BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 2, 2014 2:30 pm  #281

Re: Languages

Well, a little trip chez nous could change that, tonnaree...

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

November 2, 2014 4:12 pm  #282

I took 6 years of French...rarely use any!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 4, 2014 5:54 pm  #283

I had 5 years english at school and now I sit here and fight for every word I write or want to write.

Bitte nicht so drängeln, wir sind hier bei der Arbeit und nicht auf der Flucht!
Please don´t push, we are at work and not on the run.

October 14, 2015 12:05 am  #284

Ich habe ein Jahr Finnisch gelernt weil die Sprache einfach schön ist, aber ich weiss nicht mehr viel...
(I learned finnish for a year because it's beautiful! :-) don't remember much though...)

Hyvää päivää... mitä kuuluu?
Minä olen saksalainen.
Mustan kissan paksut posket...
Kiitos kahvista ja mansikaleivokksen...
Lokakuu (lieblingswort)
Lippuautomaatti (another favourite...)
Anyone here who is finnish? Please teach me!   

Ich kann kein französisch sprechen, aber ich verstehe es.
Je ne peux pas parler francais, mais je le comprend...?

Ich mag Hebräisch. Aber es ist ziemlich schwer. Hab leider keine tastatur dafür grad. Musste es an der Uni lernen, aber nur das biblische... und ein paar extra Wörter. Möchte mehr davon :-)
( I love hebrew but it's difficult. And I don't have the keyboard for it right now. Learned it at uni and only know the biblical hebrew and some extras... it's on my to do list!)

Würde gerne noch Spanisch, Polnisch, Hebräisch und besseres Finnisch lernen :-)  Naja, vielleicht. Und Gaelisch... aber die aussprache bringt mich um :-)
(Want to learn spanish, polish, hebrew and proper finnish, then i'm happy. Maybe. There is still gaelic... but the pronounciation gives me headaches...)

Meine chinesischen mitbewohner haben mir gezeigt dass ich nie chinesisch lernen werde, die Aussprache ist mir ein Rätsel...
(Got chinese flatmates and I know I won't learn it ever. The pronounciation is a mystery to me.)

Wenn ich mal mein Hebräisch und Altgriechisch Trauma überwunden habe, fänd ich Arabisch noch sehr spannend... ich mag einfach andere Schriftzeichen.
(And when I get over my old greek and hebrew worries, I wouldn't mind arabic... I'm oddly fond of other letters.)

Ich sammel gern fremdsprachige Wörter. Kenne einige schöne  Dänische. Und Schwedische. Kennt ihr  noch mehr? :-)
(I love collecting words, too. Have some danish ans swedish words I love. Do you have some to share? )

Last edited by Whisky (October 14, 2015 12:45 am)

"It is what it is."

October 14, 2015 6:12 am  #285

I am still learning Dutch online, it's fun to learn! 

And the other night I took a 'certified' English fluency test, and scored 100% I nearly fainted!

Last edited by This Is The Phantom Lady (October 14, 2015 6:12 am)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

October 21, 2015 11:10 pm  #286

Congratulations, Phantom, that's cool! :-) (but please don't faint^^)

I learned dutch for one semester at university. But then I gave it up

"It is what it is."

October 21, 2015 11:19 pm  #287

Fordelen med å være skandinav er at man automatisk kan forstå og lese tre språk. Jeg er norsk, og kan lese og høre svensk og dansk. (Men dansk er lettere å lese enn å forstå muntlig, og svensk er omvendt). 

(The good thing about being Scandinavian is that you can automatically understand and read three languages. I am Norwegian, and can read and understand Swedish and Danish. Although Danish is easier to read than to understand when spoken, and Swedish is the other way around).

I also had two years of German in junior high, but my German is very, VERY basic.

