BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 26, 2012 11:44 am  #61

Re: Languages

Ach, das ist ja eine nette Idee, danke dafür  !

Ich bin so froh, dass es dieses Forum gibt, nicht zuletzt deshalb, weil ich hoffe, bald mein Englisch verbessern zu können!
Es fällt mir schon fast ein bisschen schwer, auf deutsch zu schreiben und zu lesen, weil ich Sherlock auf englisch sehe (und mittlerweile die deutsche Übersetzung nicht mehr aushalte, besonders BC's Stimme ist im Original einfach viiiiel besser) und mich hier in dem Forum stundenlang herumtreibe  .

Wenn es hier noch mehr deutschsprachige Fans gibt - und den Eindruck macht es zumindest - vielleicht können wir ja auch mal auf Deutsch diskutieren, teilweise ist es nämlich echt schwer für mich, meine Gedanken zu Sherlock ins Englische zu übersetzen....?

Liebe Grüße aus Wien!

June 26, 2012 11:57 am  #62

Der Bereich ist ja wirklich super! :D
Liebe carrot, du sprichst mir wahrlich aus der Seele (hoffentlich blamiere ich mich nicht damit - aber du bist weiblich, oder?)
Sherlock auf Deutsch anzusehen ist mir nicht mehr möglich, dazu hat mich BC zu sehr mit seiner unglaublich schönen Stimme verzaubert! Obwohl es stellen in den Originalepisoden gibt, die ich bis jetzt nicht verstehe... leider

June 26, 2012 12:12 pm  #63

sherlove wrote:

Sherlock auf Deutsch anzusehen ist mir nicht mehr möglich, dazu hat mich BC zu sehr mit seiner unglaublich schönen Stimme verzaubert! Obwohl es stellen in den Originalepisoden gibt, die ich bis jetzt nicht verstehe... leider

1. Ja! Ja! Ja! Ja! Ja!
2. Ich schaue sie mir manchmal mit englischen Untertiteln an, da lernt man was und versteht es trotzdem - und kann die Stimme genießen .

Last edited by SusiGo (June 26, 2012 12:13 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 26, 2012 12:17 pm  #64

SusiGo I have a question for you. From what I remember from my highschool German, certain words are written with a capital letter, even if they're not names of people or places. Nowadays when in the internet many people discard capital letters all together to write faster and just don't care about capital letters, is it a problem in German language? Do some words change their meaning or something, if they're not written with a capital letter even if they're supposed to?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

June 26, 2012 12:24 pm  #65

SusiGo...firstly I love the quote about hyenas. I am just wondering now how many people are thinking, 'But I don't remember that bit in Sherlock' and 'Who is Arthur? Do they mean Sir Arthur Conan Doyle?'

Secondly...that funny sort of German you wrote...is it dialect? Would it possibly be Bayerische? (It looks a bit like the archaic German that Sabine Wiegand uses in her novels in places but I think that is because spelling wasn't standardised then).

I'll have a go at translating...
I find the forum here really good, girls and boys. It puts an end to your worries.

Bit of a guess really. And I suspect laachste might be laugh?!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 26, 2012 12:34 pm  #66

In German all nouns are written with a capital letter and also adjectives and verbs used as nouns. You are right, many people don't use any capital letters in the internet but that usually doesn't change the meaning of the words. Now wait, I just found an example where it could change the meaning: "Gehen Sie mit?" means "Will you come with us?" "gehen sie mit" could also mean "Will they come with us"? So there may be a change of meaning after all.
I always try to write "correctly" because I professionally deal with language(s), but I don't mind if people don't use capital letters. What I do not like is random spelling because it shows they simply don't know their grammar  .
Another thing that bothers me is when Germans start transferring English spelling to their own language. In English you say "Tom's book" using the apostrophe. In German, however, it would be "Toms Buch" but today many people write "Tom's Buch" (what some purists call Deppen-Apostroph or idiot's apostrophe).

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 26, 2012 12:43 pm  #67

My teacher gave me this example (rude, a bit, maybe, depending on where you put the capital letters).

HELFT DEN ARMEN VOEGELN

My problem, having learnt German, is that I now put capital letters in places in English where they shouldn't be.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 26, 2012 12:47 pm  #68

Didn't know this one myself, Davina, LOL

i Hope your english Doesn't Suffer too Much.

June 26, 2012 1:22 pm  #69

@Dramagod, I agree with SusiGo that the capital letters usually don't change the meaning (with the obvious exception of Davina's lovely example  ), because in German the same word can rarely be used as a verb and a noun (as opposed to English, where you can use just about any noun as a verb).

@SusiGo, du sprichst mir aus der Seele! Anglizismen nehmen dermaßen überhand, dass es den meisten Leuten gar nicht mehr auffällt. Mich nervt es zum Beispiel immer noch, wenn jemand "das macht Sinn" sagt, aber viele meiner Freunde und Kollegen finden es völlig in Ordnung. Wobei ich gestehen muss, dass es wohl in Deutschland gar nicht so falsch ist, ihr sagt ja schließlich auch eins und eins macht zwei, oder?

