BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 20, 2012 7:43 pm  #161

Re: Languages

Let's not forget haggis. I actually eat almost no meat, so I left it to my husbad to try haggis when we were in Scotland. He thought it was fine.

Re: offal. Of course, the joke is that it's just awful.

September 20, 2012 8:06 pm  #162

Haggis is fine if slightly spicy. I've been to a couple of Burns' Nights and there is always haggis with tatties and neeps (potatoes and turnips). Delicious!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 20, 2012 9:41 pm  #163

Hm, I think I'll go back to the favourite Ben pics. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

September 20, 2012 11:01 pm  #164

It is early morning in my place and I haven't had breakfast today and you're speaking about the food...   
There is a restaurant in my town where there's a dish called 'Hot hearts'. It is spicy stewed chicken hearts. I never was fond of offal, but that dish -you'll lick your fingers )))

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Sherlock: "I need to get some air, we're going out tonight."
John: "Actually, I've uh, got a date."
Sherlock: "What?"
John: "It's where two people who like each other go out and have fun."
Sherlock: "That's what I was suggesting."

September 21, 2012 11:07 am  #165

veecee wrote:

TicTacToe wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

Il y a aussi des plats francais moins délicieux. Une amie habitait avec une famille en France. Un jour elle entrait dans la cuisine et il y avait une grande casserole sur la cuisinière. Elle regardait dedans et découvrait une tête de veau. Elle était horrifiée! 

Il y a la langue de boeuf aussi qui est sympa dans le genre... miam, miam  !

Plus sérieusement je suis française et je n'ai jamais mangée ni l'un ni l'autre de ces plats, beurk... 

Et petite on a essayé de me faire manger des Tripes, impossible l'odeur est immonde, j'ai failli vomir... lol

Mais il y des tas d'autres plats délicieux !

I once ate tripe by accident in Mexico. Also brains. I don't know what the zombies see in them.

Braaaiiins....

Anyway, in France I could just live on the cheese.

Eating tripes by accident erk what a nightmare lol, and brain i never taste 

About french cheese yes it's delicious i agree. 

September 21, 2012 11:22 am  #166

TicTacToe wrote:

veecee wrote:

TicTacToe wrote:

Il y a la langue de boeuf aussi qui est sympa dans le genre... miam, miam  !

Plus sérieusement je suis française et je n'ai jamais mangée ni l'un ni l'autre de ces plats, beurk... 

Et petite on a essayé de me faire manger des Tripes, impossible l'odeur est immonde, j'ai failli vomir... lol

Mais il y des tas d'autres plats délicieux !

I once ate tripe by accident in Mexico. Also brains. I don't know what the zombies see in them.

Braaaiiins....

J'ai jamais mangé ça ! Yuk ! God, you talk about cooking...et une langue de boeuf..? Vous faites des leçons de cuisine ?

September 21, 2012 11:39 am  #167

Emy Klevers wrote:

TicTacToe wrote:

veecee wrote:

Braaaiiins....

J'ai jamais mangé ça ! Yuk ! God, you talk about cooking...et une langue de boeuf..? Vous faites des leçons de cuisine ?

Non c'est qu'un peu plus haut sur ce forum une personne qui est americaine je crois a vecu un peu en france et un jour il y avait de la tete de veau au menu lol alors du coup je parlais d'autres plats que je trouvais degoutants comme les tripes ou la langue de boeuf.

September 21, 2012 5:05 pm  #168

TicTacToe wrote:

Emy Klevers wrote:

TicTacToe wrote:

Non c'est qu'un peu plus haut sur ce forum une personne qui est americaine je crois a vecu un peu en france et un jour il y avait de la tete de veau au menu lol alors du coup je parlais d'autres plats que je trouvais degoutants comme les tripes ou la langue de boeuf.

Non mais j'avais compris que ce n'était pas des recettes de cuisines ! Mais ça m'a fait rappeler "un diner presque parfait" c'est pour ça que j'ai dit ça !

