BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 2, 2013 11:22 am  #21

Re: Sherlock & Moriarty Tea Scene

I assumed it was for dramatic effect.
But maybe upsetting the English institutions?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 2, 2013 11:25 am  #22

It's even more dramatic when you know the meaning of falling.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

June 2, 2013 11:51 am  #23

Yeah, like England falling to Moriarty...
makes sense

June 2, 2013 11:57 am  #24

IamSherLock3d wrote:

Yeah, like England falling to Moriarty...
makes sense

I was actually referring to Sherlock's fall from the roof, but you also have a point! So many meanings of falling... *sigh*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

June 23, 2013 4:52 am  #25

I don't think the final problem is staying alive. Moriarty kills himself in the end after all. I think it is more that the two great forces of Sherlock and Moriarty cannot coexist: both can't remain alive.

Moriarty does give Sherlock a metaphorical and then a literal fall. Moriarty disgraces Sherlock and then puts him in a situation where he is forced into committing suicide.

The IOUs I think are a sign to Sherlock that Moriarty has had a hand in the various events during which the IOUs appear.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is the foil of a detective a thief or a magician?

My Theory on the Fall: http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=21539#p21539

June 23, 2013 7:47 am  #26

I think you're right.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 29, 2014 8:22 pm  #27

IOU definitely does mean something. After all, this show is all about cases so every detail means something. In season 2 episode 3 there's this scene where sherlock is analyzing something in a microscope at the lab, and he mumbles, I o u.. After Molly questions him about it and he just replys with, "nothing, just a mental note". I could write a whole essay about I ou haha so I'll just leave it there. Just search on google what does I o u mean in sherlock and you'll find a good theory

Board footera