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"There is no such word as 'impossible' in my dictionary. In fact, everything between 'herring' and 'marmalade' seems to be missing." Dirk Gently

Finally, I have made it to Cipher Expert :-))))) (8.8.2012)

June 26, 2012 3:09 pm  #70

@SusiGo: Oh, eine Gladbacherin?! :D Wat is dat denn he?
and @Davina: Yes, she was using dialect, but no... that is far from Bavarian :D

Oh gosh, I use WAY too many Anglicisms in my everyday language :/

and @Irene: I'm glad you enjoy my Spanish ;)

Na ja, ich weiß nicht, aber hier sind ja schon einige Deutsch sprechende Individuen. Vielleicht könnten wir ja in der Tat hier einen Thread aufmachen, in welchem wir über die Dinge diskutieren, die wir im Englischen nicht verstehen, nicht ausdrücken können etc., nur halt eben alles auf Deutsch. Da wäre ich auch gerne bereit, daran teilzunehmen. Solange das unsere anderen Mitglieder, die Deutsch nicht verstehen, nicht zu sehr stören sollte.

June 26, 2012 3:24 pm  #71

@Sammy: Ja, von Geburt an. Isch bin ausm Lürrip un minge Eltern wohne immer noch do. "Das macht Sinn" ist einfach ein schrecklicher Anglizismus, während man "eins und eins macht zwei" immer sagen konnte. Ich hätte auch noch "nicht wirklich" und "ich erinnere das" anzubieten.

Beim Thread wäre ich auch dabei, falls die anderen nichts dagegen haben. Wir können ja mal ganz lieb fragen  .

@Davina: Yes, I love the Cabin Pressure quote. This and all the others … it was hard to decide which one to choose … I was tempted by the drinking Wodka through a straw contest as well …
The dialect is spoken in the Lower Rhineland where I live and yes, laachste means laughing. The phrase means something like "laughing one's head off".

Last edited by SusiGo (June 26, 2012 3:27 pm)

June 26, 2012 3:54 pm  #72

Wo ihr hier gerade über Anglizismen sprecht: Der allerschlimmste für mich ist: "den Unterschied machen" von "to make a difference"! Das kann man im Deutschen schlicht nicht sagen (abgesehen davon, dass die Übersetzung falsch ist!). "Unterschied" bedeutet immer: ZU etwas. Wenn ich die Kassiererinnen bei dm in ihren "Wir machen den Unterschied"-T-Shirts sehen, bin ich stets versucht zu fragen: "Unterschied wozu? Zu einem Paar Gummistiefel? Eiern auf Toast? Also, entweder "wir unterscheiden uns positiv von..." (aber das traut man sich natürlich nicht, weil vergleichende Werbung verpönt ist!), oder doch gleich: "Wir sind sowas von gut, das glaubt ihr gar nicht!".
Ok, ich bin ja schon still. Konnte leider nicht widerstehen...

Last edited by tobeornot221b (June 26, 2012 3:55 pm)

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 26, 2012 4:08 pm  #73

Ja, diese Wendungen, die sich heimlich einschleichen, finde ich auch besonders schlimm. Ein weiterer Aufreger sind für mich Wörter wie "Handy", Hauptsache, sie klingen schön englisch, auch wenn in GB oder den USA kein Schwein weiß, wovon man spricht  .

June 26, 2012 4:16 pm  #74

Well now you guys are just showing off. Lederhose! Gesundheit! Fielen dank! Guten morgen! Guten nacht! Baby verhaftet! Ich bin ein Berliner! Schnäll! Tut mir leid! Jurgen Klinsmann! Scheisse! Die Kühe! Beethoven! And I'm out.

Last edited by Dramagod (June 26, 2012 4:17 pm)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 26, 2012 4:20 pm  #75

Brilliant, Dramagod!

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 26, 2012 4:21 pm  #76

Dramagod wrote:

Well now you guys are just showing off. Lederhose! Gesundheit! Fielen dank! Guten morgen! Guten nacht! Baby verhaftet! Ich bin ein Berliner! Schnäll! Tut mir leid! Jurgen Klinsmann! Scheisse! Die Kühe! Beethoven! And I'm out.

I love this 
Sami Hyppiä! Kiitos! Sorry, that's all I know (and I had to look up kiitos).

June 26, 2012 4:21 pm  #77

Since were talking about German language, I know this is a bit off-topic but I just have to post this. This clip is from this finnish comedy series and in it there's this sketch called "Die Kühe" which is translated in finnish as "The Solvers". I don't know about you guys, but I think this is damn funny and I haven't even watched that many German detective shows. I want an opinion on this from a genuine German person. Oh, and when I was in UK, this one girl said that Die Kühe actually means "The Cows". I never checked it, and it would be easy to check in Google but I want to hear it from you guys, if this is actually true.

Here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTRPivMjRPk

June 26, 2012 4:23 pm  #78

SusiGo wrote:

Dramagod wrote:

I love this 
Sami Hyppiä! Kiitos! Sorry, that's all I know (and I had to look up kiitos).

Hah, that's funny. It's actually "Hyypiä". "Hyppiä" means jump so you just said Sami jumps. Now that's funny.

June 26, 2012 4:37 pm  #79

Okay, Hyypiä then  . Good player anyway. The video is funny, they're doing not so badly although I didn't understand some words. And, yes, "die Kühe" means "the cows". Definitely  .

June 26, 2012 4:47 pm  #80

Cool, thanks for clearing that up for me. Like I said, I haven't watched that much German detective shows but I think the music and the atmosphere of that sketch are uncanny. Stereotypical of course, but funny.

Board footera