September 21, 2012 7:57 pm  #169

The tripe was in some soup. I thought it was chicken skin, which would have been bad enough, but just as I got it in my mouth, someone said, "Panza!" So there I was, stuck having to get it down. It was rubbery. It's probably why I hardly eat any meat now.

The braaaiiins were fried in so much grease, that they didn't taste like anything in particularly. But once I found out....

October 5, 2012 8:15 pm  #170

About speaking french and  food i just discover the tv show "Frasier", it's damn good. I love when they speak in french it's so funny ("bon appetite !"). And when the characters speak in french for a dog to not understand what they say and try to catch him... lol

Last edited by TicTacToe (October 5, 2012 8:24 pm)

October 6, 2012 7:00 am  #171

Frasier is/was a very classy show. I absolutely love watching it. It has everything in it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 6, 2012 8:24 pm  #172

TicTacToe wrote:

About speaking french and  food i just discover the tv show "Frasier", it's damn good. I love when they speak in french it's so funny ("bon appetite !"). And when the characters speak in french for a dog to not understand what they say and try to catch him... lol

I don't know if you know that they are considered pretentious for speaking French, and that is part of the joke for Americans.

By the way, I got to meet the original Eddie, the dog. Very well-behaved. As I remember, his real name was Moose. (Elan?)

Last edited by veecee (October 6, 2012 8:25 pm)

October 6, 2012 8:35 pm  #173

Davina wrote:

Frasier is/was a very classy show. I absolutely love watching it. It has everything in it.

I agree. I watched the whole series couple years ago and the characters are so funny and the humor truly has it's own identity. The banter between Frasier, Niles and Martin is uncanny. Even Eddie is funny. Truly an original show and I love it.

Oh wait. Should have I said that in some other language? Kai sitä vois mut sä et kumminkaa ymmärtäis siit sanaakaa.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

October 6, 2012 9:09 pm  #174

Dramagod wrote:

Davina wrote:

I agree. I watched the whole series couple years ago and the characters are so funny and the humor truly has it's own identity. The banter between Frasier, Niles and Martin is uncanny. Even Eddie is funny. Truly an original show and I love it.

Oh wait. Should have I said that in some other language? Kai sitä vois mut sä et kumminkaa ymmärtäis siit sanaakaa.

How pretentious! 

October 6, 2012 9:13 pm  #175

Pretentious? Moi?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 6, 2012 9:45 pm  #176

What exactly does that sentence mean, Drama?

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

October 6, 2012 9:48 pm  #177

It's a secret, my dear. Big hush hush.

October 7, 2012 5:47 am  #178

veecee wrote:

TicTacToe wrote:

I don't know if you know that they are considered pretentious for speaking French, and that is part of the joke for Americans.

Yeah i'm aware of that and for me they are pretentious guys (Frasier & Niles) but not only because they speak french sometimes, there is also well... their taste of food, wine and fine alcohol, clothes, music, car etc... Even their names sounds pretencious for me lol. But they're so funny, i just discover the show and i'm already an addict.

October 7, 2012 9:07 am  #179

Frasier and Niles are indeed very pretentious. In a good warm way. They think that anyone not that educated on wines, classical music and clothes are hicks. They think they're smarter than others. And whenever there's someone important around, they start kissing their butt. As much as they love their dad Martin, they don't think that highly of his friends or the way he dresses and watches "rubbish" on TV. But this all is a part of the charm of the show. These two highly educated and culturally knowledgeable individuals still can't cope too well with the "riff raff" of the world, even though they're both psychiatrists. So to me their snobs and pretentious, but still very likeable characters.

October 7, 2012 12:07 pm  #180

What is also fantastic is that their dad produced such boys. You can tell he still really cannot believe that he has or how it happened. Their pretentious often backfire on them and that is what makes the programme so funny. That and a wonderful element of farce that often comes to the fore. I am thinking, in particular, of the episode in the cabin with potential girlfriends/boyfriends. My other particular favourite episode is when they go ice fishing with their father. Hysterically funny.

Board footera