Last edited by Vhanja (October 21, 2015 11:20 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

October 22, 2015 5:41 am  #288

I feel I must have contributed to this discussion already, but it is so long...I just glanced back at the first few pages.
Anyhow, to bring folks up to date with my own situation:
Only fluent in English.
Gaining fluency in Scots!
Did a year of Scots Gaelic.
Did  3 years of Welsh. Was quite fluent, but being in Scotland nearly 20 years has put pay to most of that.
Did a year of Polish. 
Did French and German to 'O' level.
My son is more of a success story: he is engaged to an Italian girl, who is registered bilingual in German and Italian. She is also fluent in English.
My son is fluent in French and German and also speaks some Italian.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 22, 2015 8:45 am  #289

Jeg må give dig ret, Vhanja, det er noget af det gode ved at være skandinaver, jeg ville dog ønske jeg var bedre til de nordiske sprog... jeg læser dem meget bedre end jeg kan høre og forstå! 

(I have to say you're right, Vhanja, it is a part of the good things about being Scandinavian, but I wish I was better at the nordic languages, I read them a lot better than I can hear and understand them though)

the scary thing about my language knowledge is that I feel I'm a lot better at English than Danish. 
Especially right now, while I'm leaning Dutch my brain is a bit scrambled... I mess up a lot of words and sometimes just can't find it at all. There's been a bit of "ehm, you know the... thing... with the... uh, thing... on the thing??"

Another fun thing about learning Dutch is that some words and phrases really remind me of Danish. My boyfriend and I talk about that sometimes!

Also, the other day after seeing Crimson Peak a man with very broken english asked me for directions at the station... I never did find out where he wanted to go. He looked at me and asked me "Spanish?" I told him I only spoke a bit... I was surprised how much I actually understood of what he said. I struggled to say much more than "sí, no, ya... no conocen, no fumar en la station!" (and I probably said that wrong)

I really hate I never learned to speak it properly despite doing A levels in high school... but we went from some very basic sentences straight to way too complicated grammar that not even a Spanish person would know. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

June 8, 2016 1:10 pm  #290

I just found this interesting video. Bit of an eye-opener for a native speaker like me :

http://consultingaytective.tumblr.com/post/145606960322/egglestrade-this-had-a-few-words-i-never

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 24, 2017 4:26 pm  #291

I have a question for the native speakers about a phrase from TFP that keeps bugging me - "you are a prisoner of your own meat."

If talking about a person, it would have to be flesh, right? Or do you see here a use of the vulgar meaning = penis? And does it seem so uncommon to native speakers as it does to me? Btw, it is the only result for this phrase I could find at all. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 24, 2017 4:32 pm  #292

I don't even remember that line!
But I would have thought it meant 'prisoner of your own body', so yes, as in flesh, I guess.
We are all worm food!

April 24, 2017 5:11 pm  #293

But would it be uncommon or even incorrect to use the word "meat" for a person? Just curious. 

It was Eurus talking to the prison governor:

"Good and bad are fairytales. We have evolved to attach an emotional significance to what is nothing more than the survival strategy of the pack animal. We are conditioned to invest divinity in utility. Good isn’t really good, evil isn’t really wrong, and bottoms aren’t really pretty. You are a prisoner of your own meat."

Last edited by SusiGo (April 24, 2017 5:12 pm)

April 24, 2017 5:13 pm  #294

It's not a saying I am familiar with, but I stand by my interpretation.
Anyone else?

April 24, 2017 6:49 pm  #295

Yes, I agree. I was just curious what speakers think about it. 

April 24, 2017 6:53 pm  #296

I think Eurus is possibly trying to say we are all at the mercy of our passions...it may be true, but I like to think some of us can rise above that!

April 24, 2017 7:18 pm  #297

It's not a phrase that anyone uses everyday. I don't think it's supposed to be. I think Eurus is intentionally making it almost seem like a vulgar or dehumanizing sentiment by calling our flesh bodies and everything they contain "meat," how certain responses are "programmed" into us by instincts that have been passed down through the generations. 
Like besley says, I believe we can rise above or change those things, but Eurus, at this point anyway, believes that not to be possible for most, or at least not just anybody.

Clueing for looks.

April 24, 2017 7:20 pm  #298

Poor woman had rather been abandoned like a piece of rotten meat.

April 25, 2017 6:34 am  #299

Thank you very much for your explanations. 

April 25, 2017 6:52 am  #300

I loved that line!  Yes, I think "meat" is derogatory, and a reminder of mortality - flesh isn't usually described as meat unless it's dead. 

Board footera