast-forwarding quite a bit, but Captain America Civil War had some really nice moments - cutting out 20 Minutes of gratuitous fighting could make it a very good movie).

Btw, nowadays (i. e. in Dr. Strange and Civil War, don't know about Ragnarok) there are two bonus scenes in the end credits! One in the middle, one at the very end.

November 4, 2017 9:52 am  #13

I'll watch anything with Hiddles in and Benedict is just a bonus!

January 27, 2018 11:02 pm  #14

I've watched this movie tonight,and I absolutely loved it! I don't really like Marvel/Avengers, and I only watched it for Ben (and a bit for Tom), but I ended up seeing the Dr. Strange scenes as a mere bonus. This movie was surprisingly entertaining and funny - I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard while watching a movie!

No wonder, though, it's directed by the amazing Taika Waititi, he makes hilarious stuff.

There are many great actors in this movie - Ben, Tom Hiddleston, Anthony Hopkins, Karl Urban, Jeff Goldblum, Cate Blanchett... Chris Hemsworth and Mark Ruffalo are also great. And Mr. Waititi himself voicing a character named Korg - whenever he opens his mouth, I cry with laughter. Amazing all over!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 28, 2018 8:14 am  #15

So glad you enjoyed it, I loved it.

September 24, 2018 3:33 pm  #16

Having finally caught up to the fact that one has to watch all the Marvel movies, preferably in order, in order to really understand each new one (I would have enjoyed Infinity War more if I had seen Guardians of the Galaxy beforehand)  I've finally gotten Thor: Ragnarok from the library (there is an interlibrary loan system - what's 60 km of e-biking if you get to see Loki and Dr. Strange ;) ). And I'm so happy that I didn't spend any money on it! After The Dark World and considering the topic (it's about the destruction of a world, after all) I was expecting some high drama.

What I got was silly jokes from beginning to end, with a completely ridiculous buffoon Thor - I have never been a great fan of his but I don't think he deserved that -, a practically powerless Loki and a Dr. Strange scene that's hardly any longer than what we had already seen at the end of the Dr. Strange movie, which made me feel cheated.

I've watched it twice, in case I missed something the first time but no, it doesn't grow on me (unlike the first and second Thor movies and even Avengers: Age of Ultron which wasn't all that bad upon rewatching). For me the mood of the movie is just wrong...

I sort of understand Vhanja's point of view - as a silly comedy the movie might be okay, but the thing is that I don't think the Apocalypse should be played as a silly comedy, so I was put off right from the very first scene. It also doesn't feel at all like a sequel to The Dark World...

September 24, 2018 3:37 pm  #17

See I loved this and prefered it to Infinity War.
But yes, Infinity War was a darker movie and maybe it had to be.

September 27, 2018 1:04 pm  #18

I was not comparing to Infinity War - I only saw it once half a year ago and have forgotten all the details. If I did want to compare Ragnarok to Infinity War it would have the huge advantage of Dr. Strange and Loki surviving the end of the movie!
I was comparing to the second Thor movie, Thor: The Dark World, which is not what I'd call a good movie, but I did really enjoy the part with Loki (chapters 9 to 12). And the lighting on Svartalfheim is just so beautiful. And there's the human element, which is completely missing from Ragnarok.

September 27, 2018 3:39 pm  #19

I get so confused with the films...not sure if I have seen that or not.
But Loki and Strange always win my vote!

September 28, 2018 12:07 pm  #20

I can understand getting confused with the Marvel Films, especially since the contents don't always correspond to the title (Why Captain America: Civil War and not Avengers: Civil War?), and sometimes there seem to be several titles for the same movie - the first Avengers film is generally referred to as simply "Avengers" but my DVD clearly says "Avengers Assemble". And while looking for Thor: The Dark World on Amazon I have seen it as Thor: The Dark Kingdom (I'm assuming it's the same).

Thor: The Dark World is the one where Jane goes to Asgard and Aliens to London (which brings me to the subject of "necessary crossovers" and back to Sherlock: Where was Mycroft that day?)

Btw, are you as pissed off as I am that only the Blu-Rays seem to have decent bonus material? At least for the recent movies - the first Thor-DVD has a commentary by Kenneth Branagh...

Board footera